Author Topic: Please help decide: .260 Rem. Vs. 7mm-08  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Please help decide: .260 Rem. Vs. 7mm-08
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:14:48 pm »
Greetings!

I recently posted a thread about choosing the caliber of my next rifle.  At the time, I was considering the 6.5x55 Swede, .260 Rem., or .270 Win. as the possible options.  Since that time, I've sold my .308 Win. rifle and currently only own rifles in .22LR and .243 Win.

Given the new "gap" in my arsenal, and after eliminating the .270 Win. as a possible contender for various reasons, I would like to buy a new rifle next week in one of these three calibers:

.260 Remington
7mm-08
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

OK... before jumping in and posting your preference, please understand a few things.  First off, I am a handloader, so the scarcity of factory loaded ammo is not a problem for me (making the .260 a viable contender).

Second, I am NOT after mega-hyper-magnum-ultradeath performance, I am far more interested in flat trajectory and accuracy than super-duper-kill-everything-that-moves energy.  I have owned magnum rifles, including a .300 Win. Mag. several years ago, and just don't see the point - I think that with the exception of grizzly bears, everything on this continent can be easily killed by a carefully placed 6.5mm or 7mm bullet in a standard non-magnum cartridge with less recoil, report, powder burn, and ammunition cost.

Finally, I like the 6.5x55 Swedish cartridge.  However, with identical ballistics in a shorter action the .260 Remington just seems to make more sense to me... unless someone can come up with a REALLY good reason to choose the Swedish round over the .260.

I don't know a whole lot about the 7mm-08, except that it is fairly close to the .308 Win. ballistically - with a slightly better trajectory and lower recoil.  Most of the reason I chose to sell the .308 a few days ago was that the particular rifle I had chambered for that cartridge (a Remington 700 VS) had SERIOUSLY PUNISHING recoil... worse than any other rifle I've ever shot including numerous magnums... although this is not the .308 cartridge's fault (I know this because I've owned other .308 rifles and shot many friends' .308's and found generally that the round is typically quite comfortable to shoot.)

So... I'm apparently down to the .260 Rem. vs. 7mm-08, unless someone can convince me that the 6.5x55 has some unseen advantage over either.

What do you recommend?  Why?

Best wishes, and thanks in advance!
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 06:20:57 pm »
My opinion here is based strictly on what I've read, but given the similarity between the two cartridges I would go 7-08 just for the bullet selection.

I suppose it depends on what you want to hunt with the rifle.  If the biggest game is deer than it won't matter.  If game bigger than deer is to be hunted the 7-08 gets the nod.

Rummer

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:15:27 pm »
Well, I have both a 260 Ruger 77 and a 7mm-08 Stevens and a Handi in 7mm-08 ( it just came in, get it tomorrow )also a Stevens 25-06. I really like the 7mm-08...

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:02:16 pm »
I think the .260 Rem is perfect for deer size game. So is the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, with handloads. My pick for a more versitile rifle would be the 6.5x55, as it can handle some seriously heavy-for caliber bullets much better than the .260. I hear tell it even kills moose pretty well.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 04:12:06 am »
I think a .260 with a 22 inch barrel in a Mountain Rifle would be the perfect deer rifle.  As far as better than 6.5 or 7-08, not a nickle's worth of difference.
Of course, that is only from several years of deer and hog hunting with a .260.    I bought a Model 7 the first year they came out and it is a very fun gun to shoot.    But it also is plenty potent with a 140 grain bullet.

You can't go wrong with any of the three.

pepaw

Offline dharvey

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 05:35:05 am »
Whew!!! That's a tough call! I made that choice at one time based on recoil because I was buying the gun for my 10 year old to hunt deer with. The .260 shooting a lighter bullet naturally has less recoil. What I like best about the 6.5 bullet though is that with the increased sectional density, you get equivalent penetration with a lighter bullet. But, the 7mm if I'm not mistaken has a better ballistic coefficient giving it slightly better downrange performance. Oh, my head hurts... Just buy one of each. :D

