Eve was born about 1794 in Lincoln County, North Carolina. She was the fifth of ten children born to Anna Cansler and Valentine Cline. Eve married Nathan Abernathy on January 28, 1808 in Lincoln County, North Carolina.
Nathan was the youngest of four children born to Miles Abernathy and Ursula Bradshaw. Four months after their marriage, in April 1808, the estate of Eve's father Valentine Cline, was divided , by commissioners appointed by the Lincoln County Court of Pleas and Sessions, into nine lots of 310 acres each. "Eve Abernathy's" lot #6 was on the waters of Allen's Creek, in what is now Catawba County, North Carolina. Lincoln County, North Carolina was one of the first counties in the Tarheel state to establish iron mining and iron works.
About 1846, Nathan, Eve and their family moved from Lincoln County, North Carolina to Cass(now Bartow)County, Georgia. Their sons Seth, James, Sinfon, Isaiah(my line), and Daniel had moved to Georgia to accept jobs at the new Ironworks in Etowah, Georgia and like his sons Nathan had come to the hills of north Georgia to work as a blacksmith or collier there also.
Nathan and his sons and other families from North Carolina formed the community that became known as Macedonia which was very close to Etowah.
During the Civil War, many of the Abernathys were excused from military service to work in the Ironworks to manufacture war products for the Confederacy.
The Etowah Mining and Manufacturing Company
The company had built a rolling mill and ironworks on the banks of the Etowah River, after iron ore was discovered in the vicinity around 1840.
In 1844, Moses Stroup and Mark Anthony Cooper began an expansion of the Ironworks by building a larger, more efficient furnace capable of making holloware, such as skillets. The rolling mill was to be use for making railroad tracks and bar iron. The town of Etowah also had carpentry shops, a nail and spike factory, a barrel factory, a corn mill, a gold and copper mine and 12,000 acres of land in four counties. at its peak, etowah Village had a work force of between 500 to 600 laborers. The employees included miners, furnace operators, mill operators, carpenters, timber cutters and charcoal manufacturers. The thriving town had a combination school and church, a boarding house, a bordello, a bank, a brewery, a company store and log cabins for the workers and their families.
In May of 1864, the Union Army of the Ohio moved into Etowah and destroyed the mills, town and furnaces. Ater the war, the remains of Etowah Village were forgotten, except for the remains of one furnace, the entire site that was Etowah now lies beneath the waters of lake Allatoona. Much of the Macedonia site remains above water, including the old Macedonia Cemetery were Eve and Nathan are buried.