Taurus Tracker 4 or 6 inch 357 Mag - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Default Taurus Tracker 4 or 6 inch 357 Mag

I am looking real hard at these. I reload for the 38 and 357 mag. I have 2 rifles that shoot the 38 spcl/357 mag and one of em even goes up to max. I want a pistol to round out that family for fun range plinking and Hoosier deer hunting should I choose. Plus I have a real chance at going to Alaska in 2020 hunting. That is not a done deal yet, but it is looking real promising. So I want a revolver that is:

1. Reliable.

2. Lightweight enough to carry in a chest or should rig for extended periods of time.

3. Reasonably comfortable to shoot using full house mag loads. I am talking 180 gr hard cast under full house charges. (Buffalo Bore or HMS comes to mind). Granted this will not be the primary round, but I must be able to shoot and handle it effectively.

I had a Ruger LCR. That thing was a beast with defensive rounds. Not bad with 38 spcl or 38 +p. Honestly, I could never get through all 5 shots with out waving the white flag with full house 357 mags. I like the idea of a ported barrel that might mitigate some of that recoil, but never had one so...

I plan on purchasing a new one.

Does anyone have this revolver? Does it work well? Issues to look out for? Holster recommendations? Grip choices, etc...

Appreciate your replies in advance.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Don't have it now but used to have a 4" total titanium tracker. It was one of the few Taurus guns I've owned that was actually a very good one. I shot it very accurately. I let it go cuz I like longer barrels and was planning to get one with the 6.5" barrel but never found one to replace the 4". Wish I had held onto it.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 AM

I have a ss 4" 44mag tracker, I have never shot it. I bought it because I wanted a double action smallish 44 and I like the looks. BTW subtract about an inch from barrel length, there is no barrel under the porting. I have a number of Rossi/Taurus products and have always thought their designs were innovative. If I were you just google Taurus reviews on the web. IF you get a good one your lucky, if you have to have contact with the Co. Rossi/Taurus you will probably be very unhappy. I have had miserable experiences with them and I am through with that co. My advice is buy a Ruger or Smith. While I still think their designs are innovative their execution isn't so great and their service and policies are the worst!!! I reported them to the better business bureau.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:06 AM

I have the 4" .357 Tracker. Had it about a year and no problems, although I've only put a few hundred rounds thru it so far. I'm happy with it so far, it's reasonably light, pleasant to shoot even with 158 grain full power loads (haven't shot any 180 grains in it). The "ribbed" rubber grips that come on it seem to do a good job of cushioning the recoil, but do feel a bit odd in the hand at first. After I got used to the slightly "squishy" feel I don't mind them. Eventually will probably get a set of the Hogue rubber grips - mainly because I just like the looks of them better.

Got two Bianchi holsters for it. The model 7 Shadow 2 and the 111 Cyclone. Both fit the gun well. When looking for holsters you'll find a lot of places don't list much specifically for the Tracker .357. Both of mine are actually listed for the S&W 686 Plus and I think most any holster for that will fit the Tracker quite well - at least mine do. Same with speedloaders.

I've owned a variety of .357 magnums over the years (Smiths, Colts, and Rugers) and this Tracker is about the same as far as controllability as any of them. Never could see much difference in any .357 4" barrel revolvers - they're all loud and kick a bit with full power loads.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Does the porting really help with taming the recoil? Is it worth it to take the chance?

I have heard stories good an bad like any other manufacturer. The common complaint is you have to pay for shipping if there is a problem. From what I have read the common issue seems to be a cylinder lock problem. I have also generally read that it does comes back and is generally reported as being fixed. Again this is from reading the reviews on line.

As a side note I bought The Rossi 45/410 Rossi revolver carbine when it first came out. I hated it. It worked, but accuracy with that thing was horrible. To be fair I was new to guns when I bought that one. So I take that experience with a grain of salt looking back on that, but I have been wary of Brazilian made stuff ever since. However, I am trying to stay objective. I do not know if Rossi and Taurus are one and the same. That is why I am kinda hesitating on this. It looks good, I like the idea of the porting, but at the end of the day it has to work. I can accept an occasional "factory" adjustments if needed as I have plenty of time to take care of known fixable issues. Inconvenient, yes, but not a deal breaker.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Don't have it now but used to have a 4" total titanium tracker. It was one of the few Taurus guns I've owned that was actually a very good one. I shot it very accurately. I let it go cuz I like longer barrels and was planning to get one with the 6.5" barrel but never found one to replace the 4". Wish I had held onto it.
I actually looked for the Titanium model after you mentioned it. It appears they do not make them anymore. I liked the sound of that, but I imagine it would be considerably more than a SS or blued model.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:30 AM

rossi and Taurus are one and same. Taurus bought rossi.

mike
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
rossi and Taurus are one and same. Taurus bought rossi.

mike
I thought I had heard that at one time. Was not sure. Is it that Taurus makes a better product than Rossi or was it the other way around before the merger? My only experience with a Rossi was not a good one, but I do share some of that blame due to my own ignorance on revolvers and the effect of loooong chambers in revolver for a short pistol round. Live and learn.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Problem with your Taurus is the first thing you prioritized. Reliable. Somewhat hit or miss. I had nothing but misses so my opinion is they are not dependable. But to each his own.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:03 PM

whether its rossi or Taurus the same people handle all issues in Fla. I liked and still do like the looks of the tracker and it appears to be a well made gun. They have a lifetime warranty but if mine fails it is not going back to them for repair. If I were spending the money for an Alaskan hunt I would not be taking the Tracker as a back up gun. By any standards Taurus has a dubious reputation for quality and service. You may get a good one, you may not. I would take my 44 superblackhawk or my ruger sentinel 357. More likely I would buy a ruger redhawk 44mag to get a double action. That cylinder lock you mention is pretty serious if a bear has your head in his mouth. You seem tolerant of the service reputation that Taurus has, if it happens to you be sure and report how you feel about it. Just carefully read the threads in this Rossi/Taurus forum including graybeards. I wish you well in your decision.

mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page