Author Topic: Barrel life of a 204 Ruger??  (Read 3743 times)

Offline KenSel

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Barrel life of a 204 Ruger??
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
About how many rounds fired before the accuracy starts to suffer?  I'm looking at getting a Rem 700 in 204 and I plan to shoot it quite a bit so I'm a little concerned about the barrel life of such a fast little cartridge.  I'm also looking at a 243 Win, just in case the 204 is a real barrel burner.

thanks,

Ken

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Barrel life of a 204 Ruger??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:07 am »
For get barrel life. Unless you do something really stupid like trying to put 500 rounds down the tube in 1 hour it will probably last you and your son a life time.  There is no such thing as a factory round that is a real barrel burner. About the only way to burn out a barrel hunting is to get into a PD town where keep shooting and don`t let your barrel cool.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:29:19 am »
Catfish, thanks for the reply.  I know that sustained shooting without letting the barrel cool down will burn out a barrel no matter how fast or slow the bullet is going, but I've heard that some of the fast varmint cartridges (17, 204, 22-250, and the 223/243WSSM's) were pretty hard on barrels and group size could start to expand after only about 1000 rounds.  I don't believe all the hype that I hear, but it does make me a little apprehensive.  You're probably right though, except as of now it will last me and my daughters a lifetime. :)  Hopefully I'll have a son next time around. ;)

thanks for the advice,
Ken

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:41:58 pm »
I doubt the 204 Ruger is going to be a barrel burner.  The best way to burn the barrel would be to go for maximum velocity loads with no time for barrel cooling.

According to the Hornady reloading manual, in testing the 224 WSSM (or maybe the 224 WSM; I don't have my reloading manual handy), throat erosion was noted after only about 300 rounds so some factory rounds are barrel burners.  Other acknowledged factory barrel burners are the 264 Win. Mag. and the 220 Swift though those aren't nearly as bad as the 224 WSSM.  Cautions about rapid repetitive shooting are also in the Hornady manual about such overbore rounds as the 7mm STW.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:20:32 pm »
If you are worried about the barrel life and it's cost then you have to wrong hobby.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:51:02 am »
Larry, being concerned with cost and barrel life doesn't mean I have the wrong hobby, it means that I'm smart! ;) 

Ken

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:15:30 am »
One of the wildcat I`m shooting right now is a .22-6mm. I can push 80 gn. bullets faster than a .22-250 can push a 55 gn. bullet. If I burn this barrel out I`ll have it set back and after it`s shot out again replace the barrel. The guy that built the gun for me said he has 1 out with over 2,000 rounds down the tube and it`s still shooting. I`m over 500 rounds and not noticing any loss in accuracy and not setting the bullet out yet.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:04 pm »
Catfish, that puts things into perspective for me.  I'm gonna be using the 204 for a varmint rig and I'll probably do some paper punching and practice my off hand shooting with it and I believe it will last me for a long time for those applications.  What do you use your .22-6mm for?  I met a guy at the range a few days ago shooting a TC Contender chambered for a 223 necked up to 7mm; It sure was a funny looking little cartridge.

Ken

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:52:36 pm »
When you burn a given amount of powder and put it through a hole, the smaller the hole the more metal will be burned off each time.  It is simple, smaller area equales more metal boiled off each shot.  So, using the same amount of powder and a like pressure, a .17 will have less barrel life than a .30 cal.  Your .20 will last longer than my .17 but less than your buddy's .223.  Just like cars, it costs money to go fast, and you pay for it either way, ther is no free lunch.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 10:33:45 pm »
Larry, I completely understand that concept and I'm looking for a happy medium of speed/flat trajectory and barrel life.  I know a 223 will last me a life time but I just have no interest in the cartridge.  I like the 17 Rem Fireball, 204 Ruger, 22-250, 243, and about every 25 there is.  I do have to check the twist rate for the Rem 700 SPS in 204 though because I'm really wanting to use the 39gr. Sierra Blitzking.  I need to do some research and see how much coyote pelts are selling for.  If they're not bringing in much then I'll probably just buy a 243 Win for them.  Trust me I know this is gonna be an expensive hobby; I'm already planning to buy 3 rifles specifically for predator/varmint hunting, but I want them to last long enough to pass down to my kids.  Like you said, "theres no free lunch", but if I can get a steak for the same price as a salad.... well then pass me the A-1 sir and please keep the advice coming.  I'm new and appreciate all the wisdom and experience you bring to the table.  This is a little of topic of my post title but oh well it's my post. :)  If you were going to buy 3 rifles in 3 different calibers specifically for predator and varmint hunting what would they be?  I'm thinking a Rem 700 SPS in 17Rem Fireball for calling and to keep the pelts;  a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA in 243 Win for just blasting yotes at long ranges, and ?????17HMR,204Rug,22-250, 25 cal of some sort,7mmWSM???????  Don't have a clue on the 3rd choice but I'm pretty set on the other 2.  I was pretty set on the 204 but only with the 39gr. Blitzking, and there's not much I can do with the 204 that can't be done with the 17RF.  Please feel free to step in and give me your take.

