.50 Maxi ball...the good,the bad and the.... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Default .50 Maxi ball...the good,the bad and the....

In my previous post I enquired about sabots versus casts in the CVA rifles..I started to look around for. moulds on eBay.It seems if the maxiball comes up fairly regular.Where these moulds in abundance or don't they do good.Have any of you shoot it in a sabot and with what results. Don't think paperpatching is an option with this profile??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Patching isnít an option with the bullet in question. Itís a deeply grease grooved bullet with deep grooves to hold lubricant. To patch it, youíd need to run it through a sizing die roughly 0.007Ē to get two wraps of college ruled paper. Different papers would require more or less resizing. Itís made to shoot as is and I seriously doubt anything could be gained by patching
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM

My .50 cal flinter is the one that shoots the 370gr Maxi. They are lubed, and used without patch, paper, or sabot.

My old hunting partner had the Lyman mould for it and used pure lead from melted down sewer pipe. His creations are about .003" oversize compared to the prelubed factory made Maxi, and, in my flinter, will shoot about a 2" group @ 50yds with open sights the 1:48 twist, using 90 grs of Goex 2F. He purchased his moulds from Dixon's Muzzleloading shop in Kempton Pa.

As for performance on game, with very few exceptions, the deer react as if struck by lightning, provided the bullet placement is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 AM

When I got into muzzleloading in the late 70's, those maxi balls were all the rage. I still shoot a patched round ball in my flinter, and it still kills those deers just as dead as jacketed sabot bullets do in my modern muzzleloaders.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gents

The first name of Freedom is Amendment the 2'nd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:23 PM

I have a Thomson Center Impact with a 1-28 twist. I just tested some 460grn No Excuse lead bullets today and it put 3 shots into just over an inch at 50 yards. Tried the 420grn bullets previously, but the rifle didn't like them as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:46 AM

You're not going to get a .50 Maxiball into a sabot and then down the pipe of a .50 barrel. It would be possible with a .45 Maxiball, but there are much better projectiles if you are going to use sabots.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page