6.5x55 Swede - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Default 6.5x55 Swede

Not new to guns or hunting, just never had an urge for a bolt gun and now I do. For my purpose, the 6.5x55 Swede has won the toss, and now I am looking for a platform. What's looking good to me right now is a Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500. Howa looks interesting right now largely because of the ability to buy a barreled action, and put it in a hogue with a full bedding block, but I got to put a few rounds through a Tikka T3 last week, and it handled well.

For those that are familiar with the Swede, any recommendations? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Gun Cabinet

My only experience is with a Carl Gustav Mauser and a 98 that was converted to 6.5x55.
If I were to go that route today Id consider a CZ 550 due to the reputation and the single set trigger.

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 PM

The Swede was a great success because of the characteristics of the 6.5 mm round. Nowadays you would be better served with a 6.5 Creedmore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:15 PM

I'm impressed with both the Howa 1500 and the Tikka T3. Mine, both stainless and in 30-06, shoot better than I do. The Howa is heavier and will be easier to find a used stock for. Howa is a more traditional design with an integral recoil lug and has been around for a while. Broader selection of aftermarket stocks and scope rings/bases.

T3 recoil lug is a separate piece that fits in recesses in the receiver and the stock. Spare magazines and aftermarket rings are not available in mid-Michigan local gun shops. My slightly used T3 came with a picatinny scope base the ends of which did not clear the scope bells and the rear base screw was so tight that the head sheared off when I tried to remove the base.

IMHO there isn't a lick of practical difference between 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 57, 6.5 Creedmore, and .260 Remington when loaded with the same bullet and powder charges providing comparable muzzle velocity. The Swede could be hot-rodded by rechambering to"modern" Swede loads. Most common factory ammo is loaded to pressures the attorneys are comfortable with when shot in M96 rifles built between 1896 and 1938.

I believe the Howa and T3 6.5 x 55 rifles will be long action. The 6.5 Creedmore is typically a medium length action. Unless you are thinking about a very light mountain rifle ( not with a Hogue stock and stock barrel) the differences in weight are inconsequential.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 PM

I'm impressed with both the Howa 1500 and the Tikka T3. Mine, both stainless and in 30-06, shoot better than I do. The Howa is heavier and will be easier to find a used stock for. Howa is a more traditional design with an integral recoil lug and has been around for a while. Broader selection of aftermarket stocks and scope rings/bases.

T3 recoil lug is a separate piece that fits in recesses in the receiver and the stock. Spare magazines and aftermarket rings are not available in mid-Michigan local gun shops. My slightly used T3 came with a picatinny scope base the ends of which did not clear the scope bells and the rear base screw was so tight that the head sheared off when I tried to remove the base.

IMHO there isn't a lick of practical difference between 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 57, 6.5 Creedmore, and .260 Remington when loaded with the same bullet and powder charges providing comparable muzzle velocity. The Swede could be hot-rodded by rechambering to"modern" Swede loads. Most common factory ammo is loaded to pressures the attorneys are comfortable with when shot in M96 rifles built between 1896 and 1938.

I believe the Howa and T3 6.5 x 55 rifles will be long action. The 6.5 Creedmore is typically a medium length action. Unless you are thinking about a very light mountain rifle ( not with a Hogue stock and stock barrel) the differences in weight are inconsequential.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:28 AM

I own a Tikka and a CZ550 in 6.5x55, and have owned a Model 98 and an Encore in this caliber. The Tikka is light and handy. The CZ is a controlled round feed mauser derivative. Either can be loaded to modern presure limits and both shoot extremely well. I have heard that in the past the Howa rifles had some accuracy problems with the 6.5 barrels but believe this has been fixed. I would buy whichever fit me the best. It is a nice round that I think you will be happy with.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the feedback ... I'll take a look at CZ, which isn't a hard sell as I like CZ for other things. Just finished reading the Swedish study on moose hunting where they tracked by caliber how many moose, how many shots taken per moose on average, and how far the moose went before it quit. Very eye opening comparison of calibers, and very favorable of the Swede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparedes View Post
Nowadays you would be better served with a 6.5 Creedmore
That's not what I'm hearing/reading/seeing; the Swede in Lapua brass using modern loads/bullets and not the old loads designed for 100 year old weaker actions, gives up nothing to the Creed, with less recoil typically.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 AM

Don't sell the factory "downloaded" ammo short, unless you're looking for the flattest shooting load you can find. For effectiveness on medium game the 139/140 bullets at around 2600fps are hard to beat. Lots of penetration due to their sectional density and modest velocity, and very pleasant to shoot.

I've owned some fancy Whitetail guns over the years, but have sold/traded most of them off and went to my old Swede M96 w/simple 4X scope for 90% of my deer hunting. It just does a great job.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM

The advantage of the Creedmoor is the large quantities of factory loaded ammo and the availability of match grade ammo at a reasonable price.
Also is available in short(.308 length) action rifles.

And there will be a larger selection of rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

If the plan is to reload then the ammo won't matter.

All Tikka T3's are long action. So if you get a Tikka the rifles will be the same size anyway.

A .260 is a short action case that won't fit in a short action magazine with long bullets seated out to normal depth.

As far as recoil difference between the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. If loaded to the same speed with the same bullet weight and the same weight rifle, the recoil will be the same also.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.

Last edited by Sheridan5mm; 12-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:37 PM

My 6.5x55 is a wood stock Mod 70 Feather Weight, love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page