Author Topic: S&W 686 vs a Ruger GP 100  (Read 2079 times)

Offline WJM

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W 686 vs a Ruger GP 100
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:09 pm »
I am going to buy a handgun for my wife to have at home when I travel. We have decided on a revolver. The autos are just to complicated for her. She would shoot 38 special ammo only, even though I would buy a .357 magnum. In the $500 price range I was looking at a 4 inch new Ruger GP100 or a very, very nice condition used S&W 686. What are your thoughts? I know  you can dry fire the Ruger without hurting it, but what about the S&W?

Graybeard Outdoors

S&W 686 vs a Ruger GP 100
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:09 pm »

Offline dscp

• Active Trader
  • Trade Count: (199)
  • Active Trader Life
Re: S&W 686 vs a Ruger GP 100
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »
MY FRIEND,         the S&W 686 is the king of the courtyard in my book . i have at least one in each barrel length . i can remember looking up a 180 gr load in the 'book' and they went through alsorts of jive on trimming the case more than normal and all. i put together one round ( no primer , no powder) it had no problems evident in any of my 357's .   i later went to a gun show and asked a dealer if i could see a COLT . it would never chanber ! i called SMITH and talked to a "smith' he said that i could shoot all the 180 gr + ammo that i wanted . it would hurt my hand worse than the gun . sorry i did not have a RUGER to try it in .
just the two cents of an old man , but a believer in 686 !
dscp
ENDOWEMENT MEMBER NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN
UNITED STATES NAVY RETIRED

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:44:28 am »
Both are an excellent choice. The Smith will be a little smoother than the Ruger in new condition. Both are strong and have cylinders long enough to handle the 180-grain load. I have a Colt King Cobra and it will not chamber my 150 Keith bullet in .357 cases because the cylinder it too short. Not a problem with either the Smith or Ruger.

If you go to the used market, and I would not have any problem buying a used 686 or GP-100, the Ruger might be a little cheaper. If it makes any difference, the Ruger does not have any MIM parts on it, where I think the current Smiths have MIM hammers and triggers.

They weigh and balance about the same. One small advantage is the easily interchangeable front sight on the GP-100. The Ruger may be slightly more durable than the Smith, but for 99% of people, this will never become a factor.

Handle them both and buy the one that seems to feel and handle the best. If your wife is going to shoot it too, she had better have a large part in the selection of your purchase. Also, the MOST IMPORTANT thing - Be sure she has TRAINING with the revolver and can handle it. If she is intimidated by it, she is probably better off with NO gun at all.

Steve

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:45:39 pm »
I love the Ruger for its ruggedness, plus, the grip is pretty nice, too. However, the triggers are just terrible. The S&W is a much smoother gun, and much better for your wife. Of course, you can get a trigger job on the Ruger, but you have to be really careful. Some jerks will just cut off a couple of coils from the hammer spring and call it a trigger job.

The 686 is one of the finest .357 revolvers ever made. Second only to the Colt Python in my opinion. The 2.5" 686 is about the best balanced gun I have ever handled. I started out a Ruger man, and I own several, however, once I "discovered" S&W revolvers, there was no turning back.

If she is going to primarily shoot .38/.38+P ammo, you might also look for a S&W K-frame. They are a bit lighter, and would be easier for her to handle. (Blued models, 13 & 19, stainless models 65, & 66.) These still handle .357 loads as well, so don't turn down a good deal on one of these if the opportunity arises.

I'm really glad you are getting a revolver. Some guys are just convinced the wife has to get what HE wants, and she ends up with a gun she cannot shoot well. Wise choice.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:32 pm »
Second on the let her shoot it.  My wife will shoot your eyes out if she can pull the hammer back on any pistol, put her in double action mode and it all over.   The hammer back mode is dicy as its less than 4lbs to someone getting shot, they may need shooting  but scared can do weird thing to you. Practice practice practice with her.  I have never worried about my wife and her ability to handle the home defense gun but question if she would have it in her to thump a thug, of course with children now in the home I question it less.  Never mess with a sow with cubs right?  Saftey for her and the family she is protecting is the main thing.  SN

Offline jro45

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 06:15:13 am »
I have a Ruger 100 In 357 I also have a S&W in 357 The Ruger is a fine gun but so is the S&W

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:29:32 am »
I own both , Smith and Ruger revolvers........I like both , there is no doubt ( IMO ) that the Ruger is a little beefier , but the Smith is smoother , hands down !   I'm the kinda guy that will buy a 3/4 ton pick-up to haul the kids around in.....hence , I like the Ruger.  If as you have said, its for your wife, and she is going to shoot 38 + Ps ........the Smith would be hard to beat !  All due respect to the dedicated Smith owners on this forum....I would not feed a " steady diet " of  "full load"  357 mags through the 686.  Good Luck ,  make sure your wife understands , IF she pulls her weapon, she must be of the mind-set to use it !  She must not try to scare a bad guy.........

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:24:23 pm »
this sounds like a pretty slick way to end up with two sweet 357s. i'd say good chance she may not like either. too bad bcause now you are stuck with them. passify her with a 19. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:20:29 pm »
   A good condition .38 Special revolver is fine. Make sure it is reliable, probably Smith and Wesson, Taurus. Don't worry about a "Magnum". A .38 is just fine. Teach her safely how to use it and you guys are well protected. Oh, don't listen to the 10yrs or so recent theories about the .38 being weak. It was a universal police service cartridge for about 85 years but only the last 10 years it was "not powerful" enough
 ::)   Ask Lee Harvey Oswald.......He was downed by a 158gr. Round Nosed Lead........

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:14:14 am »
I can't say about the GP-100,never owned or shot one.I have a couple of SBH in .44 mag,but that's a different story.But on the other I can.I have a 686 (7 shot) w/4" barrel.It is the best .357 I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.Never had any problems out of it whatsoever.I can stay in a 6" circle at 30 yrds all day long with it.That may not be good enough for some,but for me that as good as it gets....Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:18 am »
   Forgot about Rugers. They are good guns too. And I agree, the S&W 686 is a gem. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

go2gbo.com Webutation