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
6.5-55
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 06:17:03 am »
The 140gr. ammunition Hornady sells has very little recoil.  The range of 100gr-160gr bullets gives a lot of killing power with minimun recoil.  The gun offers a broader band of bullets and has much more killing power because of it.  There will always be a 6.5-55 and it is gaining popularity.
I use a 140gr Nosler Partition and it is one tremendous deer thumper.  The nice thing is I can go to the range and shoot without getting beatup or developing a flinch.  If I didn't choose this caliber I would select a 7mm-08.  Buckfever

Offline kenjs1

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 06:48:32 am »
A couple of reason why I think you should pick the 260.
First, because you handload. If you didn't then the 7-08 might make more sense (although I don't handload and picked the 260 anyway). I like Hornady stuff and would opt for the hornady 129 gr. soft points - although there are options like SST and interbonds and you can even load all the way up to 160 round nose or all the way down to 100 grain sp's. he 7mm 100grains are hollow points.
Second, 6.5x55 are great, just talked Dad into one and he loves it.   Way outperfoms in all proportion to its recoil or what the charts might indicate. I think the 260 is the 6.5x55 perfected. A true short action with just enough of the speed that the 6.5 is lacking . I think it is the best caliber to game match (For what thats worth) for deer sized game.  
Third, goes back to handloading and the characteristics of many who load their own.  The 260 is a bit more unusual and I find it's uniqueness a souce of satisfaction for having picked it. It is a real performer that pushes bullets at just about the perfect speed so that no matter what your choice is you are practically assured good bullet performance.  I would love to buy a box of Hornady ammo in 129grain for m 260 but guess what- they don't make it - but you can.
Fourth reason - I want more folks to buy them so manufacturers  will start offering a greater variety of rifles in this chamber. It does seem ideally suited for a mountain rifle or model 7.
Fifth reason, 7mm.....yawn

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 07:20:55 am »
Hi All,

In a modern rifle and run at the same pressures, the 6.5x55 will out perform the .260 for the same reason the 30-06 out performs the .308, more powder capapcity  :-) . The .260 is loaded to higher pressures in factory ammo but if you up the 6.5x55 in a similar modern rifle it will better the .260. Remember that the 6.5x55 was designed back in 1893 and pressures of 51,000psi (according to Speer #13) were considered pretty high then. The .260 is loaded to 60,000psi, however I cannot see why in rifles of the same ilk which are designed to handle modern pressures why the Swede cannot be loaded to the same level as the .260, oh the old saw about weak brass does not hold any water for me at least.

6.5 Swedish cases are of modern solid head design, it's the chambering and breeching which will make more difference. The older Swedish cartridge is far better when the longer heavier bullets are loaded and it does not seem to have much effect of real accuracy have the longer throat. My sporterised Swedish Mauser shoots the speer 120 Grn flat based bullets into about 5/8". A better shot than myself would most probably improve upon this and being an milsurp it's throated for the long 160 Grn RN bullets.

A friend has a Ruger 77 in 6.5x55 which loves 125 grn Partitions and Rel 22 which gives over 3000fps and has taken quite a few deer with this including a very nice 11 point Buck in 2002.

Offline dharvey

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 07:53:04 am »
Fourth reason - I want more folks to buy them so manufacturers will start offering a greater variety of rifles in this chamber. It does seem ideally suited for a mountain rifle or model 7.

Can I get an amen???!!!??? :grin:  

There are a lot of people outside the US that are very passionate about the 6.5x55, and for very good reason. I have only been a member of this community for a couple of weeks, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost appears that many take Remington's introduction of the .260 as a personal assault on one of their favorite cartridges. :shock: Remember, the majority of our experience in the US with this cartridge is from Milsurp rifles, which unsporterized are not practical for hunting, while the rest of the world is very accustomed to having hunting rifles chambered for it. I suspect that the main reason the US manufacturers started chambering their rifles in this cartridge, which realistically hasn't been that long ago, was to boost overseas sales. The simple fact is, Americans have never been "sold" on the cartridge because we all grew up on mostly .30 caliber rifles. The .30-06, .308, and 30-30 were mainstays for many, many years while the .270 filled the niche for those who wanted a flatter shooting gun. So naturally, we are comfortable with cartridges based on the .308 and 30-06 cases. The most "exotic" cartridge I remember as a kid was the Brit .303. Imagine that... :) So it's only natural that we are more inclined to lean towards American designed cartridges. This doesn't mean that we necessarily think badly of the 6.5x55, we are just more comfortable with what we know. Please don't think badly of us. :-D There might become more of a following for the 6.5x55 here if more American ammunition manufacturers would provide a better selection of over the counter ammo.

