358 Win Joy and Happiness! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default 358 Win Joy and Happiness!

My rifle is a 22" Winchester Model 70 EW rebored from .308 Win by JES. 1:12" twist and 3 grooves. All speeds were measured with a Magnetospeed chrono.

225gr Sierra SBT-GK with 49gr TAC produced 2442fps
200gr Barnes TSX with 52gr TAC produced 2580fps
180gr Barnes TTSX with 54gr TAC produced 2681fps
250gr Hornady RN with 48gr TAC produced 2290fps

With the exception of the Barnes TTSX load listed above all the loads produced sub-sub moa accuracy at 50yds, which is where I test my loads for accuracy before taking them out to 100yds. The most accurate load for the 180gr TTSX was 53.5gr of TAC which produced 2669fps.

I loaded 10 of each load above. 5 were tested for accuracy and 5 were tested for speed. I don't perform both tasks at the same time as there is usually a POI change with the chrono attached to the barrel.

- - - - - - -

I also shot ladder loads with my 35 Rem chambered Rem Model 7 today. Interesting note: I achieved more than satisfactory accuracy and 2175fps using LVR powder and the Speer 220gr HCFN.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Gun Cabinet

Your rifle sounds great and your results are impressive. I sold a SS Hawkeye in .358 last year and I'm down to only one .358 now (steel receiver BLR) and I'm wanting another nice bolt rifle in .358. I've pretty much decided on a newer M70 SG in .308 that I own, sent to JES for rebore. I couldn't decide on 1 in 10 or 1 in 12, but your results look like a 1 in 12 should work fine, as I also own a .350RM, two 9.3x62s and a Whelen for heavier bullets any bigger. I'll look to the 225gr sierra as a standard load having had excellent success with my Hawkeye and that bullet on a Maine bear in '15. The 180gr TTSX would be my choice as a medium range deer load.

Thanks again for your informative posting. I'll hope to see some further 100 yard information from you as well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:50 PM

I love My 358 Win shooting 225grn GK's

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:46 PM

Love the Hornady 250 RN, very capable bullet at that velocity. Another bullet I got to test that was awesome is the 225 Woodleigh RN. Excellent bullet. I bought my first 358 Win so I could use RN bullets and at the time before Remington went nuts on their component prices I shot a lot of 200 gr RNCL's, another excellent bullet. Got a picture of your new shootin iron?

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:50 AM

The 358 Win is near & dear. It was the very first “hipower” hunting rifle I ever bought. Browning BLR.

I picked up the last Grice 358 RUGER American some months back. Traded off my H&R 356/358 for it. Super happy!

Dinny convinced me to try TAP when my 4320/4895/3031 loads didn’t make the grade. WOW!! 49 seemed stiff when most manuals stop at 46 ish.
But I started low and sure enough good nodes found 48.5 & 49g. But I will say this is a LOUD powder! Sharp crack report.

Acc in a brand new in broken in RUGER American is honest 1” hundred yards.

My bullet is the excellent Sierra SGK.

I too and deep in 35 hunting rifles. So much diff bullets mean diff rifles.

This one gets dedicated TAC & SGK’s!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:28 AM

I have tested the 225 sierra out of my 358 and I will honestly say for me it out performs the 225 nosler partition. I know people will call me on this but I shoot both and the sierra is my top choice. If I only had one bullet for the 358 to use on everything/anything it would be the 200gr barnes ttsx but for the price and performance on game its the 225 sierra. If anyone questions this just shoot the 225 partition in some water jugs and then the sierra. I'm not going to argue here just sharing my findings. I have read on several forums how the sierra should be the practice round and the partition for hunting but not from my testing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:36 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Several years ago I had JES rebore a model 70 compact featherweight to 358 Winny. When you rebore a featherweight the hole takes up most of the barrel. In spite of the thin barrel walls I shot those same John Barsness loads with TAC (I used IMR 3031 prior to TAC) and the 20 inch skinny barrel loved them. I did the math on it once and 20 inches was enough volume for a clean burn without loss in velocity in the 358. I killed a moose in Newfoundland with that gun and a few deer in the Midwest. I loved that rifle however in a blink I had 13 grandkids so I traded my expensive hunts for 22 rifles, bird guns and deer rifles for which ever grandkid was next inline. I recently parted ways with dies and all of the left over 358 Winchester stuff. So I won't be returning to that round in this lifetime. However if I were a young man living where bottleneck cartridges are legal method of take and could only have one rifle it would be a 358 Winchester. The heavy loads will kill anything that walks and some Trail Boss and a hard cast 118 grain gas checked bullet make a great squirrel gun.

