Graybeard Outdoors banner

Show Your Python

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  herpestes 
#1 ·
Mine's a 1981 sporting 8" barrel, with white outline rear sight blade, plus the orange insert front blade that I crafted for it.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Since you only got 2 pythons, I figured I'd throw in my Trooper Mark III 357 Magnum with 6" barrel.
These were designated J-frame by Colt, roughly equivalent to a Smith L-frame in size. Very slightly larger than a Python I believe, but about the same weight or a little lighter due to the Python's full underlug. The Python also has a tighter cylinder gap giving it higher velocity.
The Mark III was the first revolver made specifically for the 357 Magnum cartridge, and is rated for unlimited 357 use. It has forged frame and cylinder.
I believe it's also the first revolver to use a transfer bar. It's the first Colt to use sintered steel internals and coil springs. It has target grips, hammer, and trigger.
These were made from 1969-1982. Mine's a '69.

Attachments

#6 ·
I got a new Python with a 6" barrel when they came out.

I could not hold it steady or shoot it well. It was too barrel heavy.

I got fancy grips for it with checkering but they did not help.

A buddy got a Ruger 44 mag back then and he could shoot it very well.

I bought a Ruger with a 6" barrel then. Mine is a 45 Colt loaded with cast bullets over a modest charge of Unique. The gun is very accurate and easy to shoot well.

The large flat meplat on that bullet has great effect on small porkupine sized beasts.

#7 ·
nice guns guys! i remember when the pythons came out! damm i wanted one.

but they were a little out of reach for a 16 yr old farm hand.

i ended up with a ruger blackhawk in 357. loaded for and shot that trouble free gun for years.

still want a python but not enuf to pay what they are bringing.

would of been a nice investment tho!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.