lets talk 6.5 grendel - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Noticed Academy had Hornady Black in 6.5 Grendel in stock yesterday if anyone cares.

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to justonemorear

I run the same powders I use for the .223
AR-Comp / IMR 3031 / Varget /H335
Found the setting depth had more for the accuracy in both my bolt and AR

When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:13 PM

I had almost got a grendel one day when I was in a local gun shop, but the need for a different bolt kept me from it. At around the same time, the .277 Wolverine was getting started, I liked the ballistics and after getting into 300 Blk, I decided this wildcat was just the ticket. Like the 300 Blk, the only difference is the barrel, the mag and bolt are 5.56 and of course you can make your own brass, though commercially available brass exists. I haven't harvested a deer with it yet, but plenty others have and it has been racking them up at greater distances than I normally need.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks for you help dinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
Lloyd,
H 335 and TAC could get you the accuracy you need too. I just know that XBR 8208 and CFE 223 are the top two performing powders. I've had better luck finding loads for 8208.

I have not killed anything with the Grendel yet but have alot of confidence in it getting the job done inside 400yds. There's no doubt it will shoot flatter than the 300BLK.

Thanks, Dinny

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 09:29 PM

I have one of each. (Bolt & AR). I shoot the bolt ALLOT more. But the AR is accurate and works well. I also have a 25/45 in a AR and I like it better IN A AR. Those two (mine) are identical.

Dinny harped and harped and I finally bought one. I do like it a aweful lot. Its a real real good shooter.

The Grendel has nearly an identical trajectory as the 308 Winchester. I dont really feel its a four hundred yard caliber, I like a lil More power for that but 250 is easy.
I was in black out land and argued it was too close to switch. But pretty quickly saw that the BO ended its efficient killability before 150. Just looking at paper numbers the Grendel has 3-400 fpe on the BO. So I bought one.

There is a very very good lil two book set that anyone who is a reloader and likes the grendel will find very informative and useful.

http://shootersnotes.com/articles/6-...ders-handbook/

Enjoy. Its easy on the shoulder and efficient killer.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. The 300 bo is my favorite ar round and probably allways will be. Second is the 9mm. Both because there cheap to shoot because cast works great in them and brass is everywhere cheap. As to mags. Ive got 3 bo's I started with 556 mags and found they just don't hack it. One man might work in one gun but give problems in another. its why pmag and a couple others have come out with dedicated 300 bo mags. They work and work in all three of my guns with ANY load. So that advantage over the 6.5 isn't really there. A bolt. 30 bucks and your all set. About the price of 30 rounds of 6.5. Where the expense come for me is first and mostly the cost of brass. Second is I consider it more of a hunting gun so I wont probably fool with cast bullets so its going to be costly to shoot even handloading. Wildcats might out do the 6.5 but anymore I don't fool with them. Im over 60 and on the downward trip to the box and don't buy guns that when im gone my grandkids wont be able to find ammo for. So for right now anyway in a ar15 sized gun the 6.5 Grendel is about as good as it gets for longer range deer hunting. What id like to see is a 300 bo improved. Just blow it out a bit so a guy could get 2700 fps our of a 110 grain bullet and youd have a 250 savage level ar15 and although it means nothing to me the sub sonic guys would still have a short round to seat the heavys out in. 300 super would be ideal if it would catch on and become a commercial round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
I had almost got a grendel one day when I was in a local gun shop, but the need for a different bolt kept me from it. At around the same time, the .277 Wolverine was getting started, I liked the ballistics and after getting into 300 Blk, I decided this wildcat was just the ticket. Like the 300 Blk, the only difference is the barrel, the mag and bolt are 5.56 and of course you can make your own brass, though commercially available brass exists. I haven't harvested a deer with it yet, but plenty others have and it has been racking them up at greater distances than I normally need.

Last edited by lloyd smale; 10-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
Don't get me wrong. The 300 bo is my favorite ar round and probably allways will be. Second is the 9mm. Both because there cheap to shoot because cast works great in them and brass is everywhere cheap. As to mags. Ive got 3 bo's I started with 556 mags and found they just don't hack it. One man might work in one gun but give problems in another. its why pmag and a couple others have come out with dedicated 300 bo mags. They work and work in all three of my guns with ANY load. So that advantage over the 6.5 isn't really there. A bolt. 30 bucks and your all set. About the price of 30 rounds of 6.5. Where the expense come for me is first and mostly the cost of brass. Second is I consider it more of a hunting gun so I wont probably fool with cast bullets so its going to be costly to shoot even handloading. Wildcats might out do the 6.5 but anymore I don't fool with them. Im over 60 and on the downward trip to the box and don't buy guns that when im gone my grandkids wont be able to find ammo for. So for right now anyway in a ar15 sized gun the 6.5 Grendel is about as good as it gets for longer range deer hunting. What id like to see is a 300 bo improved. Just blow it out a bit so a guy could get 2700 fps our of a 110 grain bullet and youd have a 250 savage level ar15 and although it means nothing to me the sub sonic guys would still have a short round to seat the heavys out in. 300 super would be ideal if it would catch on and become a commercial round.
Yea, I get that, and I find myself thinking about reducing my calibers...then I find another. I would like to say what ever new caliber I get fills a niche, but anymore that is not the case. When I come across a caliber I don't have, and it's a good price, I jump on it. Sometimes it's the platform, take the .308, it wasn't until about 05' when I got my first one, having been a .270 fan for hunting (still am), but I found a Rem 700 at a decent price so I went there. Now I have a Browning Lever, a Rem 700 Tactical, and a H&R single shot, to go along with the hunting rifle but no AR. The .277 was just a continuation of the 300 Blk, I already had the equipment to cut the brass, and dies were available so it was a no brainer. ARs are fun, and besides the 9mm, I think I am done expanding my caliber acquisition, well OK, if I come across a decently priced AR10 then maybe one more

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Get yourself a 9mm for sure. Ive got a 16 inch and a 4.5 inch ar in 9mm. There a ball to shoot and can be shot for not much more then buying 22lr shells if you cast your own bullets. My 4.5 fits nicely in a ruger 1022 take down case with 5 mags and is strapped to the roll bar in my jeep jk.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:53 PM

I had one and liked it but with the cost of 6.5 jacketed bullets nowadays I wouldn't shoot it enough to keep it. My wife has a .250 Savage bolt action if I need to scratch that ballistic ballpark itch. A friend who doesn't reload loves his and has slain several deer and hogs drama free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

yup that's where the bo really shines. I can load 130 cast bullets pc coated to jacketed velocitys and shoot it cheaper than any ar short of a pistol caliber ar. My main reason for getting my first blackout was I was getting tired of dropping 3 or 400 bucks a year on bullets for a 556. But now I have the bo to scratch the shoot a 500 rounds in a day itch. So I build a couple dedicated hunting ars. A 308 and this not yet done 6.5. I wont shoot the snot out of them. they will probably be used 95 percent of the time with a 5 or 10 round mag. I will work up a load for hunting. Load up about a 1000 and be done with it. At least for a good long time. Ive got a couple bolt 250s myself and love them. My ideal ar for hunting would mimic a 250 or as close as possible. But where those bolt guns lack is I can kill deer with a gun I built myself. Not something I bought at a gunshop. Its like shooting deer with your handloads or shooting pistols with handloads using your own cast bullets. Its just different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushcreek View Post
I had one and liked it but with the cost of 6.5 jacketed bullets nowadays I wouldn't shoot it enough to keep it. My wife has a .250 Savage bolt action if I need to scratch that ballistic ballpark itch. A friend who doesn't reload loves his and has slain several deer and hogs drama free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page