Paul Harrell is correct.. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Default Paul Harrell is correct..

. Paul is totally correct,; with all the newer, super hot rounds, people tend to overlook the good old 30/30...

The 30/30 lever action, still near the top of the list for woodlands hunting !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:49 AM

watched the first 2 minutes and figured it out. Just another guy looking for web site contributions. Ill have to check back with him when im going soda bottle or pumpkin hunting. Bottom line is a 223 would do the same to them. Wonder how many deer hes actually killed with that 3030. My guess is a big 0. I guess I have to ask whos he teaching. Anyone that owns a 3030 knows already there a good hunting rifle and anyone that doesn't isn't going to be convinced. I smiled too when he said a 3030 wont kill an elk. Bet you that thousands of them have been put in the freezer by the 3030. Wonder if he smears nail polish all over his scope mounts too By gosh though NOW I KNOW THE 3030 WILL KILL A DEER.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

..Anybody know that Eeyore fellow? My grandchildren introduced me to him..but I didn't expect to meet him again, here on GBO !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEYORE.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	244714  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-12-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:07 AM

typical. cant argue facts so you resort to personal attacks. did I in some way insult you???

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
typical. cant argue facts so you resort to personal attacks. did I in some way insult you???
That video was just a way of giving due credit to an old round, that still is very functional, still doing a fine job, and I just wanted to highlight it.

Didn't you notice how in stead of citing something positive about this grand old cartridge, you went on the attack right off?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:58 AM

There are a lot of young guys that have no idea about the 3030! So definitely worth watching for some. Iím below rifle zone here in Michigan, so Iím a 44mag or 357 guy. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Gun Cabinet

I thought that he had been pretty darn specific about his personal experience with deer hunting and the 30-30. I've watched several of Paul's videos and find him to be a reasonably intelligent and personable guy. I do think he likely opened more than a few eyes showing the relative "drop" out of an iron sighted 30-30 looking at a 50 yard, then 100 yard target. For those who did not watch, the answer is none. There's virtually no difference in POI with a rifle sighted at 50 yards when shooting at 100 yards (a 30-30 with iron sights). He was simply making a point for those who feel that the 30-30's trajectory is simply unsuitable for much of today's deer hunting. That point being that the rifle is easily capable to 150-200 yards when sighted in properly and using appropriate loads. No more, no less.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 AM

you guys act like hes there to do the shooting world a favor. He makes money blowing up pumpkins.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I guess one way a moderator can get the post count up is to stir up sh!t on as many posts as he can.

I like articles on the old cartridges and like was mentioned the 30-30 has been overlooked by the younger crowd. Not only that , but the 30-30 has come a long way since the old black powder days. If any cartridges deserves to be revisited now and again the 30-30 does.

Thanks for the post IG
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
you guys act like hes there to do the shooting world a favor. He makes money blowing up pumpkins.

I don't know why you chose to cast aspersions on the venerable 30/30 and Paul Harrell, but you certainly did ! The 30/30 doesn't need anyone to speak for it's record. Some well respected figures in the hunting fraternity have said that the 30/30 has taken more deer than any other round. Some people debate that, but there is no doubt it is at least among the top 3.

Yes, he did say it was not the best choice for Elk, he did not say it was no choice at all. A couple reasons..

1) A bull elk can be a sizeable animal, and it is prudent to use something more powerful, since most of us who would be hunting elk have access to them.

2) The most common ranges elk are found at, a longer range capable rifle, would be better.

I don't recall him saying the 30/30 couldn't kill an elk !

Now, for Paul himself.. I wish I had as sterling a record as does Paul ! That includes both in the military and in shooting competition!.

Paul has 200,000 subscribers to his videos, and who knows how many like myself, who just tune in regularly, for the knowledge he offers free-of-charge, in his demonstrations. Then too, it is highly likely that men he served with, those he competed with , as well as those in his NG unit, likely
watch or have watched his videos, so he cannot get away with false claims.

So, let's get to know Paul Harrell. It behooves us to do that much, especially if we go out of our way to criticize him!

Here's 7+ minutes of info:

...Just FYI ! Let's look at the

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page