6.5x55 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Default 6.5x55

In a weak moment I ordered a CZ 557 carbine in a 6.5x55. It has a 20.5" barrel that I was looking for. I found out that this carbine model was discontinued last year. It is new in the box. Any one with experience or thoughts about this model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM

if i'm not mistaken that's the model they have in 7.62x39 which I have always wanted. I think they are a great little rifle you should be very happy. That uses a clip as I remember you may want to get a second one, I think it has a unique scope mount too. That's a good caliber I have a Swedish mauser carbine in that cal.

mike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:45 PM

I had a CZ550 Carbine in a 6.5X55 and a 9.3X62 I still have on hand. The Carbine was a "shooter", but just a tad heavy if you put too big a scope on it. I've read a couple of reviews of the 557 and I would expect yours to be a bit lighter than the 550, since it comes with a "sporter" stock. My 550 had the same length barrel as yours with iron sights, but a heavier "Mannlicher" stock. The 550 also had a "control feed" action as opposed to your "push feed". While many "Purist" prefer the control feed feature, yours will more than likely be the smoothest "feed" of the two. You'll have to keep us advised of your rifle's weight, finish, and accuracy! Congrats on your purchase.

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

I shot my CZ 557 6.5x55 carbine yesterday. I mounted a Leupold scope on top. While looking at the target sheet that they give you of the gun's shooting, I noticed that they used Sellier and Bellot Czech ammo. I bought some of this ammo at around $12 a box. Well, the gun has nice wood, a great trigger and shoots that ammo very well. At 50 yards sand bagged, I shot a 5 shot group into one jagged hole. I took out the Lead Sled and moved to 100 yards and again shot a 5 shot group into one jagged hole. I estimate that it was about a 1/3 inch group. I have been a hand loader for nearly 50 years and am thinking, why hand load for this gun? The ammo was 131 gr. SP which is good for whitetail, but I prefer other bullets so I will hand load. Nice to know that a cheap ammo shoots so well. This is my first CZ rifle having purchased CZ shotguns. This gun has been discontinued, but is exactly what I wanted. I think that there still some new in box of this gun out there. I have many rifles from different manufactures, and this CZ I think will become one of my favorites even though it is only a fraction of the cost of some of my rifles.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Congrats on a fine rifle, I have hunted with a 6.5x55 for nearly 35 years, built over 100 of them as gunsmith the last 35+years. I have done extensive load development, trial and error, and using Qwik load software. The one powder that stands above all, is IMR 3031. I have loads that shoot around .300 groups at 100yds, with 85, 120, and 140gr bullets. Pm me if interested, will save you a lot of trial and error. I took my longest shot on a deer this past season, at 510 yds, angled forward, with a 120 Sierra, running around 3000fps. The bullet entered between the last two ribs, angled forward thru the vitals, and blew thru the right front leg, nearly blowing it off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Oldloader: Far too many people underestimate the Sellier and Bellot ammunition. It is not cheap ammo, it is just a bunch less expensive than the American garbage sold for European rifles and calibers. I use S&B ammo for all my European calibers and of those the 6.5 Swede and the 8 mm Mauser are my favorites.

My 6.5 Swede is a Husqvarna made sporterized M38 and shoots snake eyes (two touching) at 150 yds. Favorite loads are the 131 soft nose and the 140 gn mil-spec. I can not load more accurate ammo than the S&B and only load the 8 mm for the heck of it.

S&B ammo is made to the original European specifications, which is why it is so accurate in European made or caliber rifles (and pistols). I won't waste my money on American made ammo for my European calibers. Have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page