White's and Tesoro's Detectors? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Default White's and Tesoro's Detectors?

I live in a very historic area on property that was settled by the Spanish, French, English, and finally the US. Deed evidence indicates a house, houses, or plantation were here on this spot for hundreds of years. I am mostly interested in coins right now that may have been lost from ages past by accident, house burnings, or by those secreting a cache since banks did not exist. If jewelry or other metal valuables are around, of course, that would be desirable too. I have all the time in the world to dig or explore and a dealer just up the road sells Whites and Tesoros. I figure its best to buy local and will probably buy from him. My question is, what models or expense should I be looking at to find coinage or jewelry. I would appreciate your input or advice.

"I'm not someone to be as good as. I'm someone to be better than."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Default Re: White's and Tesoro's Detectors?

It all depends on what you want to do with it. All detectors have some level of discrimination, some have ID systems, etc. Some work in black sand along beach's better than others, etc.

If you get a mid level detector, turn discrimination off and dig every signal you will have the best chance of finding good stuff. Relying on ID in a historic area may cost you some good finds, as they may be masked by iron, etc.

When I'm in a area like you describe, I settle in for the long haul, mark off 10' x 10' areas and dig everything there.

A $400.00 White's is what I'm using, of course it's now 7 years old so that was the cost then, and I've never been displeased or skunked by others with better detectors.

Just my humble opinion.

Ben

Where is the ammo?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks mechanic.
I suppose I'm looking to spend less than $1000, certainly not more. The advice I got from my dealer, who digs too, seems to jive with yours on turning discrimination off and digging up marked plots. I will be digging under my house much of the time since there seems to have always been a house of sorts there for the last 250 yrs. As you can tell from my posts, I am a newbie at this and know very little about terminology or systems. About all I do know is that I am in a real good location for digging up history.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Even on the top line detectors the ID systems and discrimination can sometimes fool you. I use mine if I'm in a trashy area such as a city park where I'm looking only for coins and rings, etc.

In an area like you will be in, I ignore them, dig everything, and check the hole again after you've dug the first find.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you find the buried treasure!

Ben

Where is the ammo?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 AM

I've thought about purchasing a good metal detector but so far haven't pulled the trigger, as it seems I have too many hobbies as it is and not enough time to do everything in between naps and all. Take a gander at different hobby sites and you will get many different opinions on how to go about treasure hunting. Here's one.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...tecting-forum/

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM

One accessory I would never be without is a pin pointer. Garrett's Pro Pointer is what I use. It saves a ton of time locating your find.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Agree on the pinpointer. Handy to have.

I've used Whites' detectors with good success, years ago, and my #1 hunting buddy still uses them. Tesoro brands are good, as well.

I would suggest a modestly-priced one for your first one, whatever brand you choose.. Say $250-$350. Turn the discriminator off and dig everything you find, until you get used to the idiosyncracies of your machine. Then gradually learn the higher functions. I'm currently using a Bounty Hunter that I got on a trade and it does as well as any I've ever had.

If you're in a historic area, dig everything. While stationed in Virginia, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of collectibles that I found around old homesteads going back to the colonial era, as well as in the battle areas.

Now my #1 search area is around old houseplaces in the towns near where I live...after they move an old house off, or when they start to do foundation work, I ask permission to "dig" and have found some nice silver coins, lately. The main thing is: the more you search, the more you will find.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much guys for the advice. Not knowing anything about the 2 brands the dealer is selling, I needed the input. Glad to know Whites and Tesoros don't suck so I'll get a model from him. Now it comes down to the amount to spend.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 AM

HUMMMM ! Interesting--as if I didn't have enough on the table.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM

THing is a great hobby, but it can be time consuming. Even a near entry level can find stuff..I'm talking $250 to $350,especially if you run in a non-discriminate mode. White's and Tesoro are both good brands..Just have to check them out to see which fits you best.
In order to be successful, you have to spend plenty of hours in the field, so weight can be a factor. Only time and practice can attune your hearing to the subtle sounds that can make a big difference. I have a Troy Shadow II, which is actually a custom Tesoro. I like the Tesoro type, since they have miniature circuitry and most use only one rectangular 9-volt battery..which means less battery cost and weight. If you want a digital display however, you might like White's better.
Other good brands..Fisher, Garrett, Minelab Yes, spend a little more and get a pinpointer along with your detector.

If you talk to a good dealer, he/she may want to know just what type soil you usually will be hunting in..it can make a difference. A reputable dealer can be a real help.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page