Is ice fishing a thing for you? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Default Is ice fishing a thing for you?

As you can see it's pretty popular here. Quite easily 100 fish houses on our local lake. It's been pretty slow for me, and not much noise from the neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Ice rarely get thick enough to walk on it around here. (S. IL). I was watching some videos of ice fishing and then went to vehicles falling through the ice!!!!!!!!!!!! NAW think I'll wait till spring? Show us some pics of your catch and tell us your techniques'.....Ed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Is ice fishing a thing for you?

I've got my "harvest" trip planned for late February.

I'll try to get some pictures and explain before then though.

Hi lights include, gas powered 8" auger ( 46" is the most I've had to go through), portable fish house will fish three but better with two, Buddy Heater, 2 when temps are below 5 degrees. Electronic depth finder / fish finder, for most this is a non negotiable item.

For a real eye opener about ice fishing gear Google "Ice Castle".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Empty Quiver; 01-15-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:25 PM

I enjoy it. Haven't been out in a couple years.

Use to go back into Ontario, Canada, Lake Trout Lakes with snowmobiles and jig with airplane jigs & bucktails for trout at about 90 feet - Lakes would be a couple hundred feet deep but we would find the structure (used the ole "flasher") that would come up to maybe 80 to 100 feet below the ice and we'd work that area. Also used tip-ups. Got skunked a few times.

Some years those Canadian lakes had 6 to 7 feet of ice. Used a 10" power auger and it would take my 1 foot and 2 foot extension to find water (3 feet of extension and just a slight wobble) and when it was really cool on the ice, I'd put on the extensions prior to the 1st hole and stand on the snowmobile seat to get started. I remember once I waited a bit too long to clear the chips and punched through and it took 3 of us to pull the auger up - if they wouldn't have been close by - that shaft would have frozen in and today would be on the bottom of that lake. That's why we always carried a spare, which was an 8"er - never lost one but sure as ****, if we didn't have it, we would have frozen one in.

My SIL sold his house a couple years ago, but advised he was thinking about building one this summer. Music to my ears. Nothing like sitting in a fish house playing cards with adult beverages and frying up the 1st couple caught - if things are slow, take a spin around the lake and enjoy drinking whatever they are drinking.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Looked up ice fishing on u-tube and found a bunch of videos of trucks falling through the ice!!!! NO THANKS!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Here is an update sent from Lake of the Woods MN.

Ice is well over 30" as you can see. That auger is 46" I believe. Interior shots show heater, depth finder, 8" hole, and the zipped up door. Then a reverse shot shows the seating area. Floor space is roughly 5'x5'.

Fishing was sorta slow. 5 keepers and maybe 20 cigars back down the hole.

The beer was cold, as was the air -7 this morning then up to 22 or so.

I'll try to get more tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

22" walleye, as good as it got this trip. A limit of decent fish, plus a few dozen little ones.

This is one of the plowed ice roads, it went out roughly 6 miles with side roads out to the sides every now and then.

The snow was just about all gone, which meant we could navigate anywhere as easy as a boat in summer. All said and done I'm guessing we drove over thirty miles on ice this weekend.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Looks like Zippel Bay!

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the **** they please. --John Wayne
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Long Point, west several miles.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:46 PM

We just got back Thursday from Zippel, we had about the same luck as you. Not nearly as good as we usually do, didn't get into the pike as well either. Normally we pop a few over 40", but only had 4 three footers this year. Plenty of eater walleyes though.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the **** they please. --John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page