Author Topic: Remington model 740 Woodsmaster!  (Read 2639 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington model 740 Woodsmaster!
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:49 am »
A good friend of mine bought a Remington model 740 Woodsmaster in 308 Win. for $150. When he started shooting it it would eject the spent shell with no problem but then the bolt would stay open. He took it apart and cleaned it really good and its been flawless ever since. It has some wear from being used over the years but it works great now. He told me if I want it he'll sell it to me for the $150 he paid for it. He has a few Remington pumps that he likes better then the auto. I don't know to much the Remington auto loaders, but I've been thinking about getting a 7400 Carbine. Are the Remington model 740 Woodsmaster good rifles, are they reliable? I don't think I'll get hurt for $150, I can alway sell it and get my money back. What do you think?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Graybeard Outdoors

« on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:49 am »

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:54:16 pm »
That's a good price, but understand that a 740 and 7400 has a life span that most agree is around 2000 rounds.........that said, inpect the rails the bolt rides on as that's where most of the problem is usually found.........Much has been written on this forum about the 740/ 7400 series.........I have a 7400 in a 270 and it's ok to hunt with, but not the kind of gun to go to the range and run round after round through..........

As far as the old 740's are concerned, buyer beware!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:57:44 pm »
Thanks victorcharlie! :grin:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:17:41 pm »
The original 740 is a far better gun than the replacement 742s and it was vastly superior to the latter replacements like the 7400. Each time Remington changed it the change was for the worst. Buy it, at that price it's a steal.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NYH1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:32:38 am »
I picked it up last night. It looks pretty good. The bluing is warn off under the receiver, but I guess thats to be expected being that the last year Remington manufactured this model was 1959. The rifle came with two magazines, a Weaver scope mount & rings and has the swivels for a sling. Hopefully I can shoot it tomorrow, it'll be the first day I've had off in the last few weeks, but I also have a lot of stuff to do around the house that has to get done before it starts to snow. I wanted the 30-06 Carbine, but if this rifle shoots good and is reliable a 308 Win. will be just fine. If all go's well I'll put a Leupold VX-II 2-7x28mm Ultralight scope on it with Leupold's scope mount and rings. Maybe even have the barrel cut and crowned to 18 inches. First thing first though, gotta see how she shoots! :grin:

Offline NYH1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:17:10 am »
Well I put a cheap scope on it and bore sighted it. Went to the range and fired four rounds a 25 yards to make sure it was on the paper. I could cover all four holes with a soda cap......I know, I know it was only 25 yards. I moved out to 50 yards and fired my first two rounds and they were within an inch (probably about 3/4 of an inch) of each other. My third round was about 5 inches to the right. Figuring it was me I fired one more round and it was in between my first two rounds and my third round. I set the rifle on its side and noticed the forearm was split right down the middle. I have no idea why this happened. The stock and forearm look like they were re-finished. Maybe it was cracked and the guy that sold it to my friend tried to hide it by re-finishing them. I planned on getting a new stock and forearm for it anyways, just not so soon. Other then the forearm cracking the rifle functioned great. I know that the gas operated semi-autos recoil less then the others and my Model 88 308 Win. doesn't recoil bad at all but I gotta tell you....this rifle is a real pleasure to shoot!

go2gbo.com Webutation