Sighting in my Rossi 92 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Default Sighting in my Rossi 92

Friday was a beautiful day, warm and little to no wind. One of those rare jewels of a day for this time of year here and perfect for sighting in a rifle. I put a Marble's tang sight on my rifle and was just waiting on a day like this when I wasn't committed to doing something else except for some things in town in the early morning. After finishing up my business I gathered up stuff and headed to the local gun club where I'm a member. I included a couple of 22 handguns just to play with a little and away I went. There was talk last summer about new range tables but nothing ever happened and I figured it was like most other projects that get talked about and then take two to three years to materialize. I got a big surprise when I pulled up to the rifle range and found 14 new tables with concrete tops and mounted on sturdy steel frames bolted to the concrete floor. Nice.

I got all set up and found that I had forgotten the ammo for my rifle. I did play with the 22 pistols for awhile after having a discussion with myself about being a forgetful old fart. I guess it's time to make a list to check before I go to make sure I have everything needed on future trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Post-it notes are your friend! :-)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:53 AM
WLB

I usually remember the ammo but have forgot to take targets and the gun rest several times. S&B 158 grain ammo does really well in my 92.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:55 AM

oldandslow, If it makes you feel any better I carried my trusty old deer rifle for first 11 days of the season without a round in the chamber. Had 4 rounds in the mag, but I never pumped one into the chamber. On day 11, I decided to take a big doe right behind my house. When she stepped into the shooting lane/4 wheeler path at 30 yards, I squeezed the trigger.....nothing!!!!!!! Just sat there in disbelief as I watched the old doe trot off.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I got the sighting in done today. I loaded the ammo before the rifle this time. I also learned that light little rifle has some thump on the back end when shot with 125 grain HPs in front of 22 grains of WW296 off a bench rest. It really makes the dirt fly from the berm behind the target board too. My rebuilt shoulder is a bit tender now.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 04:09 PM

I forget the hearing protection usually. What did you say?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:04 AM

What?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

I made it back to the range with the rifle again yesterday. I loaded the ammo before the rifle. I got very little done as two friends stopped by before I even got set up and wanted to talk. One went on about his business fairly quickly but the other one is a motor mouth. After he left me to shoot the range had filled up and some were those that shoot a couple of rounds and have to walk down to to their target to see where they hit. I finally got to shoot a bit and found that 125 grain Hornady HPs over 22 grains of WW 296 (max load) are pretty accurate along with a pip-squeek load with 158 grain lead SWCs is equally as accurate. I gave up and left after that as I was mostly sitting watching people walk down range and back. I'll go earlier in the morning on my nest trip. I hope to do better next time. I wasn't using the best target for iron sights I quickly found out plus the range got new benches that are not user friendly. I have a fix for the bench and just have to get it made and have better targets already.

This morning I'm watching it rain and it's supposed to continue thru tonight. I'm going to make up some of those pip-squeek loads. They are very user friendly and should do great on jackrabbits.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 10:55 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Post-it notes are your friend! :-)
Yeah but where did I put that darned post-it note!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 11:08 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
I made it back to the range with the rifle again yesterday. I loaded the ammo before the rifle. I got very little done as two friends stopped by before I even got set up and wanted to talk. One went on about his business fairly quickly but the other one is a motor mouth. After he left me to shoot the range had filled up and some were those that shoot a couple of rounds and have to walk down to to their target to see where they hit. I finally got to shoot a bit and found that 125 grain Hornady HPs over 22 grains of WW 296 (max load) are pretty accurate along with a pip-squeek load with 158 grain lead SWCs is equally as accurate. I gave up and left after that as I was mostly sitting watching people walk down range and back. I'll go earlier in the morning on my nest trip. I hope to do better next time. I wasn't using the best target for iron sights I quickly found out plus the range got new benches that are not user friendly. I have a fix for the bench and just have to get it made and have better targets already.

This morning I'm watching it rain and it's supposed to continue thru tonight. I'm going to make up some of those pip-squeek loads. They are very user friendly and should do great on jackrabbits.
You are egging me on oldandslow: I have wanted a Rossi 92 in 357 for a couple of years now. I have had them in 44 mag, 45 Colt and even a 454 Casull but since I am way heavy on 357 loading components and the Rossi in 357 will kill anything that I need to shoot so it just makes sense. Besides there is nothing cooler than a little lever gun hanging over the back door.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 16 and 20 inch barrels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page