Offline kyhunter308

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:19:09 am »
long story short...7mm-08 :wink:

Offline Big Paulie

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 10:38:39 am »
Atomic,

The 7-08 is an incredible round, but based on all of the things you mentioned, and the nuances in your message, I think that the 6.5 x 55 is the right round for you.  Why??  For the simple reason that you like a light recoiling rifle, and that you hand load.  Given this fact, you can load heavier or lighter bullets in the 6.5, over a wider range of weights than the .260, that will make it suitable for varmints or large deer (even  moose).

On top of this, however, once you start shooting the regular factory load in 140 grain bullet, you are going to see that it is incredibly comfortable to shoot, and that it will really take care of 95% of your needs.

Go with the 6.5 Swede.  As an added bonus, I think that you can already buy factory loaded 158 grain round nose loads, and so you don't even need to hand load for them.    If you are going for varmint, or small deer, it would be easy enough for you to load up a couple boxes of 115 grain bullets, and this (coupled with the available factory ammo loads) would be all that you ever need.

Best Regards,  Big Paulie

Offline flintlock

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 11:15:09 am »
Atomic....Glad to see you are still around...How did the .243 do this deer season??? Did you get to try those 85gr BTHP on deer?? Just been curious...

I went through and read your past post on not wanting a long action...As I've said before I'm pretty lucky as my family has 3 farms in eastern NC, and we usually kill 45-50 deer a year...We have about 10-12 regular hunters that we hunt with...we use everything from .243, .260, .7mm-08, .270, .280, 30-06, 7mm Mag, 300 Win Mag, 270 WSM...I think thats all...LOL....So, I've seen and skinned alot of deer killed with alot of various calibers...The size of the wound channel is more determined by the type bullet used than the caliber...Whether the deer drops or not is more determined by bullet placement....I know you know all this, but I know others read....maybe this will help hunters with less experience than us.....

One of my brothers bought a 7mm-08 Model 7 in 1980-81...One of my buddies bought a Model 7 in .260 3 hunting seasons ago...both give very similar results on deer....I couldn't tell the difference in wound channel if I didn't know when cleaning....BUT....the guy that bought the .260 did not handload when he bought the gun....now he does...He has done alot of work to this rifle to get it to group....He is fine with it now, but it was pretty frustrating.....My brother that owns the 7mm-08 is not a gun nut like I am...Doubt if he could properly mount a scope...LOL....I set the gun up for him....bought a box ot 140gr CoreLokts...sighted in....He has me check it every year....And he has killed a ton of deer with this gun...including a 155 class in Canada (yea with the cheap CoreLokts..LOL)

I took a quick look at bullets avaliable for 6.5mm and 7mm....Seems to me there are quite a few more bullets for a 7mm....in Partitions alone you can get a 140, 150, 165, 170grs....I would go with a 7mm-08...

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 12:14:01 pm »
The three calibers you are considering should give you nearly identicle performance on game.  Since you stated you will handload I'm confident you could get any of the 3 to perform to your expectations.  My advice would be to go down to the gun shop and see what they have.  See if there is anything in stock that fits you well and is chambered in one of those 3 calibers.  I have been torn between calibers and decided to "shop around" I almost always come across something that just screams "buy me I'm the one" and of course I usually do.  Heck, sometimes its not even chambered for one of the calibers I was considering.

Offline kenjs1

your'e right of course
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 12:43:38 pm »
Brithunter - Brithunter?  Hey wait a minute I get it . Brit...Hunter ...why your British.  No fair, no wonder you like the 6.5x55. You are dead right of course -so is Dharvey.   All the difference for a handloader -excellent points all.   I really like the 6.5x55 and talked Dad into a CZ in that caliber.  He loves it.  The 260 is just little enough known to still be kind of cool.  As for a history lesson, I have studied and learned this from some younger friends.  Allow me to impart:  For patriotic reasons I like that the 260 is sired by the 308 case, an American favorite (here-here!).  A volored cartidge used gloriously by all service men in every American  war from the revolution (no offense) to Mexico (no off....who cares) to Iraq! Just don't know why the 7-08 doesn't do anything for me?  Maybe I am finding myself bored by 7mm cartridges- do they make any magnums in 7mm??.  Here are my newest two reasons for hating 7mm's:
1. No bullet selection
2. and dismal history of that awful 7x57 cartridge

he he - that oughtta do it!

