Vavasseur Gun - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Default Vavasseur Gun

I started on a Vavasseur mount deck Gun replica earlier this week. Here are a few photos of where I'm at with it. I am copying the Basic design of what appears to be a German version. There is a upper carriage and lower chassis mounted to a pedestal, similar to the 100 ton Armstrong gun, only this gun carriage is spring loaded and will return to battery after fired.

Link here> https://www.flickr.com/photos/morton...ool-artillery/

These were built in the late 19th century.

Here are a few photos of the model under construction.

Last edited by dominick; 04-12-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 PM

That is lookin really cool!

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 PM

Dominick, Looks like another beauty being created here. That crank visible is for traverse, right? Will there be another for elevation? The shape of the shield is very nice, those plain flat French ones are not very interesting to me. I have only two more questions. Bore size? Do you have a pic of it next to a soda can or powder can to show relative size? Just one more, does this naval deck gun come with rivers of rivets and buckets of bolts?? The more I study this one, the more I like it; I bet it will look fantastic when complete.

Thank you for showing this prelude to the complete gun.

Tracy

Traverse crank?
Elevation crank?
Bore size?
Pic w/soda can next to gun?
Rivets and bolts??
Almost forgot: Will this deck gun be a Muzzle Loader with a welded breech plug that looks like a swinging-block, breech loader?

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 04-12-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added one more question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Tracy,
Thank you for the compliment.
The crank handle is for the traverse and the elevation will have an identical crank handle directly under the breech. The bore size is 1" and the barrel length is 20" I will upload a photo with it next to a soda can later today. It will have more details such as rivets, bolts etc. This one will be a muzzle loader with a fake hinged breech as I have done on the Casemate guns in the past.
Dom
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 PM

I really like this one Dom!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to BoomLover

I got to get a bigger boat, my 12 foot Aluminum fishing boat just isn't big enough to mount one of these! I LIKE it, Dom...good job!

"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the compliments above. Here are more photos with some additional detail work done. I need to test fire it to check the recoil system and make sure the spring is the right tension. I am thinking about doing this tomorrow prior to paint. Video to come. I still have to drill the holes in the pedestal. Maybe some more detail work if I can think of anything more to attach to it.

Last edited by dominick; 04-19-2017 at 06:02 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

This is the color scheme I'm going with. It will have a gloss black pedestal with a gloss color naval gray shield. I found this photo on the internet of the paint.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:25 AM

Dom, You are doing a super job. The new details look really nice. The proposed paint job has the enthusiastic approval of the chief swabby at Seacoast Artillery. He likes your idea of painting the Vavasseur Mount, the Carriage and the Gun Tube gloss black and NOT all grey like the Destroyer he painted several times while in the Navy. I particularly like the breech block shaping and details; it is very realistic! Now we have three crank wheels! You are adding the right things. The only thing I see missing is a very simple telescope sight representation. I have seen brass and copper tubed types. Two mounting rings with projecting studs or Tube mounting blocks secure it to the cannon tube. The angle should be set so it is aimed at a distant target on the same level as the deck gun. A small crescent plate should be part of the rear mounting block to give the illusion of azimuth adjustment. If the budget won't allow for this, I would certainly understand, but those on the 6"-40, naval casemate guns onboard Admiral Dewey's ship, Olympia, today located in Philadelphia were so cool I just could not resist mentioning the telescopic sight. Could you include a soda can photo for scale when you post the video of recoil action??

Thanks,

Tracy

Something as simple as this representation of a Naval Deck Gun Telescope Sight would work too. A double is unnecessary; one will do nicely.

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by seacoastartillery; 04-20-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add Photo
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes indeed. I will certainly mount a sight. I think it will be a good addition for detail. Thank you! I saw another variation of this sight that I will try to copy. It's a little more complex. I found the right spring for the recoil and should be testing it tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page