Author Topic: WHAT FACTORY LOADS FOR .223  (Read 900 times)

Offline ub1167

• Trade Count: (0)
WHAT FACTORY LOADS FOR .223
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:26 am »
Picking up a .223 Handi for coyotes. I DONT handload yet. Looking for a load that is easy on fur. Just need a place to start with out trying a bunch of differnt loads. Local stores have a large selection.

Graybeard Outdoors

WHAT FACTORY LOADS FOR .223
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:26 am »

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (69)
Re: WHAT FACTORY LOADS FOR .223
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:02:07 am »
Do you know the twist on your 223 barrel?  To make it easier to answer your question, is it a newer (extractor) barrel or the older (ejector) barrel?  The twist helps determine what bullet weight the barrel would most likely handle best.

See the sticky above: FAQ's and HELP, then look for the "What are the rates of twist?" section.

Link: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline ub1167

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:10:13 am »
I dont know as yet. its a new ( unfired ) rifle. Think it will be 1 in 9 according the the FAQ thread.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:08 am »
This is the basic rule regarding bullet weights and twist.

Faster rifle twist ratios allow for heavier bullets to be shot more accurately through the rifle. For example, a .223 barrel with a twist ratio of 1:12 may only be able to shoot a 40-52 grain bullet accurately, while a barrel with a twist ratio of 1:9 will be able to shoot, accurately, any bullet between 40 and 65 grains, it will also compensate (to a point) the .223's tendency to tumble after penetrating a target.

But, remember each rifle is different.  Even with the bullet weights being the same, the rifle may like one brand better than another.  One of my 223 barrels likes Remington 55 gr. ammo, the other one likes Federal, but both shoot all brand including combloc (Wolf, Tula) stuff decent.  Just remember, H&R warns you not to shoot 5.56mm in your gun, because it will void the warranty.

Have fun experimenting, enjoy the rifle, and let us know how you make out.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:22 am »
Most people swear by the White Box Winchester ammo.  I shoot a lot of Ultramax, remanufactored ammo.  I like the fact they use Nosler Ballistic Tips.  When I reload I use the Winchester Factory Duplication Loading from Hodgdons manual.  When reloading I use Winchester cases, Winchester Small Rifle primers, 26.3gr Winchester 748 powder, 55gr Speer SP bullet.  Really accurate load in my Ultra .223 Handi.  .223 ammo can be bought cheaper than you can reload, the only reason I reload .223 is to get a more accurate load.  But for .223 I do believe there is really no need to reload.

I bought the Ultra Max ammo for my Mini-14s, found it works good in the H&R Ultra.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:21:57 pm »
I have a survivor bull barrel, 1 in 9.  I have found that it shoots most good bullits well, but really likes Fiocchi 50 gr. v max.
And they are about $10 a box. 

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (85)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »
Yep Winchester White box 45gr hollow points
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:03 pm »
i shot my shorty yesterday 1-12 twist 55 grn bullet shots real good also shot the same in my handy with 1-9 twist federal value pack 100 round box accurate enough for me i do reload these to but these i got when i bought the gun so thought i would shoot these up first don't usually buy loaded ammo except 22lr. ;D

Offline grizzlyadams1874

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:29 am »
mine loves the winchester 40 grain hp that come in the 40 rd varmint pack. so much so that i don't bother trying to load for it. literally stacks them like a heavy barreled bolt gun. i can hit pennies with it at 100 yards with boring regularity. it's my go to gun for coyotes. i carry it and my 10 gauge for the close in shots

Offline Chupathingy

• Tactical Paratard
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:20:54 am »
When I had my Handi in .223 it shot the 52gr MHP from Black Hills the best. Absolutely refused to stabalize anything heavier than 55grs in any projectile I tried. Wish I still had that rifle.

Chupa
I've never heard anyone ever say "My AR made me do it!"

Offline r29l20

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:52 pm »
My 1 in 9 likes Fioochi's with the 69gr Match kings. Less than half inch groups. :)

go2gbo.com Webutation