Author Topic: Fitting 223 barrel to a shotgun frame?  (Read 966 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Fitting 223 barrel to a shotgun frame?
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:49 am »
I sold a 22'' bull barrel on Ebay about a month ago. The guy I sold it to wrote me this morning saying that he really liked the barrel and wanted to know if I knew what the rate of twist was (it is a 1 in 12) He also said he fitted it to a shotgun frame. Is that ok? It seems that I read here that the shotgun frames are not hardened steel like the rifle frames. Any info would be helpfull so I can pass it onto him. I also made him aware of this site. We may have another Handi holic in our midsts.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Graybeard Outdoors

Fitting 223 barrel to a shotgun frame?
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:49 am »

Offline quickdtoo

• GBO M.V.P.
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (150)
  • SW Washington
Re: Fitting 223 barrel to a shotgun frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:00:17 am »
I wouldn't recommend a .223 barrel on an SB1 to anyone and wouldn't do it myself, even tho it has a small case head, the SAAMI max pressure is 55kpsi, considerably more than any shotgun pressure and the fring pin hole in the frame will more than likely cause primer problems with that much pressure.

Tim

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm#pressure
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:11:08 am »
Thanks Tim. I emailed him what you said. I just do not want anyone getting hurt. I also asked him if it was a SB2 frame. If it is he should be ok.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 11:33:59 am »
Tim, I put a .223 barrel on an old H&R 12ga frame 11 years ago.  The H&R has a better trigger due to not having a transfer bat.  I've worked it down to about 2 1/2 lbs.  Have had no problems with it in eleven years.  Shoots fine, and I carry it to the field almost weekly.  It's the one I put the thumbhole stock on.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• GBO M.V.P.
  • Global Moderator
  • SW Washington
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »
Rog, what you did may have worked fine so far, but each rifle is different and to give it a blanket recommendation isn't a good idea, that's a good way to get someone hurt or damage a frame, something none of us want. ;)

Tim

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:12:31 pm »
Tim, could you please give me a 6th grade explaination as to the sb1 and sb2 differences are  ive read most all posts on this ( to me ) very interesting topic. im very nterested in under standing this issue... and then i'll have a few ( dumb ) questions..
Glenn

Offline quickdtoo

• GBO M.V.P.
  • Global Moderator
  • SW Washington
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:48:39 pm »
Basically, the SB1 frame isn't heat treated to handle rifle pressures. You can see the physical difference in the pics in the FAQs. Also, the SB1 frames have bigger holes surrounding the firing pin.

Tim

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 05:28:04 pm »
Another problem with fitting to a SB1 frame is the size of the firing pin hole. I have a 22 hornet fitted to a SB1 with the higher pressure H110 loads it flows the primer into the firing pin hole. I use it with Lil gun loads now and have had no problems since the Lil gun loads work at a much lower pressure. The .223 is going to have much more pressure than the honets does. I would say don't do it. BTW I use WSR primers and am going to try others to see if tey also flow.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:53:52 pm »
So just as I thought never fit a rifle barrel to a shotgun frame. I have informed him of this this afternoon. He has not wrote me back as of yet. I hope it is not to late I am a little worried. In my description on Ebay I said that it was off a SB2 frame and it should be fitted by a qualtifed gun smith.Do you guys think I could be in trouble if it blows up in his face. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline quickdtoo

• GBO M.V.P.
  • Global Moderator
  • SW Washington
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:18 pm »
I doubt it would be a catastrophic failure, one member shot a .270 barrel on his SB1 frame and it didn't hurt anything permanently, but there's always that possibility that ya don't know about.

Tim

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:00:46 am »
Tim, the sb1 frames have larger diameter firing pin holes for what purpose ? are the pins larger themselves in the sb1's ? or is it just the tolerence is looser ? ..
 i assume both frames are cast steel also ? also, the case hardening color is actually the real thing, if so older sb1 frames that are hardened is the real thing also ?
Glenn

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:01 am »
Glenn

Here is a post with pics of the diffrence .

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,80979.0.html

stimpy
:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 01:47:15 pm »
He emailed me today to tell me that it was a topper frame that he fitted it to. So that means it is a SB1 frame from every thing I have read. I told him I wanted him to be aware and to be carefull that I did not want him to get hurt.

go2gbo.com Webutation