Handi-Rifle Blackout Scope Questions - Graybeard Outdoors
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Default Handi-Rifle Blackout Scope Questions

Two questions. I bought a 300 Blackout Handi-rifle for my sons. One is right handed and the other son is left handed.

I need a hammer extension that will work from both sides. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I want to mount a Nikon P-22 2-7x32 scope on the rifle. Will Warne low rings work or do I need medium rings?

My sons are 6 & 7 years of age and will be shooting mostly suppressed subsonic rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Handi-Rifle Blackout Scope Questions

A Carlson's hammer extension will work with some modification of the hammer or extension, the opening is a bit small, so it doesn't quite fit right if you don't change the hammer or the opening, or a little on both.

The large power ring and bell of the short Nikon will most likely require high rings without changing the hammer.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod1442.aspx

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

As Tim eluded to, I would disassemble the receiver and trim the hammer and do a trigger job at the same time. Having a lower scope will make it easier for them to shoot. All the info you need is in the FAQs.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 AM

This hammer spur will fit the H&R Handi rifles from either side, left or right.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod9036.aspx
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The factory(Uncle Mike's) hammer extension will work from either side, but it won't without removing it and changing it for use on the opposite side, not very practical to be shared by the OP's sons, the Carlson's works from either side once mounted,

Tim

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM

I also have the same issue kids shoot gun more than me and I have removed/bobbed the trigger/uncle mike's spor to accommodate low mounting scope in Warne low rings. In fact the low profile Warne rings is all I have used with guns for the kids. Little time fitting pays off and I think it pays off in the long run keeping the gun mounted for a successful shooting situation so they don't feel recoil sensitive. The hammers if you screw up are cheap and can go back to stock. I have filled back the gaps a little with solder to make the hammer more stable under recoil as the set screw tends to creep when removing contact surface. My vote is to work the hammer in conjunction with the spur to remove as little metal from either part as possible. Hope this makes sense
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM

Guys, where is your manners?? WELCOME Vetgas!!!

Personally I feel the hammer spur side is moot... I like mine on the opposite side of most. My point is, they don't know one form the other so let them see what they like and do that. I'll bet it will be fine on one side.

BUT if not, I have seen a spur the extends from both sides and IINM it was a Carlson. As Timmy mentioned, I'm sure it could be modified to fit.

GREAT scope!! (Its my next purchase!!) I'm pretty sure your rings will be fine, if too close, its likely gonna be at the hammer. A easy trimming and shaping as -Dinny mentioned will have you stylin'

God luck and don't for get the rules... WE LIKE PICTURES!!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I grew up recoil sensitive so I am doing everything I can to help these little guys do well.

I did do a pile of research and the P-22 Nikon scope seemed my best bet for the money. They already shoot the same reticle in a Nikon Rimfire in a 22 rifle so that was another reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
A Carlson's hammer extension will work with some modification of the hammer or extension, the opening is a bit small, so it doesn't quite fit right if you don't change the hammer or the opening, or a little on both.

The large power ring and bell of the short Nikon will most likely require high rings without changing the hammer.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod1442.aspx
How exactly are you guys modifying the hammer or the extension to fit the hammer? Dremel some material out?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I've only used a dremel stone to modify the hammer spur and extension, but some use a file.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page