savage edge or t/c venture? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Default savage edge or t/c venture?

I was thinking in a bolt action in 243 cal.
I read both rifles had good reviews
I like the savage only because the fater barrel twist but it seem there in a lot of plastic parts on the lower end.
The t/c warranty is hard to beat and with them on sale for 399.00 and a 50.00 rebate it make the deal sweeter
I am not crazy about the 1 in 10 twist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Re: savage edge or t/c venture?

Are you going to shoot 105-115gr match bullets? For 100gr & under the 1-10 does just fine.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

100 GRAINS FOR DEER HUNTING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM

I like some of the new higher end Savages, but havn't warmed up to the Edge. Some are shooting well, but this is a no contest since you can get the TC for $350.00. You get a 1" accuracy guarantee, 5R rifling & a lifetime warranty & the 1-10 is a non issue for 100gr. huntiing bullets.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I shot over to Dicks to day and did take a look at the t/c venture
I am not a fan on plastic stocks but overall it did catch my eye.
I was unlucky they did not have the cal. I was looking for they list them on sale for 439.00 plus tax regular price 479.00
I then would have the t/c rebate of 50.00 so it would be around the 399.00 mark
I did like the LOP 13 1/2" gun balanced o.k.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 PM

I have the Edge. Its factory trigger on heavy side and non-adjustable for trigger pull weight. Ejection port for spent brass too narrow on mine to easily load a single cartridge thru it. Wide spacing between factory scope mounts require use of a long scope or buying extension ring(s). Design of stock's trigger guard leaves area of stock at rear of action too thin and results in a vertical flex from pressure of pulling trigger. This occurs when I use my shooting cradle while benchrest shooting. I can see my elevation crosshair move at least one inch on a 100 yard target. Dispite the stock flex, rifle is fairly accurate.

Of your two choices, I'd say get the T/C Venture. You may want to take a look at the Marlin XS7 rifle in .243. The Marlin is accurate out of the box, has a good adjustable trigger and in price range you are looking. I have a Marlin XL7 in 25-06 and its a good rifle...cost me $319 plus tax a year or so ago.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I stop at a small shop last week .The shop had a
Savage Edge
Marlin bolt XL7
T/c venture
I went threw all 3 guns on fit and finish bolt throw: detachable mag: and overall feel for the rifle
I have to say the t/c venture was my choice
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM

I have 2 Edge's, 223 and 7-08...............they are very, very accurate. Feel reaaly great when you shoulder the rifle. I had my gun smith do my triggers, 2 1/2" now. I think Timney(?) make a replacement trigger for them now. Prefer the Edge over my Marlin XL and XS but they come with a better trigger from the factory. My Edges were $285 OTD...........will be getting a 308 and 25-06 next summer........
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 AM

I HAD a Venture for a while and traded it. I never found a round it would shoot. Most everything I tried was way outside MOA. I did manage to find one round that what just stay about 1 moa with three shots. 1 MOA with 4 or 5 shouts was completely out of the question. The gun just turned me off and traded it for a Tikka which will do 1 MOA WITH 5 shots all day long.

I also have a Marlin xs7 in 7mm-08 and it is a track driver! I love that little rifle!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM

I would pick the T/C venture hands down. I sighted in a 270 and my buddy that sights in rifles for a gun shop has sighted in quite a few in many different calibers and they all shot 1" or better at 100 yards with factory ammo. Most of the ammo shot was Federal's cheapest, the blue box. This ammo has proved it's accuracy in many different make rifles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page