Barnes TSX Bullets in .223 for deer? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Default Barnes TSX Bullets in .223 for deer?

I know in larger calibers these bullets are good perpetrators. In Alabama you can hunt deer with .223. I have never done it and think the caliber is too small, but has anyone ever tested these for penetration and expansion in the .223 with a hot load? Energy wise, it looks like a .44 mag, but hole size is the problem unless it penetrates deep enough and opens up well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Barnes TSX Bullets in .223 for deer?

First I would advise against a .223 for deer.Having said that....I've killed more deer with the .223 than all other cartridges combined.All but one were head or neck shots.Only one needed to be shot twice.This one turned her head just as the round touched off and was hit square in the chin instead of the base of her neck....NOT pretty.I wouldn't hesitate to use a .223 again if that were all I had.The only bullet I'd NOT use again is a Nosler ballistic tip or one of the other highly frangible bullets.Was pleased with the Nosler partition bullet performance and the old Barnes X bullet but when keeping to neck shots neither is needed.My .02 of a dollar.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:38 AM

Obviously a .223 bullet will kill deer, and larger game also, but I wouldn't recommend it even where legal. To be honest I have no experience with it on any size game, just paper punching.

A few years back some idiot/criminal shot up a whole band of elk in Grand Teton NP (IIRC). I don't know for sure the weapon used but the cartridge was .223 Rem. He shot something like 15 or 16 elk, mostly cows and calves. When authorities arrived on the scene 11 or 12 were dead and they put down the ones that were wounded. Certainly not to be recommended but deadly nonetheless.

In the book "The Last Frontiersman" we read about Heimo Korth who has lived in the Alaska Natl. Wildlife Refuge for almost 40 years. Somewhere along the way he migrated from .300 WM to a .22-.250 as his go-to gun for harvesting caribou and moose to feed his family. Of course he carries a RBH .44 mag. at all times and has taken caribou with the .22LR when conditions were just right. But this is not a sport hunting situation or an average man going deer hunting for the weekend.

It's interesting to read about the "outliers" but probably not instructive. Most of us are best served by NOT emulating the exception, but the rule. The .223 isn't a choice I would consider favorably for deer regardless of the bullet used.

Quote:
Hunt close, then get closer.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM

A lot depends on the size of the deer. The first time I saw some of California's coastal deer I thought they were fawns until the next morning when I saw one with a nice rack. I've owned bigger dogs and for deer that size a .223 TSX will do fine.

If you are talking larger deer, like midwest or northern whitetails or western mulies, I'd say go with a larger cartridge. A .243"/6mm is the legal minimum here in Colorado and I admit a bias towards .25's as a better minimum.

Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Most Does I have or my friends have killed were in the 100 lb. range on the hoof. Not that big. Most of my friends use 243's or larger. I just happen to run into a guy that was going to use his .223 and was trying to work up a good load. I didn't say anything to him, but thought of the Barnes TSX for penetration and weight retention on larger calibers. They make about 3 sizes of .223 bullets. Just a thought.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM

I am going to be loading 62 gr. TSX's with barnes pet load from their web sit to start with.
The 62 gr. TSX's should group really well out of any 1:9 twist or faster barrel.
I know I am going to make a stink here but the .223 will kill a deer of any size
as long as you can shoot and you know your limitations. I shoot Hornaday 55 gr. V-Max's and any
head, neck, heart, or spine shot less than 200 yds. Its gonna die! If you hit the front shoulder
with a ballistic tip .223 you will NOT penetrate the bone all the energy will be lost on initial impact.
Breaking the front shoulder in most cases. Even with that said the animal will go down, a two shot kill.
Not Ideal, but very doable.

NYSdeerslayer
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM

I have shot numerous deer with a .223 and some with the TSX. I shoot lung, heart and quartering shots. It is not the round , it is the bullet placement. All deer were Texas deer, 75-150 lbs. The TSX will do the job.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Spend all the money you want on Barnes in .223 but don't forget the FMJ in 223-will work just the same-I've done it more that once
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 PM

I hear the 60 grain nosler partition works well also
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

FMJ ammo is illegal so that is why I asked about Barnes TSX since it has more penetration in larger calibers compared to other bullet types. I don't intend to hunt with a .223, but have known friends who have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page