Author Topic: 22-250 handi- what twist rate- and what is the heaviest bullet to use.  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (86)
What is the heaviest bullet anyone has shot in the handi 22-250? was wondering if the 60 grain partition or 64 grain power point would work with this twist. Thinking of tryin it during pennsylvania season to shoot a doe. Has anyone used them and if so how were they. If no has anyone shot a deer with any other bullet from this gun and if so with what bullet and how were the results.

Graybeard Outdoors

Online skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Don't own a Handi in 22 250; however, this is a real handi ::) chart.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19347
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnít pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
I have shot a few with a Remington 22-250 and bang flop neck shots with V-max's. I think they are 45 or 55 grains. not my choice deer round and I don't own one, but only cause I had 223's and 222's prior to shooting the 22-250. Ought to be a great yote or rock chuck buster. Keep your shots in the soft spot BEHIND the shoulder and do not hit the shoulder blade by any chance!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• GBO M.V.P.
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (150)
  • SW Washington
Both those bullets work great in the 1:12" 223 barrels, they "should" work at the much faster velocities of the 22-250's in 1:14" I would think. Another bullet to consider is the 63gr Sierra Varminter, it's got a good track record on deer in the 223.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=609136
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (86)
Thanks for the info. Before I start reloading I will by some manufa loads and give them a try. I have heard reports of the two I mentioned shot well because they were short for there weight. I quess if need to stay a little lower in weight i can always try the 55 grain core-lokt. I also have a .223 and H&R told me it was a 1 in 9 twist so I quess I can use the heavy bullets in it but alit afraid of a lack of powder in the small case.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
I shoot 55's over IMR 3031 and it is my mainstay deer gun. Killed probably 100 with it and never had one run.
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Online petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (75)
Don't you guys know God made the .45-70 to kill deer with? ;D :D 8) :( ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one Superlight .243, .30-30,  16.5 inch .30-40, .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55. 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Before you settle on a bullet, give the Nosler 60 gr. Partition a try, and see how they shoot.  I put a 1-9 twist .220 Swift together on a G33/40 small ring 98, and they go around an inch and a half at a hundred with nasty bedding.  I've also got some .223 loaded up with them to see what they'll do in the 1-9 twist CZ 527 Lux.
The fella who did the write up on them claims that at .223 velocities, it penetrates like a 150 gr. .30-30. 
Couldn't say for sure if he isn't full of dung, but hey, see what happens.

These fellas seem to like the load from Federal with the Nosler.....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=789935
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
I workrd in a meat locker and cut up lots of deer    -- A 22-250 is very good for saving meat --- the least waste on any  deer I've cut up was  -- about 1/3 lb of rib meat  and the heart was shattered  no exit----- shot with a 22 -250  -- they didn't say the range
                                          dan

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Nosler Part's are good, Win 64 are good, Hornady 60 SP and HP's, just about any bullet from 60-75 gr will work well.  80 gr might get a little tippy but you won't know untill you try some.

If you don't think you have enough case rechamber to 22-243 Middlested.  That's just about the max size unless you want a short barrel life...then pick the 22-284 Valkyrie.

I like the 70 gr Sierra Semi point...all the velocity I need within about 200 yds, plenty of weight, stays together, drops'um like an bad habit when you stick'um in the eye and NO meat loss.

Lots of choices...in bullets and shooters. ;D 8) ::)

Luck

go2gbo.com Webutation