Sighting in my Rossi 92 - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 11:36 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I have wanted a Rossi 92 in 357 for a couple of years now. ... I'm having a hard time deciding between the 16 and 20 inch barrels.
I bought a "Trapper," 16 inch, 92 several years ago. Killed 2 meat bucks 2 years in a row with it. The pics and write ups and my stated bullet preference are on the forum somewhere.

It's a great, fun little gun. With a scout scope mounted to help my soon to be 75 year old eyes, it's wonderfully accurate and like you say, will handle anything I'll ever hunt anymore...

And I'm glad I got the 16" version. Even though my hunting partner said "you picked that one before it was grown!"

I also have the 24" 44 Mag style but I would still like a 20" carbine in 45 Colt. I want it in the 45 because could load rounds for the 92 hotter, if I wanted to, then I can for my 45 Colt M73 Sporting rifle.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 02:05 PM

I have been on the look out for a 454 for decades...

Last summer I was offered a Rossi for a local dealer. The offer was TOO good to turn down. The gun is a longer version and blued RIFLE in 45 COLT not the shorter Carbine Stainless 454 I was hoping for.

It was brand new, but over ten years old. (Hence the deal) This guy is 98% a shotgun store. Meaning you will find Parker’s LC Smiths, Greeners, Winchester’s Brownings countless others and not a single “blk gun”. Even his hand gun supply is thin and of that it’s 90% revolvers and 10% 1911’s. Hahaha

Good reloading supply and the man has forgotten more about shotguns than many combined. Plus a real nice guy and a friend of mine.

Any how... This gun was pretty smooth as I have read of the roughness some see.

A good video on utube went ove rthe tricky spots and in about one hour no cussing and no lost parts my action was as nice as any new Marlin or Winchester. But not as smooth as a loved and caressed sunny ‘92. 😉

Sites suk! But I found a good replacement set in my pets boxes. Sun shoot my cast and powder coated Lyman 454424 and Unique very well! That long 24” Bbl also almost hits 1100 FPS!!

I really like it! Nice bluing dark dark stain on the stocks.

The sites made a huge difference in my ability to shoot this well. The dove tips are *******. I modified the sites to fit. Bedded them in loc tite too.

Good luck

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 03:23 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

CW you can load that 92 45 Colt so close to 454 numbers that the difference is little using Starline brass. Paco Kelly did a good write up on it on his Lever guns.com website. There was another good write up for hot 45 Colt lever guns in Gunblast a few years ago. I can't remember whether that was Paco or Chuck Hawks.

Basically the Rossi 44 mag and 45 Colt are the same gun and can handle the same pressure. Starline poo poos the idea that 45 Colt brass is not strong enough to handle those +P+ pressures. I know I sure shot a lot of them with no mortise set back or anything. The steel butt plate sure isn't very forgiving though.

I will be moving to a cabin in the toolies in a matter of a few months so 1 caliber 357 is my target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 04:30 PM

Been there done that! Yup. I know it’s strong. So are my Marlin 45 Colts. 😉

Before I was a 35 caliber nut... I was hunting and shooting a Black Hawk 45 Colt and Contender 10” & 14” 45 Colt a 20” and 24” Marlin 45 Colt.

Shot the hand guns in silhouette matches. Hunted with the Black Hawk and Marlins.

These where in the days before the XTP bullet line. The Speer 260 hp was a favorite. The Speer 300g copper flashed SP worked very well too! Later the 300xtp proved its worth. Only used the lighter weights a coupleTimes. 23g 296 got them along NICELY!
Then I bought a Colt model P and another and another... I greatly feared one of these loads finding its way into one of there cylinders... So I bought a Freedom Arms and rechambered a H&R to 454. Now no worries and no more heavy 45 COLT loads!!

Ahh those memories.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Got a 92 in 357 and it is a sweetheart. I had problems with it but then went to Stevesgunz for a video on disassembly and modification and now no more problems. Absolutely slicker than snot and she shoots everything I can put through it.
I have not yet sighted it for distance. She shoots dead on without windage adjustment but I wonder if the elevation is in 50 yard ranges or less. I figure that with four elevation notches she should hit at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yds but haven't gotten out there yet. Any suggestions or insights other than 'go shoot the thing and find out for yourself?? I've shot metallic handgun silhouette out to 200 yds with a 4" revolver in 357 so I know how 357 rounds hit at those distances but just don't know about the sight ladder on the 92, yet. Anyone with any experience ?? Thanks.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

I have t seen them quite that precise...

But shoot n see that’s all the fun anyhow!

CW

NRA LIFE Member

GOD BLESS AMERICA

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 10:33 AM

I got it to the range yesterday and found the lowest setting to be dead nuts on at 25 yds, point of aim is point of impact and honestly, the dang thing is pretty darn accurate. With the increase in point of impact with the sight ladder being raised it looks like each step up is good for anther 25 yds for maybe out to 250 yds total. I won't be shooting bullseye with it but I could sure hit steel without problem. Jacketed 357 ammo isn't too shabby for groups but cast loads using .358 diameter slugs are just the ticket. Now I'm having fun with it and I'm not even picking up my empty brass on accounta they have all been reloaded about 20 or 30 or so times and some of these were from that short lot Remington produced about 40-50 years ago where the overall case length was halfway twixt a 38 Spl and the 357. Glad to see those go, finally. And I have to tell ya all who have these Rossi 92s that if you have any sort of a problem with it then you simply have to go to Stevesgunz.com and get his video on disassembly and modification, it is very well worth it. I can tell you that mine is so smooth and slick that I could 'do a Rifleman' with it... Just sayin' ...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 11:59 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

I shoot mostly just TC Contenders, Forget the hinge pin or forend screws, And see what you call yourself then, I thought the kids in elementary school were mean....., The ride home from the range is very silent. Would of rather forgot the ammo
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLB View Post
I usually remember the ammo but have forgot to take targets and the gun rest several times.

The targets, gun rest, chronograph and spare ear muffs stay in my truck tool box. I keep my electronic muffs in the range bag. I did forget my ammo can one time.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 01:24 PM

I have the Puma .454. I mostly loaded up hot loads in 45 colt brass. Well approaching 454 pressures, never blew a case. The chamber holds the pressure, the brass is merely a gas seal. The .454 appears to be virtually the same as the .45 colt in the Puma. The only thing different is the .454 has both screw out tube feed and side gate. They should make all lever guns that way. And it came with a rubber recoil pad.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page