Author Topic: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?  (Read 2191 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline goodtime7

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 20
  • Gender: Male
Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »
This is probably a very basic question, but are the bolts on a standard large and small ring mauser interchangable?     thanks


Online AtlLaw

  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6790
  • Gender: Male
  • North Metro Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:51:51 pm »
Why would you want to?  Are your wife and her sister interchangeable?   :-\  I mean, you can try, but I'll bet sooner or later sumpin bad's gonna happin.  So, they just ain't no sense to it...  Same with tryin to swap around critical parts of guns of different makes, models, manufacturers and such stuff as that...  ;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse and keeper of the peace.  Current interpreter of statute

Nemo me impune lacessit

                      
Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Frank46

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • ****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:26 pm »
Actually they are not. Both large ring and small ring 98 mausers have a third locking lug. Your more older small ring 91, 93-96
mausers only have two locking lugs. And they are (small ring) generally loaded with cartridges having about 45k pressures.
The large ring and small ring 98 mausers can go up to 50k or more depending on the cartridge. Small ring two locking lug mausers use the 7.65 argentine, 7mm mauser and 6.5x55 mauser cartridges. The large ring uses 8mm mauser, 7.65 mauser,
and a whole bunch of commercial cartridges. 30-06, 270win, and the like. Frank

Offline 1911crazy

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4928
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:03:29 pm »
The small ring '93 chilean bolt has a flat bottom while the '95 chilean i a round bolt and the '94, '96, 96/38 and '38 swedish bolts are the same but different than the rest of the small ring receivers and bolts. I believe that nothing will interchange.

The mexican 7mm mauser is a small ring receiver with a large sized 98 bolt.

The 98k 8mm bolts can also vary in length too.  The yugo 98k, german 98k and the turk '38 bolts will interchange.  The yugo '48 is a '98 receiver but with a shorter bolt in length.

I wouldn't do any nor recommend any bolt swapping with anything.  Unless you were missing a bolt and looking to replace it with an orginal.  Your also going to have the headspace checkout too if your going to use a different bolt.

I believe there are sporting swede small ring mausers in 8mm mauser.  Maybe Mikey will chime in and let us know.  There are large ring and small ring swede sporting mausers too.

Offline billy_56081

  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7511
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »
No! Even bolts between some of the different small ring mausers are different, the 93 spanish bolt has a square bottom while the 94, 95 and 96 are round.


There is a seperate forum for mausers, http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,252.0.html
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Mikey

  • GBO Supporter
  • Moderator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9008
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:02 am »
Goodtime:  Welcome aboard! 

No!  The bolts on the large ring and the small ring Mausers are not interchangable, just like Richard (AtlLaw) is not irrascible.....wives and in-laws aside, although there have been a few times when.....well, I s'pose I shouldn't go there........ 

If you need a bolt for a Mauser rifle you need to match it by model (93, 95, 96, 98) and even country of order - Spain, Argentina, Chile, Turkey, etc. 

If you're not too keen on this stuff then corral your local gunsmith to give you a hand.  HTH.

Offline goodtime7

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 20
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:08 pm »
thanks for all your insightful comments.   The action in question is a small ring Radom Polish mauser, that has a bolt, but the numbers don't match.  Sounds like a trip to my gunsmith is in order!!     

Offline billy_56081

  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7511
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:02 pm »
Small ring Polish Radom Mauser?

The only Polish Radon I have listed in my mauser manual is a model 1929 and is a large ring Mauser. Does your rifle cock on opening or closing? Basically if it cocks on closing when you are pushing the bolt closed the cocking peice comes out as you push the bolt closed that last .75 to 1 inch then turn the bolt down.

Another difference in most small and large ring mausers is a small ring action is the same diamiter all the wat from back to front, and the large ring has a step to a larger diamiter in front of the ejection port.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline S.S.

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2856
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »
Why would you want to?  Are your wife and her sister interchangeable?   :-\  I mean, you can try, but I'll bet sooner or later sumpin bad's gonna happin.  So, they just ain't no sense to it...    ;) ;D


just about wet myself on this one! ;D Water Pill and laughter don't mix too well sometimes!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline goodtime7

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 20
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:56:26 pm »
My action is the same diameter all the way back from the front receiver ring.    The markings are : 
F.B.
RADOM
1928

It cocks on the opening of the bolt.  The mis-matched bolt seems to fit just fine, etc.  However, the bolt is in poorer condition than the rest of the action.   So, that was part of the original question (wondering if I could replace the bolt with a large ring 98)  I want to barrel this to a 257 Roberts, as it has experienced the "bubba phenomenon", and really has no collector value.   My original concern in all of this is the safety issue, and as I mentioned I have a talented gunsmith to look this over.....   Only issue is that he is 200 miles away, so its not easy to drop over to his shop.

Addressing the comments about wife and sister:   Have you seen my wife's sister???   Ha!

Offline billy_56081

  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7511
  • Gender: Male
Re: Large ring and small ring mausers: Is the bolt the same?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
Here try this link, it shows a large and small side by side. http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6745/mauserlargeandsmallringds4.png
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.