Traditions Nitrofire, things have gotten ridiculous - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Traditions Nitrofire, things have gotten ridiculous

So now there is a breechloading/muzzleoading rifle by Traditions, that uses a pre-measured charge cartridge. Pretty soon they will invent a completely self-contained cartridge firearm. Oh wait, that would be a rifled shotgun. So, this new wonder rifle limits you to using a charge of either 100 or 120 grains. What if your best accuracy is really at a charge of 85 or 112 grains ? You'll never know.

I am just saying muzzleloaders have evolved into something completely unnnecessary. There was really not much wrong with loose powder, and percussion caps,. We really don't need pellets, primer carriers, pre-measured powder cartridges. It seems like Traditions, CVA and T/C come out with new models every year. However, the old 1971 H & R Huntsman, or Marlin MLS-50, using loose powder and #11 caps still get the job done. We do not need change just for the sake of change. How many shots at deer where lost because someone forgot to unscrew the safety on the Knight rifles. Complexity does not always get you benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:36 PM

Sounds a little hypocritical coming from someone shooting a pair of inline guns. Maybe you should get yourself a club and a handful of rocks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM

I'll stick to real black powder and my flint locks, Thank-you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
Sounds a little hypocritical coming from someone shooting a pair of inline guns. Maybe you should get yourself a club and a handful of rocks.
Inline muzzleloaders have been around since 1808, so...

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM

I don't think that new gun will be allowed in some states for hunting purposes. My state regulations require that the gun must be loaded from the muzzle to qualify for hunting.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstyk View Post
I don't think that new gun will be allowed in some states for hunting purposes. My state regulations require that the gun must be loaded from the muzzle to qualify for hunting.

Same in Indiana - loaded ONLY from the muzzle. And I hope they don't go changing the language to allow a breechloader (even if only half the load) to be used in muzzleloader season.

I wouldn't buy it just because of the expense as well as the inability to customize your powder charge. They are planning to be stuck with only two choices right now.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckisred View Post
You are making an assumption that I own and shoot the guns I mentioned. I own a couple of traditional muzzleloaders, flint and cap. The point of my post was to solicit the opinion of others on the Traditions Nitrofire rifle and it's loading system.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiiver View Post
You are making an assumption that I own and shoot the guns I mentioned. I own a couple of traditional muzzleloaders, flint and cap. The point of my post was to solicit the opinion of others on the Traditions Nitrofire rifle and it's loading system.
Point taken. My apologies for getting your shorts in a wad.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:49 AM

The gun company's just keep pushing so they can sell more guns but quite a few states say it must load from the front and some do not allow scopes. It is the same way with bow season we really don't need cross bows with scopes and all the other things they have to go with them.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page