Over the years we have seen lots of different rifle cartridges come and go. Some were destined to fail from the onset however why the 358 Winchester didn't catch on is beyond me. Federal Cartridge Company even tried to bring the 338
Federal to the forefront and it failed. it was the same exact round necked down to 338 and the pressure jacked up a bit for the purpose of marketing hype. Both the 338 Fed and the 358 Winchester are excellent rounds.

One time ago I was asked to fill a 30 minute time slot at an outdoor show in Des Moines and give a seminar on hunting rifles. So my topic was the perfect 4 gun rifle battery for hunting North America. I went with a 22 rifle for pot meat then the next three rifle cartridges were 243 , 308 and 358 Winchester(the rifles that I took all happened to be model 70 Featherweights, cuz there are none better). I got some poo pooing from the magnum nuts in the crowd however my answer was simple. I told them that I am more hunter than shooter and stalking to within 300 yards of any game animal is not that hard. Shooting from one mountain top to another is exhibition shooting and should be done at targets and not game animals.

Sorry I wandered a bit Dinny but I can't help it when the topic is 358 Winchester.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Good experience to share, thank you GPA

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
Several years ago I had JES rebore a model 70 compact featherweight to 358 Winny. When you rebore a featherweight the hole takes up most of the barrel. In spite of the thin barrel walls I shot those same John Barsness loads with TAC (I used IMR 3031 prior to TAC) and the 20 inch skinny barrel loved them. I did the math on it once and 20 inches was enough volume for a clean burn without loss in velocity in the 358. I killed a moose in Newfoundland with that gun and a few deer in the Midwest. I loved that rifle however in a blink I had 13 grandkids so I traded my expensive hunts for 22 rifles, bird guns and deer rifles for which ever grandkid was next inline. I recently parted ways with dies and all of the left over 358 Winchester stuff. So I won't be returning to that round in this lifetime. However if I were a young man living where bottleneck cartridges are legal method of take and could only have one rifle it would be a 358 Winchester. The heavy loads will kill anything that walks and some Trail Boss and a hard cast 118 grain gas checked bullet make a great squirrel gun.

Over the years we have seen lots of different rifle cartridges come and go. Some were destined to fail from the onset however why the 358 Winchester didn't catch on is beyond me. Federal Cartridge Company even tried to bring the 338
Federal to the forefront and it failed. it was the same exact round necked down to 338 and the pressure jacked up a bit for the purpose of marketing hype. Both the 338 Fed and the 358 Winchester are excellent rounds.

One time ago I was asked to fill a 30 minute time slot at an outdoor show in Des Moines and give a seminar on hunting rifles. So my topic was the perfect 4 gun rifle battery for hunting North America. I went with a 22 rifle for pot meat then the next three rifle cartridges were 243 , 308 and 358 Winchester(the rifles that I took all happened to be model 70 Featherweights, cuz there are none better). I got some poo pooing from the magnum nuts in the crowd however my answer was simple. I told them that I am more hunter than shooter and stalking to within 300 yards of any game animal is not that hard. Shooting from one mountain top to another is exhibition shooting and should be done at targets and not game animals.

Sorry I wandered a bit Dinny but I can't help it when the topic is 358 Winchester.
Great post!

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page