thanks,
Ken

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:44:54 am »
3000-5000

jmo

Offline HOG

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:59:06 am »
I have just under 3000 rounds through my .204 Savage.  In Jan. I went 3 for 3 @ 430 yds on ground squirrels.  Accuracy is still there.
Steve

Offline crawlnshoot

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:06:57 pm »
If your concerned about barrel life with the 204, your going the wrong way with the 243. The 243 is an infamous barrel burner, most average only 1200-1500 rounds and if your loading for max speed you can expect a much shorter barrel life. If you want a cartridge that mirrors 243 balistics try the 6BR. JMHO

Jim Berry

Offline KenSel

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:13 pm »
Jim,  I had no idea the 243 was a barrel burner, especially not as bad as you mentioned (1200-1500 rounds)!   :o
I'm gonna have to do some looking into the barrel life of different calibers before I plop my cash on the counter.  I was pretty set on getting a 243 but now the 223 is sounding a lot better to me.

thanks,

Ken

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:28 am »
A reloading manual would be your best resource - as mentioned review how much powder a reload calls for vs caliber. More powder + smaller bore ='s more wear. You might also want to look a Dave Tubbs book on competitive shooting as he covers caliber and barrel accuracy for a variety of calibers. A 243 will exhibit more wear than the 260, 7mm -08 and parent 308 WIN it is based on other as powder loads are similar.

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:24:38 am »
My Ruger 204 is closing in on 2k rounds and is still shooting small groups.

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:31 am »
2000 plus with no observed decrease in accuracy - for me it is a matter of how much powder is used compared to bore size. Take a look at the amount of powder compared to a 223 and a 22-250 and you will see the 204 should not be a barrel burner unless you push it to max's all the time. Of real interest is how efficent the 221 and 17 Fireball's are - alot less powder for similar performance to the 23 and 204. The 221 Fireball would certainly be a good choice for the reloader to start with.

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:00:21 am »
Owning a fast shootin rifle and worrying about barrel life is like owning a fast car and worrying about tires. Just doesn't make sense.
With that I have two .204 rugers, both have 2500 rds. thru them, both get used extensively on pds many times a year and both do not fail to deliver. I would worry more about what it cost to buy the ammo required to "burn out the barrel".

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 10:23:04 am »
If I recall, when the .204 was first introduced it was specifically touted as not being a "barrel burner."

Offline LONGTOM

• GBO Subscriber
  • Trade Count: (431)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:54 pm »
Boys I have had all of the calibers mentioned except the SWIFT and a friend of mine has one in an old RUGER flatbolt. All have had anywhere from 800 to as many as 4000 rounds down their barrels with the exception of the 204 which only has around 400 so far and that one has never been completely cleaned in its life.
Only a dry bore snake about every 80 to 120 rounds.
I can honestly say that I have seen no real difference in their accessory over the years.
The SWIFT is the one with just a tad over 4000 and it will still shoot under 1" at 100 with very warm hand loads.

I take that back, my TC CUSTOM SHOP 17 REMINGTON would not shoot until it had between 4 to 7 rounds down her to foul the barrel and then it would scream with accessory for the next 8 to 10 rounds and then it was like you turned a switch and it would be so fouled you couldn't keep a 4" group so I sold it.

Has anyone really ever shoot a barrel out.
I know in the 40 some years I have been shooting I never have.

The only ones I ever saw were ones that were shot for long periods with out a cool down and most of those were military guns from in country (NAM).

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07