lets talk 6.5 grendel - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Default lets talk 6.5 grendel

Now to me this one makes sense. It actually fits in an ar15. Seems like it would make one into a decent 200 deer rifle. Anyone shooting one or hunting with one? Do they run well in an ar15 or are they finiky like a 762x39 ar15? Any kill experience? I know its based off the same case. Can brass be easily made out of 762x39? Don't need a bunch of magic bullet 6.5 koolaid opinions. Ive hunted with 6.5 rounds for 30 years and never found any mystical magic in them.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Yes, it is excellent up to 200 yrds. Fairly flat trajectory. Easy to reload.
Good energy retention and that makes it a lot much better than the .223 for hunting deer size game.
Easy to achieve great precision.
The only con I see is that high quality commercial ammo is expensive (around $1/round).
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to justonemorear

They run very well thru the AR platform, no feed issues and mag issues like the 39's( lots of the trouble from tight mag radius/ coated steel rounds) and as for reloading you can form it from the brass.
I'm working on loads in 120gr using powders I currently use for the .223 (ARComp and IMR3031) for a 300yd zero rifle. You can go as high as 140gr for a 200yd gun and maintain shots well pasted 400yds.
If you already reload then it is cost effective to do so but if not buy loaded and keep your brass.
Built a few AR platformed (100's if not 1000's as that was part of my old job) for others and just did one recently for myself in a bolt for a lite truck rifle.
Biggest thing is to decide on OAL of your barrel as this will cause a major drop from your zero on long shots (over 500yds)
Go to Alexander Arms web page and look at the ballistic page for bullet weight and barrel length.
16" should be fine for a 200yd zero gun.

When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonemorear View Post
They run very well thru the AR platform, no feed issues and mag issues like the 39's( lots of the trouble from tight mag radius/ coated steel rounds) and as for reloading you can form it from the brass.
I'm working on loads in 120gr using powders I currently use for the .223 (ARComp and IMR3031) for a 300yd zero rifle. You can go as high as 140gr for a 200yd gun and maintain shots well pasted 400yds.
If you already reload then it is cost effective to do so but if not buy loaded and keep your brass.
Built a few AR platformed (100's if not 1000's as that was part of my old job) for others and just did one recently for myself in a bolt for a lite truck rifle.
Biggest thing is to decide on OAL of your barrel as this will cause a major drop from your zero on long shots (over 500yds)
Go to Alexander Arms web page and look at the ballistic page for bullet weight and barrel length.
16" should be fine for a 200yd zero gun.
thanks for some real world knowledge and no bs mystical flight of the 6.5 bullet.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparedes View Post
The only con I see is that high quality commercial ammo is expensive (around $1/round).

Cheap commercial ammo for other deer cartridges are $1 per round or more. That really isn't expensive relatively. I have seen .223 at $20 per 20 rounds more than once in stores.

I agree it is quite expensive if you are used to roll your own prices. Guessing maybe 40 cent per round to custom load yourself.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
Cheap commercial ammo for other deer cartridges are $1 per round or more. That really isn't expensive relatively. I have seen .223 at $20 per 20 rounds more than once in stores.

I agree it is quite expensive if you are used to roll your own prices. Guessing maybe 40 cent per round to custom load yourself.

Rosewood
Yes $.40 per rd is reasonable if you are already setup but a lot of the projectiles are now well over $.30ea, primers are $25+ per thousand and powders are well over $25lb pushing it to the $ .80 -$1.00 per rd w/o taking in the cost of brass

That's why I never stop hunting down components.

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM

I figured .30 cent per bullet, .04 cent per primer, .17 cent for powder and reused brass, so that does put it a bit higher than my initial calculation at about .50-.60 cent per round.

But yes, you have to already be set up. Dies for instance, if you go with Lee are the cost of 2 boxes of factory fodder, so it makes up for it self in a hurry if you already have a press.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Lloyd a friend of mine built a grendel last year, it’s pretty flat shooting. I think it would make a good white tail rifle, it doesn’t buck the wind as well as the creedmor but I prefer cartridges that fit and AR15
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 PM

I saw wolf steel ammo for about $6 per 20 but the range here doesn't allow steel bullets as they had a fire from one that sparked off the iron target.

When I build an AR I think I will go with the Grendel for hunting. 223 isn't legal for big game here and 300 bo is too short ranged for the country side I can hunt.

A friend of mine built a back country AR in 6.5 G that weighed just over 3 lbs! Plastic and carbon fiber everywhere. Tiny thin barrel.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
I saw wolf steel ammo for about $6 per 20 but the range here doesn't allow steel bullets as they had a fire from one that sparked off the iron target.

When I build an AR I think I will go with the Grendel for hunting. 223 isn't legal for big game here and 300 bo is too short ranged for the country side I can hunt.

A friend of mine built a back country AR in 6.5 G that weighed just over 3 lbs! Plastic and carbon fiber everywhere. Tiny thin barrel.
The steel is the casing not the projectile, Wolf ammo is good quality but the Wolf Gold is on par w/ Hornady (same as the TAP when using .223 caliber)

Blackout is overrated unless you are looking to suppress, similar to the 300 whisper, if not the Grendel look at the 6.8SPC, great out to 350yds(similar ballistics to 308)

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page