The 223 Short Project. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Default The 223 Short Project.

Along with a couple of other GBO members (Larry and Jed M) we have started work on the 223 Short project. For those who missed previous posts, it is a 221 Rem Fireball case (1.4") re-formed and trimmed to 1.125". It is a modern case design that fits exactly between the case capacities of the 22 Hornet and 221 FB, 10% more powder than the old case designs of the 218 Bee and 22 Rem Jet.

While we can trim the prototype brass any way we want, I am thinking one step ahead to when we want to form and trim 100 or more cases for testing. What do you think is the best/fastest/easiest/cleanest/most accurate way to trim the excess .275" from the neck when dealing with 100+ cases? Is using a modified 221 FB Form and Trim die easier than using a regular case trimmer set up? Or is there another option? I obviously do not have much experience trimming cases.

Thanks again...Brian

The 223 Community Chat Facebook page is now up and running...take a look and Like us, and you can post anything you like about the 223 Short...https://goo.gl/ruadlj. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Default Re: What is the easiest, quickest, cleanest way to trim .275" off a 221 FB case?

The Lee trim gauge for 223, $5 with the Lee Cutter and holder $5,,you''l need the drill chuck,,$4?
Then gind/file/cut the trim gauge stud to the length you need. Very precise, inexpensive, cut's the same every time

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=107333
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/casecon.html
post #3 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to DANNY-L Send a message via MSN to DANNY-L Send a message via Yahoo to DANNY-L
Default Re: What is the easiest, quickest, cleanest way to trim .275" off a 221 FB case?

a 3way cutter they are more expensive but they take care of three steps all at once and do a nice clean job, plus you can use the cutter for other brass. Saves alot of time & easier on the hands & wrist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Cut the bulk off with a jeweler's saw or a hack saw and the final cut with a case trimmer.
Don't be heavy handed and STAY SHY of your finish line.

GW.
post #5 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 AM

I just did a simular project. I wanted large primer pocket 454s so i trimed down 460 smith brass. I used a power rcbs trimmer. I wore out two cutting heads doing 200 cases so id have to say youd be better off with a trim die and a hacksaw to start with and then finish trim them with your brass trimmer. One hint if you use a trimmer dont be afraid to put some pressure on it. My nieghbor is a machinist and he came over and told me the problem i had was somewhat due to me putting them in the power trimmer and letting it to its own thing. that doesnt put my pressure on the cutting head. Toward the end i would bear down on the handle a bit and the last cutter i had seemed to hold up

sixgun addict
post #6 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Just curious here. What is the purpose of the experiment? Seems like a lot of work. Why not just download the .221? It's not a large case.
post #7 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM

When I was making 357 Herrett brass I chucked the cases in my case trimmer. I took the handle off it, put a hex-head screw in, and spun it with my cordless drill.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot
post #8 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

If my math is correct??
If we trim .003 off a normal case when doing trimming in a normal Way,
275 divided by 3 = about 91__________91X275=about 2,500. Did I do that right ??
If I did then you would be doing the same as trimming about 2,500 cases,Humm (or close to it)
-------------------------------------HACK SAW----------------------------------
-----------------------------trim die and a hack saw------------------------------
post #9 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM

I have formed a bunch of 223 into 221 FB because I could not get 221 cases at the time. I ended up using a trim die to push back the shoulder and a Dremel tool to cut it short, then I used a powered case trimmer to finish it up. I would guess that you do not have a trim die for your wildcat. What ever you use, make sure it is powdered. Taking that much off with a hand cranked trimmer will not do in short order - believe me; I know. I have seen where you can get a small cut off saw. Cut it just over length and the again trim with a powdered case trimmer. One thing I have learned over the years is...making cases from some thing else is a pain in the neck. Some are worse than others, but all are bad. I will buy ready made cases every time, unless I just can't get them. I just formed some 22BR from Norma 6BR cases. Not only do I have to neck them down, but I had to trim .040 off the neck as well. Norma BR brass has a longer neck than Remington BR brass. I did 400 of them. I used a powdered RCBS trimmer for mine. It would be much easier if I could have bought the cases already done.

As for making a 223 "short" - to each their own. It is not for me, I have a 22K Hornet and 221 Fire Ball. I do not feel there is enough of a gap to have to fill...but there is nothing like saying I got some thing you don't or just the fun of developing some thing new. Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.
post #10 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 PM

I reform 223 to 221 and I use a mini tubing cutter to cut the long neck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page