Bullhead Cats - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Bullhead Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTIC
HILLBILL,
I'm thinking my Muscovy ducks should be able to keep them from overpopulating. They seem to have worked with the sunfish which are also known for overpopulating small ponds. They have been so good at suppressing my formerly large population of water snakes that they are no longer a commonplace occurrence.
Bagtic,
That is interesting information on those Muscovy ducks!

NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Those stunted Bullheads would make great Flathead Bait. Back in the 60s when I was a kid, my Mom & Dad and Sisters would go fishin all night long and catch 20-30 Bullheads. There wasn't a lot of Channels and Flatheads were far and few between, Now its the other way around.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsniper
Those stunted Bullheads would make great Flathead Bait. Back in the 60s when I was a kid, my Mom & Dad and Sisters would go fishin all night long and catch 20-30 Bullheads. There wasn't a lot of Channels and Flatheads were far and few between, Now its the other way around.
thats one of the reasons id like to get a start of bullheads in one of my ponds.you could catch those small ones with a throw net and clip the horns off them and use them for limbline bait.they will live for days even with a decent size hook in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 AM

When I was in California Fish & Game advised that we should not throw back undersized sunfish as it promoted stunting. Fish like fruit needs to be thinned if you want good size.

Make sure brain is engaged BEFORE putting mouth in gear.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse168

When I was a kid my grandparents had a farm with a 4 1/2 acre lake that was loaded with bullhead catfish. My younger brother and I would go out and catch them until we got tired of catching them.
One time my grandfather told us to stop catching them because he was tired of cleaning fish. That was the weekend we caught 55 cats on Saturday and 35 on Sunday after church. Down here in West Tennessee bullheads are in all the farm ponds.

Living by the Square on the Level
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:50 PM

We used to catch and eat a lot of them years ago. There used to be lots of them in my neck of the woods. Most farm ponds had them. Don't know what happened to them but I don't know of any places that have them now. Most ponds around here now have perch, bass, crappie, or channel cat or a combination of those. I'd love to have a mess of 'em today. Brings back some good memories.

Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:46 PM

I grew up fishing for, catching, cleaning and eating bullheads (and crappies).
I did some checking with the DNR and others who are well informed on fishes.

Up here bullheads and Northern Pikes are usually the last survivors in many shallow lakes suffering winter kill, and minnows.
I did find out that large bullheads those over fifteen inches plus act the same as large Northerns and Walleyes, they want large deeper water.
Most people never catch them because they do not fish where they are.
In the lake fish surveys MN does every year, though not same lakes every year, some lakes, most in middle Mn where the fishing hotspots are, they have netted , from all three northern species, bullheads in the 20-24 inch category.
One lake produced a bullhead over 24 inches long as it was in the next category.
Often times the same lakes that produced Northerns of over 40 inches and Walleyes of 30 inches or more were the same cold deep lakes hat had a population of truly large bullheads fifteen inches or larger.
Some of these lakes are the deep ones, 80 plus feet that have little shallow water.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 05-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 PM

I did some online checking on the Southern three bullheads.
As some of you are in the South, have any of you fished for the Snail, Flathead or Spotted bullhead down there?

One fellow said Lake Oconee used to have a goodly number of 2 to 5 pound Snail Bullheads till some dork introduced Flathead Catfish.
Another site said the Flat Bullhead was the tastiest of the Southern Bullheads.

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/top...ads-are/page-2

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 04-26-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page