Graybeard Outdoors banner

Won this .....Dont know what to do.

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  tunnug 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Newbie here.....well I won this gun at a 22 shoot(200yds off hand/20rds,borrowed friends gun) ......but any way.....it is a really nice gun....looks great.....I have never shot it....its brand new........in box.

Cons....
The bolt/action is very very tight. I dont think my wife or nephew could use it.
The mag- which is the circular one.....will not come out, and will not go in. I used a sharpie (blunt end) held down the button to get it out.....oiled it up and put it back in.....and it looks like it shouldnt even fit with the way its molded and wood stock goes....

The gun is sweet, never shot so i dont know how it shoots but does anyone else have these issues. I have oiled the heck out of it........

Any info would be great.

Thats the gun in the pic.....I downloaded that pic to the computer ....but thats the one I won. Thanks Guys. Much Appreciated.

TD

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ruger American 22LR

I've researched issues with mag and bolt on other sites and everyone says when they contact Ruger they get a run around, and then send it in....then a run around.....then Months Later! they get something or an answer about it.

#5 ·
Well, if you look on the internet you can always find some negative comments regardless of the brand or type of firearm. I don't own one of these but several here on the forum do and I can't recall hearing many complaints.

Ruger customer service is generally rated very good, but there again some people say their experience wasn't good.

And yes, if you call them and tell them you're having problems with the "circular" magazine and the "button" they're going to tell you to send it to them in lieu of advising you to try to fix it yourself!

#6 ·
I don't have the American but do have a 77-22lr. I bought it used and was having a problem with the rotary mag feeding ammo. Called Ruger and they told me what I could do to fix it but also advised they were going to send me a new clip just in case the fix didn't work. The fix did work and a week later or there abouts I received a new clip in the mail.

People tend to tell all the wo is me tales but tend not to say all the good things that have happened.

:D Al

#7 ·
I have no experience with the wood stocked version, but I do have the composite stocked .22 WMR. Is it possible that the wood stock has expanded due to weather/humidity changes and has made the magazine well too small to accept the magazine? I had to sand the inside of the magazine well on a Hogue 10/22 stock to get it to accept a factory Ruger mag (same mag as your rifle). As for the bolt, I'd say it just needs to be worked a few hundred times. Once you get the mag issue fixed, take it to the range and run a few hundred rounds through it.

#8 ·
Yea I thinking about sanding the inside of the gun, but then I thought.......no I"m not sanding a brand new gun with 0 rounds through it. I did think about the expanding and shrinking of the wood from humidity but I'm not sure it could swell that much.

#10 ·
Can you take the barreled action out of the stock and insert the mag? If so it would tell you the problem is in the stock. Not having seen one in person I don't know if the trigger guard has anything to do with it, but from your photo it doesn't appear to.

~WH~

#13 ·
As to the stiff bolt, since it is a brand new gun, it may have a coat of dried grease or manufacturing gunk coating it.

Take the action out of the stock, remove the plastic mag, pull the bolt out, and scrub the entire action and bolt twice with Acetone. It will remove all of the gunk.

Then, lubricate per the instruction manual, very very lightly, put it back together, and work the bolt 1,000 times (but don't dry fire it). Not hard to do. Do it 100 times per day while watching the evening news, and you will be done in 10 days.

By the way, if the bolt works fine without the magazine in, but is stiff with the magazine in, then you don't have a bolt or action problem, you have a magazine problem.

That should fix the stiff bolt. If it doesn't, then don't screw around with it any more. Either take it to a gunshow and get a nice pile of cash, or ship it back to Ruger to fix.

Mannyrock

#15 ·
22wmr is substantially longer than 22lr, which would make any magazine substantially longer.

The Ruger rotary magazine has a bolt going through the center, running from the back to the front. It takes a hex key wrench. Is it perchance backed out some, or not seated properly?
Also, the steel feedlip insert may not have been installed properly, and could bulge the top of the mag body. You would be able to see that, looking closely.
If the magazine is good, it's either the stock, or the lower receiver housing, or both, most likely.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Let's work this out, you won a rifle that you don't know what to do with, using a borrowed rifle from a friend...............
give the rifle to the friend, I'm sure he'll appreciate it, your problem becomes his problem and I'm sure he'll know what to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.