Hard loading Savage ML2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Default Hard loading Savage ML2

Friend is = female - 5'4"- slight build
has a ML2 that is hard for her to load. I'd say it's 50#+ with smooth black and 452 bullets and shooting 5744. Gun shoots good and is accurate but really does not need all that loading pressure. I have 2 Savage 50 cal ML2 and a upgraded boltnose & plug 50 Rem700ML and they shoot great and she can load them easily.

I'm thinking that a bore polish job, cleaner powder like VV N110 or H4198 and going to BCR or the RCR sabots and .451 bullets would help.

Other than rebarrel or getting a sizing die and sizing all her bullets what else other than what I plan to do might help?

Gillnet

Ruark "use enough gun"

molon labe

extinction is the rule, survival the exception
apply the rule, be the exception
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 AM

Try a different bullet, sabot combo.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:36 AM

Gun Cabinet

Try Harvester crush rib sabots or as said try another bullet

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM

One of the shooting instructors at our local range had a savage inline and it was hard to load. He swears the bullet/sabot was fully seated against the smokeless powder but that Savage blew up, sent shrapnel right through the plywood bench. Guy at the other end of the shooting lane was hit in the arm and several split barrel pieces ended up in the parking lot. Scope glass disintegrated to the size of grains of sand.
The shooter ended up with an injured hand. Barrel pieces were gathered and sent to Savage to be analysed.
Word has it that a foreign manufacturer produced the barrels.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 PM

wolfspotter - I don't doubt what you heard, but do you know anyone that actually witnessed the incident? There's a lot of rumors (I heard, that Bill, said that he heard Joe tell him that... sort of thing), floating around. My question would be, why would Savage have a foreign manufactuer produce barrels for them, when they make their own barrels?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM

I have had a Savage ml2 for years. It is hard to load with .452 bullets and MMP sabots. I have tried other bullet and sabot combinations and have had misfires, since they did not compress the powder charge of 5744 as tightly. It may be the nature of this beast.

ch

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Gun Cabinet

Eliminate all doubt use a witness mark on the ram rod That has saved me a couple times especially getting to talk to some one and forgot did I or didn't I load it. What I do I use a piece of black electric tape that way if you change loads remove it and replace it in another spot on your ram rod Back to hard loading Lee sells sizing dies she may want to size the bullets down to where they will seat easier I have seen bullet sabots that seat easier and still have very good accuracy Good luck

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
wolfspotter - I don't doubt what you heard, but do you know anyone that actually witnessed the incident? There's a lot of rumors (I heard, that Bill, said that he heard Joe tell him that... sort of thing), floating around. My question would be, why would Savage have a foreign manufactuer produce barrels for them, when they make their own barrels?
I was shown the results the following day. There were witnesses and talked to the shooter myself since hes been a long time friend and grew up a block away from me. He contacted Savage himself and they told him, when demand was high, they did outsource.
He also does an outstanding job teaching Hunter Safety Coarse. Probably never no the real reason. Always wear eye protection.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Has anybody tried a little olive oil on the sabots? Traditional muzzle loader trick, but it makes life easier....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Mine's hard to load as well. I've even been approached by a RO who questioned whether I was loading the correct caliber (and why I was stoking it with smokeless). I shoot .452's with MMP black sabots over 5744 and lube with bore butter, but it doesn't help much. I believe I read something somewhere that recommended not shooting .451 bullets, possibly in the gun's manual. I'd recommend an aluminum T handle ramrod; it makes loading easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page