300 H&H speaks - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Default 300 H&H speaks

Ive had a 300 h&h rem classic for about 10 years. For some reason ive never killed a deer with it. Took it out last night loaded with 180 interlocks. Had two does and a spike come out at a bit over 300 yards. Rushed the first shot and missed. Deer just stood there. Took my time and shot again dumped one doe. The other two took one leap and stood broad side. Shot the spike next and the second doe just stood there so I dumped that one too. All three dropped on the spot. Ive been using fast small bores like the 2506 257 and 240 wbys for a couple years. What impressed me was the lack of meat damage. all three had a small enterance hole and about a golf ball sized exit. Took out the top of one shoulder on one doe I hit a bit high but other then that just rib damage. Kind of cool to use that grand old school round.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:14 AM

For minimal to no meat loss... big, heavy, slow is the ticket. In the last 10yrs, My longest shot on a deer has been 165yds. I have come to love My 358 Win shooting 225grn SGK's. My outside limit with this combo is 225yds, because it starts to drop very fast after that. I can catch a shoulder bone on the exit side and guarantee a DRT. No tracking, no bloodshot meat, and the animal bled out nicely.

I have a 250 Savage that shooots 85grn TTSX's like a lazer beam. The last deer I took with it was a 145yd shot, there was no evidence of a hit and the deer ran off. Found no blood, nothing. Thought I must have missed. Back in the stand, after some thought, I said " NO", I don't miss a shot like that. It took Me hours to find that deer 150yads away. I had to get on My hands and knees crawling around in the thick stuff. The wound was a "zip through " hitting no major bones. Lungs were full of blood, but hardly any on the outside.

As I said, I love My 358Win, and I can't wait to take one with My 444 Marlin ;-))

Jim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Nothing more needed than a stable of H&H mags.375 and a 300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Good job! Slow heavy bullets do the trick. Eat almost up to the bullet hole.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Hay guys, that 300 H&H isn't a slow bullet. its a doing close to 3000 fps. now what yaw got to say?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Ya don't run them that fast. 180-220gr at 2400 fps is plenty.

Winchester was the first major firearms manufacturer to offer these cartridges to the general public in a quality rifle at affordable prices, and Western Cartridge Co. simultaneously began offering a number of loadings for the .300 H&H—loads that were eventually some 200 fps faster than the British ammunition. Originally, velocities for 150-, 180-, and 200-grain bullets were on the anemic side, listed as 3,000, 2,700, and 2,350 fps, respectively.

There's less effort to seal the case mouth, and extraction and resizing is a breeze.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

yes it is. My 180 interlocks leave the 24 inch barrel about 50fps slower then my 300 win shoots the same bullet out of a 26 inch barrel. So for all practical purposes there identical. Why use it on deer? becasuse it doesn't do any more damage then a light jacketed 2506 270 ect and it ALLWAYS leaves an exit wound. We shoot a lot of deer and don't really like chasing them in the woods. the woods around these fields are usualy cedar swamps and about every field is surrounded by about 50 feet of elephant grass. Finding blood trails is tough and dragging them out of those swamps is tough. Even if I make a marginal shot the 300 mags about allways leave a better blood trail then the smaller calibers. I don't consider the 300 wsm, 300 win mag and 300 H&H overkill on deer at 300 yards. Now I sold my 300 ultra and rarely use the 7stw anymore because they do tear up deer and are an overkill in my opinion. I guess ive never seen a deer to dead. Some of the most tore up deer ive seen have been by the high velocity small bores. Ive used 243, 6mm 240 wby,250 sav, 257 rob, 2506 257wby, 308.270.,280, 06 all the 7mags except the wby and all the 30 mags and even a 338 and 8mag. If I was held down to pick my favorites #1 would be the grand old 06, second would be one of the 30 mags and third the 240 wby. Last one is a head scratcher. My 240 (maybe some luck involved) just seems to deck deer. The few that ran didn't make more then 50 yards. Im sure partly to the fact it shoots 1/2 moa and has a great trigger so its easy to shoot precisely. Part of the reason is I just like that little mag and like the rifle its in. But 8 times out of 10 youll catch me out there with a 30 cal of some kind and out of those 8 a good 6 times it would be with one of my 06s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat View Post
Hay guys, that 300 H&H isn't a slow bullet. its a doing close to 3000 fps. now what yaw got to say?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM

300 H&H: I say it's about the same any of the other 300 Mags. The old H&H was the yard stick for magnum calibers for many years. Check out the data to see the difference between 300 H&H and 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM

Another feature of the 300 H&H is the rounds tapered shape. Feeds better than the 300 WM round. At least feeds more reliably.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

yup, probably the smoothest feeding round on the market. Looks sexy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Another feature of the 300 H&H is the rounds tapered shape. Feeds better than the 300 WM round. At least feeds more reliably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in