Anybody here into magnet fishing? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Dee

I've been metal detecting off and on for decades, but I've never spent the money on a really good unit.

To me it's not the condition of the find as much as it is the history of it.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I tried it ..perhaps about 3 hours total, plan on getting back to it this summer. I didn't find anything of value but learned a few things

I fished off bridges over local creeks, and discovered that they aren't particularly good...reason being, during the summer they get low enough, so if there was anything valuable/visible, it is likely somebody would have spotted it from the bridges, since creeks around her have clear water and usually gravel bottoms..

Probably the best place for the magnets, would be fishing from a concrete dam, which has several feet of water against it at all times.

Canals with clean side and continuous depth, would be good. Also check piers which have sufficient water depth.. people drop all kinds of things off piers and around boats which are tied to piers.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by va rifleman View Post
Those would be great spots! Iíve been metal detecting at my place. Found some wagon and harness tack and a 1862 chainsaw part. 😄

My 350# magnet is enough for me... Of course the listed power is under best conditions, on a flat, clean, surface . If zi get such a contact, I usually have to slide the magnet of sidewise.

If it were a 1200# magnet and happened to get a good, flat surface on something heavy, like old machinery or an I-beam... I would be wondering how to retrieve my magnet..probably a swim would be in order.

Now, for that 1862 chainsaw part..perhaps I didn't read correctly, but Stihl invented the chain saw in Germany, in 1927..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by va rifleman View Post
Those would be great spots! I’ve been metal detecting at my place. Found some wagon and harness tack and a 1862 chainsaw part. 😄

My 350# magnet is enough for me... Of course the listed power is under best conditions, on a flat, clean, surface . If zi get such a contact, I usually have to slide the magnet of sidewise.

If it were a 1200# magnet and happened to get a good, flat surface on something heavy, like old machinery or an I-beam... I would be wondering how to retrieve my magnet..probably a swim would be in order.

Now, for that 1862 chainsaw part..perhaps I didn't read correctly, but Stihl invented the chain saw in Germany, in 1927...
Thinking the same with getting it unstuck. Makes sense about shallow, clear water. We have a lot of dark water in that creek. It’s less then a mile from a battle site and on the route used by Jeff Davis. Did a test with a antenna magnet. That one barely held on to a big square washer through a piece of .5” plywood. Thinking of a muddy bottom.

Very much tongue in cheek with that 1862 chainsaw part. 😄

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page