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 01:09:59 pm »
In the long run, you better be prepared to handload the .260 Rem and the 6.5x55.....they are not exactly big sellers nowadays (no harm intended).  Like others, I'm personally a huge fan of the 7-08.  kenjs1, you may hate the 7mm's, but you're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 02:33:24 pm »
Hi There,

Well my friend kenjs1 I do have two Rifles chambered in 6.5x55, one is the Swedish Mauser sporterised by some comercial co. The other is an M96 Mauser Slide Bolt (the straight pull) and I do like using them, however I also have a couple of other 6.5's:-

1x 6.5x53R Steyr Mdl 1892
1x 6.5x54MS Mdl 1903 Shoenauer

Oh I also have 4x 7x57mm's one is a modern BSA CF2 the other three are Boer war DWM Mauser m1893's. The BSA 7x57 got the call in 2003 for my Whitetail hunt in the US and scored 3. A 9 Pt Buck, a large Doe and a Button Buck. Yes I do use the .308 and only earlier this year picked up my first rifle chambered in 30-06!

Now you mentioned the 303, well yep I use that one two and have 7 of them of which 5 are sporting (hunting) rifles. Now please remember that the 30-03 which was the daddy of the 06, well the cartridge case design was basically Paul Mauser's which is why the US paid royalies to Mauser. All the above cartidges kill game well if the bullet is put in the right place and the bullet is constructed well enough to get the job done  :grin:

Now for accuracy, bullet performance and choice (6.5 goes from 77 Grns to 160 grns), and penetration well that 6.5mm is darned had to beat. An even better cartridge which was not mentioned here is actually the 6.5x57mm Mauser, and no I am sorry I do not have one :(

Offline t3shooter

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 12:28:26 am »
both should be awesome cartridges (well, I have the 7-08 and it IS).  The 260 would be a bit less recoil, with a bit better ballistics, the 7-08, a bit better energy and arguably more versatility.  Either on is accurate, thanks to it's lineage.  Either way, you can't go wrong, but for me, versatility wins.  Go with the 7mm.

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 04:33:56 am »
Greetings!

OK... A lot to reply to based on the excellent input this thread has generated.

First off, I'm very surprised by the large number of replies that have recommended the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.  I have thought all along that the .260 Rem. and 6.5x55 were identical in almost every way except for the length of the action, I'm now finding out that there are several other differences as well.... most of which seem to indicate that the 6.5x55 is possibly the superior design.  This has been very educational... I'm now considering the 6.5x55 Swede as an equal contender with the other two cartridges.

As for the 7mm-08, I'm currently thinking that it might be the best of the three cartridges for my purposes... which is somewhat disappointing to me... I've always been very impressed by the 6.5mm caliber and really hate to consider something else as possibly a better choice.  From what I'm gathering in these replies, the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges I'm considering are fairly equal in most respects, with the 6.5mm having a better trajectory and maybe better killing-power-per-mm, while the 7mm has a wider selection of bullets available and has a higher overall power potential.  From other threads I've gathered that the 7mm-08 and .308 Win. are almost identical cartridges, with the 7mm-08 being possibly better in most respects.  Since the rifle I'm replacing was a .308 Win., maybe the 7mm-08 will the the ideal replacement for it... and maybe the perfect compliment to my current .243 Win. rifle.

Any further input on why I should continue considering the 6.5mm cartridges would be very welcome... I'm hoping the 7mm-08 doesn't turn out to be a runaway no-brainer choice.

