Moving Down in Caliber - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducker View Post
D Fischer, I have shot deer out to 800 yds with a 30/06 using a mild handloaded 150 grain Hornady Interlok bullet. One doe at that range I intentionally shot in the neck just to see if I could and what the result would be. She was staggering around like a heifer with mad cow disease when I got to her and I had to finish her with a shot from a revolver I was carrying and will never attempt something as foolhardy ever again, though I seriously doubt I can hold a rifle as steady in the field as I did at that time of my life. When I first bought that 30/06 Rem. 700 I sighted it in with factory Rem Corelokt 180 grain soft point bullets. I was shooting with a friend in his in-laws pasture and there was a large rusty piece of iron laying on one end of the field that was about 10' long and stood about 3' high. I shot it from close range to put a hole to aim at then paced off what I thought was about 240 yds, and wrapping up in the nylon sling for support I shot a five shot group I could have covered with a teacup. That was my first new rifle and my favorite. My oldest son has had it for ten or twelve years now and he wouldn't part with it for anything. I gave each of my kids one of my rifles and he wanted that one but didn't think I would let him have it, but I love my kids more than that rifle. I probably would have just as much faith in a good 270Win as that 06 if I had started with that but I considered the 06 a do-all caliber. Hope you have good luck hunting, and thanks for letting me ramble.
Good luck to you too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Location: Officially I live in Florida but I can sometimes be found in Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage .250 View Post
Weight is the biggest issue for me.
like you I hunted with an 30- 06 for years. Never wanted/needed anything else.
Then it got heavy. Very heavy!
So did my Weatherby Vanguard. It was one of those sweet shooting Vanguard models in 30-06, but as I aged it got heavier and heavier, so a few years ago I decided to put it on a diet. I swapped out the stock with a very lightweight Kevlar reinforced custom job. That got the overall weight down to 6 lbs or a little less. It is around 7 lb with a scope. It is a much better pointing rifle, and with the new stock shoots even straighter. It sort of looks like one of those fancy mountain rifles. It is easy to carry again. The only problem is at the range it kicks like a government mule. Fortunately I am not too recoil sensitive and I don't spend a lot of time at the bench with that rifle. In the field I have never noticed the kick.

I just got the 6.5 Swede and am planning to use it this fall. It is much better at the range. With a shorter barrel it is probably handier than the 30-06, but about a pound heavier with a light weight scope.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Shot nothing for deer and other varmits but a .243 from 1980 until last year, never saw a need for more in deer, killed at least 300 on our farms in eastern NC...I did buy a .270 last year simply because as a granddad my plans are to pass the .243 down to my oldest grandson....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Location: Officially I live in Florida but I can sometimes be found in Missouri

Nobody ever went wrong advising somebody buy a 30-06. It is a cartridge in the North American sweet spot. Large enough for elk and moose and small enough for antelope. If you can only afford one center fire rifle you can't go wrong with a 30-06.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:39 PM

I like the 30-30 a lot.
Shooting one is about like the straight bolt handle Turkish 8x57carbine I used to have but in a better platform. I like lightweight handy rifles. A 336 isn't the lightest, but it's nice to carry.

30-06 700 BDL was my first centerfire rifle. Very nice, but awfully loud and really more than needed for smaller big game.
308 and 270 were after that. Both were in lighter guns that I preferred.
Then a .243

The 8x57 was my one and only non-mainstream chambered rifle, and it will be the last.

Next up will be a lightweight bolt .223 and a .357 lever carbine.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Gun Cabinet

My 30-06 has been neglected for a number of years now. I use a 300BLK and 6.5 Grendel more than all my other rifles combined.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 PM

Started serious Michigan deer hunting with a M77 30-06, switched to a 44/77 for a season when elbow problems made toting the scoped 06 a literal pain, then had a .308 Douglas barrel put on a Mexican Mauser action and glass stock. Dropped down to No. 1 7x57 and M700 with heavy 7-08 Kreiger barrel last couple of years. Would go afield with M700 Classic 6.5x55, but I cannot get it to shoot satisfactory groups for confidence in hay field hunting.

Delighted with southern deer hunting regulations which let me use the 77/44 instead of the 12 ga slug gun!

I really like those medium cartridges, but just acquired a 30-06 Tikka T3 Lite which shoots so well on first load tried that I might go back to the 30-06 for as long as I can handle the recoil. Load development and sighting in with Past shoulder pad, rolled up towel, or foam pad from old life jacket is tolerable with the 06.

Regardless, rifle/shotgun weight when still hunting and recoil thump become more difficult as we boomers age.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

M134,
I had a good H4895 load in my 30-06 that was using Hodgdon's reduced load data and a 125gr Nosler BT. You might give it a try in your Tikka. https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ifle-loads.pdf

Let me know when you have decided to throw in the towel on that Rem 700 6.5x55.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 AM

LOL!! I'm not wearing a life jacket to go hunting unless I'm in a canoe!

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 PM

I recently moved down in power (as an experiment). Typically I would use something 308ish as my main hunting rifle but I have bought an Alfa Proj 357mag carbine. It's one weird rifle but I've very happy with it. It's cheap to shoot, is short and light. The short and light part makes it handy for shooting out the window of my vehicle - I usually hunt alone and like to drive up to dams and creeks to surprise any pigs that may be there so the shooting needs to be done quickly without messing around with getting a long barrel rifle out of the car. I can't walk for too long these days because I have arthritis in my big toe (the cartilage has completely gone from the main joint in that toe).

I've just been out on a property to see how it would go on pigs - didn't see any pigs but the property owner told me that he had a roo problem and a permit to cull a thousand of them. I have a reflex sight mounted on the rifle and it's a breeze getting the rifle from the passenger side, or from my lap, up and out the window. The 357mag dropped most of the roos on the spot with a single shot providing they were 80m or closer (chest shots) - this was pretty much the limit with the reflex sight anyway given the size of the aiming point at that distance. Those that did start to hop away after being shot collapsed and died quickly. The projectiles destroyed the lung and/or heart - there was always plenty of bright red blood near the carcass when I drove up for inspection. I was using both 180gn and 158gn Hornady XTPs and there was no difference in the performance. They also have the same POA out to 100yards (tested at the rifle range) with the reflex sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page