New toy in the house - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Default New toy in the house

Yesterday afternoon I ran across something I have had a little lust for for years but that I never happened to run across in any of the gun shops I go to. I went to the LGS yesterday to renew my gun club membership for this year which didn't happen because the gate lock hasn't been changed and the new keys distributed to the area gun shops yet. The owner and I are old friends and we were visiting when I spied a lever action in the rack behind the counter that looked a bit different than the 30-30 lever gun he usually has up there and asked him about it. It was a new Rossi 92 carbine in 357/38 special, my low level lust gun. It came home with me.

I intended to drive out to BLM land under the cap this afternoon and break it in a little. Well, I have a puny wife today so I'm staying home and watching over her. She's much more important than shooting a new gun. I'll get it done when she's feeling better and will most likely want to go with me.

Last edited by oldandslow; 01-05-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM

I hope yours does better than the one I had. Mine was the big lever 16" barrel version. Nice looking, sweet carrying gun, but shot very high. Even with the sight elevator removed it shot 8" high at 25 yards. Appearantly its a very common thing. Check out Steve Gunz for all things 92. https://stevesgunz.com/

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I finally made it to the range with my new toy today. Some things were great but it has a couple of warts. First it is dead on at 25 yards with the rear sight in the lowest notch so that good. It shoots round nosed lead 38 special with out a hiccup. All the 357 ammo I had was hollow point and that's a major wart as it will not feed it. The nose hangs up but with some lever jiggling you can eventually get the round chambered and it's easy to load it single shot. Loading the tube is difficult as the magazine spring is very strong. I'm not really upset about the 357 as I can probably find a bullet to fix that problem plus I really intended for this to be a 38 special shooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

deleted

Last edited by oldandslow; 01-15-2020 at 11:14 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Are you working the lever like you mean it? They all are intended to be worked vigorously but some need it more so than others. My Rossi .357 is smooth and so long as I work the lever vigorously it doesn't seem to bobble with anything I've fed it so far. I will say that in my lever gun experience they generally speaking don't care for semiwadcutter bullets. That seems to apply to all of them I've owned.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Yes I am but it stops dead in about the middle of the up stoke on the HP 357. Then you can wiggle the lever back and forth a little and the round will work it way up and chamber. Removing a round when it first stops shows a skinned place on the nose of the bullet where it hangs on the top. I tried this with the round nose lead 38 special and it shows a small bright spot also but it doesn't impede anything.

I'm going to load up a few semi-wad cutters of each caliber to try out of curiosity. I can always shoot them in a handgun if they don't work in this rifle. I'm also going to try some full wad cutters that I have loaded. I feel like these would really put the whop on anything up through coyotes at fairly close range if the rifle will feed them

There is one other wart. The front sight has a gold bead and I can't see it very well. It's now blackened with a magic marker and I'll see how that works. I supposed it's my tone blindness at work.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 PM

I had a rossi 357 and a 480 and both ran great with cast and jacketed. But like most lever guns a few bullets just wont work in some. I shot mostly cast in mine but mine ran xtps fine and that was the most accurate bullet in it. pushed by max loads of 110 it basically shot one ragged hole at 50 yards. Id bet with a scope it would have shot moa or close to it at a 100. It did have problems with jacketed bullets like gold dots and rem soft points that were more blunt. Only bad thing I could say is the 480 stock would blead brown crap on my face if it was hot and I was sweating. By the way that 357 was hands down more accurate then the win trapper and the two 94 marlins ive owned.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 01-15-2020 at 12:14 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have a warm spot for the Rossi 92s. I had a 357 and it fed the best with round nose cowboy bullets. It was my frog gun for several years. You land a 158 grain round nose within 6 inches of a bullfrog and the concussion alone made em go belly up. I ate a lot of frog legs thanks to that Rossi.

The bullet that I really like was made by Magnus Bullet Co. I used 5 grains of Titegroup for around 1200 fps.

Mine was one of the early ones without the toggle switch safety but it had the wrong front sight from the factory and I had to get a taller one from Brownells and then file it down to fit the odd sized dovetail of that older Rossi. They actually make them to fit the Rossi dovetail now-a-day.

They are a fun gun!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips. Iím going to bookmark this page so itís easy to refer to for the ammo information.

Skinner makes a front sight especially for the Rossi. I expect itís the same quality as his regular front sight which is a good one. Iím considering a rear peep sight. They are much more precision, especially with old eyes which mine are. I really like tang sights but canít make up my mind that I want one on this little short rifle. There are two available that fit in the dove tail slot for the rear sight. I tried one of these from Skinner on my Henry and although itís well made I find it covers up more of the target than the semi-buckhorn sight. It sits on a shelf because they wouldnít accept a return. There is also one that replaces the safety and that might be an option. Decisions, decisions, whatíll be?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Did an experiment with the Rossi late this afternoon. If it's 38 special it works. Round nose, semi-wad cutter, or wad cutter, it's good. I didn't have any hollow points to try so I'll have to see about those. It will feed wad cutters loaded in 357 case but it's fiddley. If you work the lever fast it just flips the round out on the ground. Lower the lever rather gently and that doesn't happen but it's doesn't feed smoothly into the chamber. It hangs and then goes on in. I don't see any reason to mess with wad cutters in 357 cases anyway so I'll just forget them and stick with 38 specials. It will be mostly a can and gong killer but it does fit nicely in the jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page