Finally, a comment to fellow forum member Flintlock, who replied to this thread earlier.  One of the main reasons I finally settled on the Ruger 77 MKII All Weather rifle chambered in .243 Win. as my "backwoods beater" rifle was the excellent recommendation you made on that earlier thread, I bought the rifle mainly on your recommendation and haven't regretted the choice one bit since.  I absolutely LOVE that rifle... it's the perfect rifle for me and one that I will NEVER sell.  It's accurate, flat shooting, and supremely rugged.  I have not yet had a chance to take any deer with it, but I have NO doubt that it will be up to the task next season.  As for the Federal 85gr. Gameking cartridge recommendation, I passed it along to two of my .243 Win. hunting buddies who (with a LOT of reservation and concern) let me buy them each a box of the Federal ammunition to take hunting with them last season.  They had both used 100 gr. Nosler Partition bullets pretty much exclusively for their past hunts, and were reluctant to try anything else.  I showed them your posts and bought them some cartridges, which finally convinced them to give it a try.  End result?  They both returned from the hunt with deer, and they both told me that the deer dropped ON THE SPOT without taking a single step.  One of my friends it totally convinced at this point, he told me he is not going to hunt with anything else... the other is still skeptical and might or might not return to the 100gr. cartridges next hunt.  In any case, thank you for the excellent input... I know that when I go hunting next season it will be with the Federal 85gr. Gameking cartridges or an equivalent handload.

Once again, please keep the suggestions/comments/thoughts coming... I appreciate it greatly and thank you all in advance!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Offline Gregory

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 05:32:09 am »
AC  
I can't comment on the 6.5x55 or 260, but the 7mm-08 has a reputation for exceptional inherent accuracy.  I can attest to that with these groups fired at 100 meters (~110 yds) with my Savage 11FL 7mm-08.  

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/gdk45/dime.jpg  

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/gdk45/target3.jpg

The other very nice thing about my gun so far is it will shoot 150 and 170 gr bullet loads to the same point at 100 meters.  I'm working on 120 gr loads this weekend.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:21:47 am »
Hi All,

Myself not having any experience of the 7-08 but some experience with the 7x57 Mauser I can say that the 7mm bullets can be very effective. The qickest drop of any Deer I have ever shot or seen shot is using the 7x57 BSA CF2 and RWS Factory 173 Grn H-Mantle bullets. The deer was a 4 pt Roe Buck at about 75 yards adn it dropped so fast I didn't see it fall. We found it laying upright on it's chest with it's left fore leg sticking out to the side propping it up where the bullt had broken the left on exit from the chest, it was a high heart shot angling slightly downward and he had a mouth full of lush grass 8)

A friend in Alaska swears but the 115 GrnHP 7mm bullets pushed fast in the 7x57mm and says it's incredible on Cariboo. You are obviously leaning towards the 7mm and when it all comes down to it. It's your money and your final choice, as I already have the 7x57 I would stick with the 6.5x55 as I see no advantage in the .260. Good luck with your choice. :grin:

Offline kenjs1

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 07:19:17 am »
Atomic - you know what, if you buy the 7-08 I think you may still have a hankering for a 6.5 of one type or another.  If the 6.5 was the one that you started out interested in then don't get hung up on the minute differences between it and the 7mm.  My first rifle was a 6mm remington.  It got me interested in reading ballistic tables and all sort of things that showed it was better than a .243.  The real reason I got it was because when I was a boy in a barber shop I read a Field & Stream story about a guy who had one.  I remember he called it "flat shooting" and that whole pleasant experience of that day stuck in my brain and made me want one 25 years later.  Pure sentimentality, or maybe nostalgia.  Is there any real advantage to one over a 243 -nope, but  getting the 6mm instead, in spite of (or maybe because of?) the lack of shelved ammo has really satisifed my longing and has endeared me to that rifle.  I was hooked on the 260 from the get -go as I felt it was kind of a quarter bore in hiding that shot bullets of a more perfect size etc..  It is a great choice if dissected with logic but it could have just as easily been the 7-08.  Thing is if I had opted for the 7mm08 because one was available at a given time there would just have been this little part of me just left wondering what might have been.   Maybe it is the same with you - maybe not.  Food for thought.

Offline Lone Star

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 09:13:32 am »
I gotta laugh at all the passionate but non-technical reasons to eschew everything but the 6.5x55. Don't get me wrong, I've owned one, it is a great cartridge with a deep history, but it is no wunderkind.  But..

* It will not work in a short action, unless the barrel is throated short - with an extra cost for no real benefit.  The old .30-06 vs .308 debate...and which cartridge do you think is the biggest seller in bolt guns today?

