lets talk 6.5 grendel - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
Now to me this one makes sense. It actually fits in an ar15. Seems like it would make one into a decent 200 deer rifle. Anyone shooting one or hunting with one? Do they run well in an ar15 or are they finiky like a 762x39 ar15? Any kill experience? I know its based off the same case. Can brass be easily made out of 762x39? Don't need a bunch of magic bullet 6.5 koolaid opinions. Ive hunted with 6.5 rounds for 30 years and never found any mystical magic in them.
Actually the 6.5 Grendel is based off the 6.5PPC case. It is possible to make 6.5 Grendel brass out of the 7.62x39mm brass, but, because the 7.62x39 brass has a steeper taper, I would think you would have to fire form the brass in a 6.5 Grendel chamber to get the correct shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Lloyd - You might want to ask Dinny, he was really into reloading the Grendel, for his "mini" Howa.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Lloyd , I built one for my youngest daughter to hunt with . I shot it a lot . It is a huge improvement over the .223 as far as banging steel, it actually rocks the 3/4 steel plate we use for 300 yds. I use Sierra 120 Gamekings for deer and Matchkings for fun. The one deer I shot with it ran about 40 yds, shot him on the neck shoulder junction on the right side and it came out in the flank on the left side, range was about 100 yds +/-. I like it , I would place it squarely in the 250yd category for deer and or hogs. I use a Satern 24" barrel which makes it pretty heavy , but I don't do a lot of walking. Its not hard to make it run good , brass can be made from 7.62 x 39 but as mentioned before needs to be fireformed for best accuracy. It is an accurate round , shot 50 Matchkings working up a load and none of them went over an inch. Picked the most uniform one and went with it. I have chorono'd these and ended up with sd's in the single digits most of the time. Even had one load that the sd was 1. I like it , but am not a huge fan of AR's so it gets passed over a good bit. Now a little Ruger Pred in that might be more interesting but I need another gun like I need to be an astronaut. AR Comp is the only powder I've ever tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 PM

Gun Cabinet

If loading from 7.62 brass use RP as it provides the small primer pocket. (less brisance)
Then utilize a small rifle magnum primer.
I hunt with heavier bullets than most recommendations (140 gr.) 'cause here in the mountains we ain't shootin' far.
Here, I'm fitting a custom stainless forearm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.5 build xs.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	232346  

Think twice, shoot once...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:18 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
Lloyd - You might want to ask Dinny, he was really into reloading the Grendel, for his "mini" Howa.
Better late than never, right?

I would not mess with the labor and disappointment of making brass from x39 brass. Starline makes brass and MidwayUSA sells it reasonably. I have found the Grendel to be a well-mannered cartridge that feeds well in ARs and kills very well for 95% of all hunting I'll ever do.

I have spent countless hours reading its virtues on the 65grendel.com forum and watched almost all of Double Naught Spy's videos. He is a well established Grendel hunter and I value his knowledge.

https://youtu.be/NOy5JTWdPbw

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem

Last edited by dinny; 07-22-2019 at 11:20 PM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

so whats your recommended whitetail bullet and load if you don't mind Dinny? Ive got the lower built. Probably wont have the money for the upper till after chirstmas though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
Better late than never, right?

I would not mess with the labor and disappointment of making brass from x39 brass. Starline makes brass and MidwayUSA sells it reasonably. I have found the Grendel to be a well-mannered cartridge that feeds well in ARs and kills very well for 95% of all hunting I'll ever do.

I have spent countless hours reading its virtues on the 65grendel.com forum and watched almost all of Double Naught Spy's videos. He is a well established Grendel hunter and I value his knowledge.

https://youtu.be/NOy5JTWdPbw

Thanks, Dinny

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 AM

Gun Cabinet

Lloyd,
Right now I'm shooting the Federal Fusion 120gr factory ammo. If I have time to reload it will be either the 123gr AMAX or SST and about 28.5gr IMR XBR 8208.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Ive got ramshot exterminator and tac, 335 and wc846. Do you think 8208 is that much better that I should buy a keg? Have you killed any deer with those bullets or that factory stuff? Sorry for all the questions. I just don't have money to burn like I used to and shortcuts to success are appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
Lloyd,
Right now I'm shooting the Federal Fusion 120gr factory ammo. If I have time to reload it will be either the 123gr AMAX or SST and about 28.5gr IMR XBR 8208.

Thanks, Dinny

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

one more for you dinny. I know you do the 300bo too. I shot a number of deer this year with one of my bo's using 110 barnes bullets at 2400 fps at out to 200 yards and was very impressed with the results and the damage that bullet does even at 200 yards. Do you feel the Grendel is going to be a step up from by BO or am I spinning my wheels. Id really like to have the confidence to add 50 to a 100 yards to that range. A 200 yard gun does handicap me quite a bit and can only be used in some fields we shoot. But a 300 yard gun would be useable in most. I shoot deer every year out past 300 but not a lot of them and I could get by with a 300 yard limit.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Gun Cabinet

Lloyd,
H 335 and TAC could get you the accuracy you need too. I just know that XBR 8208 and CFE 223 are the top two performing powders. I've had better luck finding loads for 8208.

I have not killed anything with the Grendel yet but have alot of confidence in it getting the job done inside 400yds. There's no doubt it will shoot flatter than the 300BLK.

Thanks, Dinny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page