Graybeard Outdoors banner

I Chronograph 300 Blk loads today.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cjclemens 
#1 ·
Was cold, but if I can sit still in a tree all day... I can take the range!

I FINALLY got some Aliant 300MP as well as Vitavoy N110. I chose to use Hornady, Zmax bullets because I have so many. and because for some reason I've never been able to make a well in this Ares rifle. Well they still didn't she will more on this later. :shock:

I shot for five or six, different loads over the chronograph at about 10 to 12 feet from the muzzle .

My load of 17 1/2 g of 296 with a 125 grain bullet was 2100 and change fee per second. (No pic)

What the big surprise was, those Barnes 110 black tips and 296. 19 grains and 19.7 grains crimped and not. Crimped gave about 50 ft./s increase in velocity. (Less accuracy) Non-crimped reached mid 2300's and crimped low 2400's!!!

CRIMPED

NON CRIMPED

But I wasn't too thrilled with my accuracy of the new loads.

I loaded 16, 16 1/2 grains 17 and 17 1/2 grains of the N110. Then 19, 19.5, 20, 20.5 of the 300 MP Alliant powder. Shot them at 50 yards from sandbags just like I always. Nothing grouped bigger than inch and a half , but I only had a couple bullets touching . 50 yared, & That is quite uncommon for the rifle . But then again, these are two powders I've never used before loads I never tried before and bullets that never seem to shoot as well as others .

Well the accuracy problem was the single ring that was holding the red dot sight was never tightened down. Totally my fault I rushed to mount the scope this morning, I had previously mounted the ring to the scope. I just threw it on the rifle I never checked the six screws that hold the ring to the scope . Senior moment I guess!! So it's a waste of bullets but I got some trigger time & chrono results.

CW

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, that looks...... interesting.....

I used H110 (same as 296) 18.6 gr, and Speer 110gr Spz . Dont know the speed (but now have an idea thanks to you) -- but that load shot 1 hole group on my 60 yd pistol / shotgun range-- from my Handi...

#3 ·
Ahh,
Well I can help you a bit... A 125 and 18G of H110 did this.

This is 19g 296 & a 110 Z-Max.

This is a 110 and a max load of 300MP

This is a Max load of N110 and a 110 Z-max

Here is a starting load of AA1680 and a 110g Z-max

CW

#5 ·
I agree.

IMHO the advantage to the 6.8 is in longer barrels and its been here longer. Its bullet improvement is marginal at best. It has its following and its no slouch.. but apples to apples its a Ford/Chevy argument at best. Ammo is non existent and costly. Requires bolt & magazine work. Its parent case is the defunct 30Remington.

The Creedmore has a substantial advantage because of its .264 bullet numbers. Vel alone from same barrels might be close, t will carry better across its entire weight range. Another and arguable better option in a AR might be the 260 Rem. Its brass is 308, The 308 in a AR has a excellent base both in popularity and manufacturers, barrels and magazines.

All fun calibers to try!

CW

#6 ·
I wasn't implying one cartridge is inherently better or worse - just that, specifically considering a 16" carbine, velocity is practically a null argument. On a longer barreled rifle, that's obviously another story. Also, the 6.5 I was referring to was the Grendel. Its really similar in performance to the 6.8spc. The 6.5 Creedmoor is in a whole different league and needs a different AR platform, so I wouldn't even include it in this comparison.

Either way, I'm actually seriously considering 6x45 for my next build, which will probably be a long barreled varmint rifle. When you get into 20-24 inch barrels, its also hot on the heels of 6.5 and 6.8. Not to mention, I'm kinda OCD about parts commonality for some weird reason, but that's a topic for another thread.

Anyway, thanks for putting in the work and sharing the data - its pretty cool to see some real-world data on some of these loads and how they perform in a real AR, as opposed to lab data from a reloading manual.

#7 ·
My next is gonna be the 25/45.

I'm about to start a thread and see what others have have done.

I have been buying bullets and new 223 bass to make them. Dies next.. upper in the spring probably. I have some experience with the 6x45 as well as the 6x47 from a few years. Its nice cartridge... I just not as much a fan of the 24 as I am the 25.

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.