* It will handle heavy bulets just as well as the .260 will, if by heavy you mean up to 160 grains.  This is a function of twist rate, not the cartridge.  But if a premium 140-grain bullet won't do it, you need a bigger cartridge.

* It has no big advantage in power over the .260 even if loaded to equal pressures - the case capacity is only a few % greater. Any difference is well under 100 fps, an insignificant difference.  Note: much of the velocity advantages of the 6.5x55 can be traced to the very long 29" barrels common on milsurp rifles.  

* The 6.5x55 killed a lot of moose.  Yep, "little" Scandanavian moose, not the much larger Canadian and Alaskan moose.  Anyway, this is a function of the bullet and its velocity, not the case which fired it.

There is really little difference between the .260, 6.5x55 and 7-08 for the OP's use. The 7-08 may be slightly better if he wants to hunt game larger than deer, and the .260 may be better if he wants light recoil or to shoot varmints.  Handloading levels the field on both ends.  I've owned all three and prefer the .260 by a small margin, but that's just me.   :D

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 02:03:09 pm »
Lone star,

The .260's neck is too short to properly seat the 156 & 160Grn  bullets and even 140 grn bullets can impinge upon powder space due to that short neck. Funny how 100fps is not important now yet it's one of the reason I have heard for the .260 being called superior to the old 6.5x55 as that's about the difference that the extra pressure that the .260 is loaded to gives it.

Oh and Moose in Scandinavia, well quite a few of them come from the Russian Urals they migrate you know! You might like to rad an article in Rifle Magazine by Ross Sefried where he lends a Mannliche Mdl 1892 to a lady friend who uses it to harvest a nice Cow Elk with one shot using the 160 grn Hornady RN Bullet at about 2200fps, the cartridge of course is the 6.5x53R which also accounted for lots of African game and was considered exceptional powerful back in 1895 :eek:

Unless I am hunting larger species of Der Like Fallow/Sika or Red deer I do not use the 160 grn bullets after I shot a Roe Doe with one at aout 100 yards. Talk about Pole Axed, the doe spun 180 degres and the off side shot was all blood shot. Too much hammer for light deer :roll: this was with my sporterised Swedish Mauser  8)

Offline Lone Star

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 06:56:54 pm »
The .260's neck is too short to properly seat the 156 & 160Grn  bullets and even 140 grn bullets can impinge upon powder space due to that short neck.
 The velocities with 140s and 160s are not a problem in the .260 - at least not according to most published data.  I have no problems seating 140-grain bullets in my current .260.   What issues does your .260 have?      :wink:
Oh and Moose in Scandinavia, well quite a few of them come from the Russian Urals they migrate you know!
Swedish moose are markedly smaller than the average North American moose - for one very clear reason. Approximately 100,000 Swedish moose are harvested every year out of a max population of 350,000 animals.  This means that most are younger and thus smaller than the average NA moose; the turnover in the NA moose population is nothing like the magnitude seen in Sweden.    
You might like to rad an article.....he lends a Mannliche Mdl 1892 to a lady friend who uses it to harvest a nice Cow Elk with one shot using the 160 grn Hornady RN Bullet at about 2200fps...
War stories sure are nice to read, aren't they -  how about the one where an Alaskan fisherman pole-axes a Kodiak brown bear with his .22 RF handgun?    :-D

Hey, I said that the Swede is a fine round, but then I am not so chauvanistic as to say any of the three are markedly "better" than the others.  If the OP doesn't handload, then the Swede comes up very short.  He is limited to a very few rifles with the Swede, while the 7-08 is offered in many different styles.  If he wants a short action, the Swede fails him.  Like I said in my original post:
There is really little difference between the .260, 6.5x55 and 7-08 for the OP's use.
I'll stick by that comment in my attempt to be the most helpful to the OP, rather than trying to forward my own personal cartridge agenda.   :D

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 08:26:00 pm »
Atomic Chicken;

I looked at your profile and noticed your east of the Mississippi river.
I've been using the 7mm-08 since 1989. And out of a 18-1/2 barrel here in Alabama and Tennessee. I've never seen deer go down quicker than with the 7mm-08. Now I've always used the 120gr. HP. Due to the shorter barrel so I can get more velocity.
I even used my 7mm-08 on a paraire dog shoot, out in OK this year, with great results, using 110gr. HP/TNT's.
Just my two cents, but I don't think you can go wrong with a 7mm-08.

