Shot my Luger - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Shot my Luger

While at the farm getting ready for deer season I finally got a chance to fire that Luger I bought a few months back. It functioned perfectly and was surprisingly accurate. It felt substantial in the hand, is beautifully balanced and points naturally.

All in all I'm very impressed with the weapon and am glad I have at least 500 rounds of 9mm ammo! ;D I would have shot it more then I did but loading those magazines is a real chore! I'm gonna have to find a loader for them... :-\

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Shot my Luger

Lugers are absolutely beautifully designed and crafted pistols. I truly enjoy owning and shooting mine. You're correct about the magazines, they'll put a hurting on your thumb if you don't invest in a loading tool. The repros aren't too expensive. I think I overpaid for mine ($20), but it surely makes loading much more pleasant.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Ex 49'er posted a link for a tool advertised on Gunbroker. Really cheap (less then $10 I think). Ima gonna order one rite now! ;D

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:29 PM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

Here's one from ebay that looks like the one on Gunbroker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-P08-L...YAAOSwQupXVL~y

There was one on ebay that came from India that was 10 tools for $40 w/free shipping and they had WWII Waa markings. Average price
is about $9 w/$3 shipping and on up from there.
Good luck and Happy shooting.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:39 PM

I have a great love and respect for Georg Luger's toggle action. I feel this is one of the first truly ergonomically designed pistols ever built. You can literally shoot the things blindfolded, accurately. I have two and love'm. One a Naval 7.65 mm Luger with a 6" bbl and thr other a lovely civilian 9 with a 4" bbl. I used to be able to pot Jackrabbilts with that 30 Luger to better than 100 yds when I could see them. I miss the availability of surplus ammo.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 AM

So your telling me I need a Luger? I have a stoeger Luger in 22lr. I guess I need its 9mm brother. The prices on these is beyond silly lately.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy
So your telling me I need a Luger?
Yup!

Just like a 1911 and a Colt SAA, every pistolero needs a Luger! ;D

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D MAN View Post
So your telling me I need a Luger? I have a stoeger Luger in 22lr. I guess I need its 9mm brother. The prices on these is beyond silly lately.

Prices are indeed high, but then all gun prices are on the rise. Have you checked out the cost of a new Colt single action lately? Sturm-Ruger started out by pricing their guns as entry level albeit of higher quality. Nowadays they're priced alongside their competitors. The thing about Lugers is that no more are being manufactured. Lugers are true classics and will only increase in value as time marches on. And, due to inevitable attrition, they will continue to become less available.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM

I long admired the Luger from afar, no doubt the most natural pointing auto pistol, and with the fixed barrel and sights it has a natural advantage in accuracy. I just couldn't justify the collector pricing even for a mismatched "shooter". I finally coughed up $900 for a new Mauser built pistol produced in the 1970's for Navy Arms. Mine is a 9mm with 6" barrel and grip safety. It has functioned very well and shoots accurately with at least some brands of ammo. Contrary to "common knowledge" the trigger on mine is pretty decent. I do not recommend the grip safety as it is a bit uncomfortable, the thumb safety only serves to block the grip safety so in effect the grip safety is the only safety on models so equipped.
The combination tool is a very useful accessory and almost a necessity to load more than 5 rounds in a magazine. Be aware however that some of the cheap reproductions lack the little lip which fits under the magazine button to prevent it slipping off. If you have the follower depressed and the tool slips the stack of cartridge will slam upward with enough force to damage the magazine. I reground my tool with a small wheel on my Dremel tool to imitate the missing lip. It was almost impossible to use the tool before re-working it.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've never shot one in 1.65MM but, my code 42 in 9MM shoots great!
Steve

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA,AF&AM #294 Mohamed's Shrine, and York Rite bodies of Bloomington Il. LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years,/now retired!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page