Mossberg Patrol Mag Problems - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Mossberg Patrol Mag Problems

Looked at a Mossberg Patrol.. I liked it and would have bought it... BUT... why would they put out a rifle with such a sloppy fitting cheap plastic mag well. I have read about rounds getting jammed trying to feed when the mag is tilted forward.. I can see why with all this slop. U-tube is full of videos on how to make home-made cobs to "fix" this.. Reports of the Ruger American rotary mag problems also abound... It would seem which ever co wakes up and gets a good mag feed on these competitors will win this competition... till then I'm keeping my money.. anybody hear anything definitive from either of these companies on this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 PM
TMB

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Mossberg Patrol Mag Problems

C product 10rnd mags work perfect no wobble. If you don't like the plastic mag well there are a couple places making an aluminum replacement.

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM

I have 2 ruger americans, both compacts and no mag problems on either of my rifles. They both function flawlessly and are very accurate. I looked at the mossberg mvp patrol, the price is what drove me away. Almost all the reviews claim good accuracy but small problems with the mag, extractors, and bolts are another reason I passed. Very happy with my americans, both are in 223.

357 shorty, 44 shorty, 223, 20ga, Looking for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeRights View Post
Looked at a Mossberg Patrol.. I liked it and would have bought it... BUT... why would they put out a rifle with such a sloppy fitting cheap plastic mag well. I have read about rounds getting jammed trying to feed when the mag is tilted forward.. I can see why with all this slop. U-tube is full of videos on how to make home-made cobs to "fix" this.. Reports of the Ruger American rotary mag problems also abound... It would seem which ever co wakes up and gets a good mag feed on these competitors will win this competition... till then I'm keeping my money.. anybody hear anything definitive from either of these companies on this ?
I got the same thing in my Patriot. Not gonna worry about it though, seem's to work very well. The reason for the plastic I can only guess. They are not in competition with company's like Winchester and Remington. They are looking at a different market. I've got a mod 700 in 243 with the plastic stock and the Mossberg Patriot with a wood stock. I think the Mossberg with a wood stock is a much nicer rifle than the Remington and I like Remington's. I didn't want the plastic stock but couldn't get a wood one so bought the plastic stock and bought a wood one from Mossberg. The fit and finish on the Mossberg is miles ahead of the Remington in it's price range. The plastic stock I only used a couple times and it shot fairly well, much better than the Remington. The trigger was light years ahead of the Remington as it came from the factory. The in letting on the Rem was about as bad as bad could get, the Mossberg was great. The wood stock got here and it was a simple switch stocks and the wood stock fit very well. I'm not so sure Remington or Winchester or Ruger ever wanted this share of the market, inexpensive. If that is what interest's you, the only competitor Mossberg really has is Savage. If I was you, I'd give that rifle a good chance and see what happens.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

I love my Mossberg MVP in .223. I replaced the magazine well with an aluminum one that is sturdier than the plastic one.
I love the trigger pull and it is almost as accurate as my target AR. A big plus is that it uses the same AR magazines. I read
about the early horror stories of bolts that came apart; but haven't had anything like that happen to me. Sure, the bolt is
a sloppy fit and not as easy to work as my SPS; but the good out-weighs the bad by leaps and bounds. It's a keeper as
far as I am concerned.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex 49er View Post
I love my Mossberg MVP in .223. I replaced the magazine well with an aluminum one that is sturdier than the plastic one.
I love the trigger pull and it is almost as accurate as my target AR. A big plus is that it uses the same AR magazines. I read
about the early horror stories of bolts that came apart; but haven't had anything like that happen to me. Sure, the bolt is
a sloppy fit and not as easy to work as my SPS; but the good out-weighs the bad by leaps and bounds. It's a keeper as
far as I am concerned.
Where did you get the aluminum magazine well?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fischer View Post
Where did you get the aluminum magazine well?
I got the aluminum magazine well from these guys: http://www.tromix.com/mossberg-mvp-parts.html

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page