Dennis  :D

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 02:51:34 am »
Hi Lone Star,

Well as I already stated, I don't have a .260 no ever used one. Can't see the point as I already have 4 off 6.5mm's! same way I don't have a 7-08 as I already have 4 off 7x57mm's. Hmm not sure about rifle selection as the rifles I like are all available in 6.5x55, but then I am not one for a lot of the new rifles. Let's face it quality on a lot of the new production rifles leaves a lot to be desired :(

Now how is an article about an Cow Elk hunt a war story????????? :roll: Are you saying that either of the Mannlicher cartridges (6.5x54MS & 6.5x53R) do have have a superb reputation on the largest game on this planet? which include Elephant and Polar bear! Oh I like the one where a guy in Africa tried to scare an Elephant from his garden with a .22 LR R/F and it dropped dead. he ended up in court for  shooting an Elephant without a licence! And the elephant in it's dath throws destroyed his garden.

As for pushing my favorite cartridge .................... sorry although I like the 6.5x55 it's not my favorite one :-) that accolade must go to the 303 British  :grin:  with the 577/450 coming up close behind.

The only way I would aquire either of the cartridges which this thread is about, would be if I found a rifle that fills a niche in my little collection and it was chambered for one of them. it's following this line that I have ended up with 3 rifles chambered in 270 Winchester.

Performance wise if I handload some cartridges for use in my M96 Slide Bolt Mauser rifle I can safely increase the loads to match the pressures of the .260 and it will then leave the .260 behind quite comfortably. Just because your US ammunition manufactuers down load their products in European chamberings, does not mean that all the European makers do the same. RWS for one certainly seems to load their cartridges to their potential and they seem to think that the customer has enough savvy to know if the cartridge is suitable and safe in their own rifles. There is no way I would fire the factory RWS 7x57 cartridges I have here through one of my DWM Boer Mauser 93's as I do not consider it safe to do so. It's a great pity that the "Sue em Cuture" is so rife in the US and spreading here in the UK :(

The OP who is Atomic Chicken is also a handloaded and gives this a reason for including the .260 due to the scarcity of factory ammo in .260. :-

Given the new "gap" in my arsenal, and after eliminating the .270 Win. as a possible contender for various reasons, I would like to buy a new rifle next week in one of these three calibers:

.260 Remington
7mm-08
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

OK... before jumping in and posting your preference, please understand a few things. First off, I am a handloader, so the scarcity of factory loaded ammo is not a problem for me (making the .260 a viable contender).

My experience is with the 6.5x55, now the the thing about short actions is a non issue to my mind. If you cannot cope with an extra 1/4" of bolt movement then you really need help my friend. I assume then that you are incapable of using a 30-06 rifle then? ( an extra 1/2" of movement) Now if you can manage the 30-06 in a manually opertaed bolt action rifle ................... where is the problem? Short action bunk is nothing but a sales gimmick. Perhaps folks should learn the manlipuation of a bolt properly, although with some modern designs it might not be prudent to use the classic method as it may damage or break the poorly designed and made guns being foisted on the public  :(

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2005, 05:56:46 am »
Greetings!

I just posted a poll about this question here:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=68964

Please vote.. I'd appreciate it very much.  Also, please keep the great replies coming on this thread - I'm getting a GREAT deal of useful information from these replies, and I'm very grateful to you all for taking the time to reply!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2005, 09:03:28 am »
Unending arguments that help spice the beans whilst sitting around the campfire:

.270 vs .280

7-08 vs 7x57

.260 vs 6.5x55

Real truth is,  if you have any of the three, and you sell it to buy the other one, you are wasting money that could be better spent for reloading stuff and beer.   :grin:

Offline bchannell

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 01:31:57 pm »
I have both, in Savage stainless/synthetic rifles. I love them both and they both work on deer size game like magic. If I were pressed to get rid of one of them, I would keep the .260. I just love that round and in the Savage it is sweeet! But I wouldn't get too upset at keeping the 7-08 either. Two darn good rounds, and a hard choice.