I'm through with Handi rifles....... or.... am I? - Page 5 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM

All of my hunting is done with NEF/H&R singles. We paired 7 different 30-30 barrels from yesteryear(the slim profile type) with modern receiver frames. Pieced together 1 for each of the grandsons, and managed to have 1 for myself. We use the same 170 grain Sierra FN load with LE powder for all but one. One we use the 160FTX loading with LE.

All the youngin's start with our .223 lightweight with 20" barrel for range time.

When they start deer hunting their 30-30's have many rounds downrange.

I've also hunted in the western US with my Sidekick muzzleloader using BH209 and PR bullets. Seems I'm always able to get a permit with the muzzleloader.

LIKE THESE FEATURES

*Top mounted breeching lever
*Synthetic non monte carlo buttstock
*Fairly light
*Shoulders quickly and come to point of aim fast
*Easy to reload for.
*Left Hand Friendly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

IS there any chance the Handi Rifle will be made again? Not many 'tools' that work as well [when production quality is kept up] as a Handi rifle for the price. There really is no drawback to it's ability to put venison in the freezer. I've hunted and killed deer with just about every type of rifle made and the HANDI gets it done as well as anything. It's exposed hammer makes an EXCELLENT starting rifle for it's safety characteristics. Oh well I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times.....
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 PM

Henry may do it better. Give them a try. I would but the cartridges they are chambering really don't appeal to me.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Any chance the Handi will be made again? Not unless someone wants to tool up all new fixtures, etc., all the tooling was scrapped when they closed up shop this last time.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Well I have owned a slew of Handis and they are a hunting rifle for sure, not so much a target rifle as others have chimed in with. I do have one older wood stocked standard 243, that will out group my Tikka t3 and customized Remington 700 hands down on 3 shot groups. That's with factory loads in the handi and precise hand loads in the bolts. It has a cheap 3x9 scope on it and I'm scared to change a thing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Handis 223 Superlight, 357 Maxi x 2,
Pardners 410 22''full, 20ga Tamer, 20ga 20' threaded for chokes youth model, Pardner 12ga 18.5 threaded for chokes.
too many numerous ones that have been sold
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have a coworker that has a Swarovski on his 35 Whelen Handi. He said ya cant hit what ya cant see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
Maybe some of you naysayers need to take a little advice from a knowledgeable and experience gunsmith and shooter, a quote from the Handi-Rifle section of ML McPherson's book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle", his title of the section is The (Lack of!) Trouble with The New England Firearms Handi-Rifle(H&R Ultra).

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/573...-m-l-mcpherson

Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

Leverguns and single shots do it for me. I love my Handis. Got rid of my Ruger #1 after getting my first Handi Rifle several years ago. I've been lucky. Never had one that wouldnt shoot. Altho I have friends that have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntmuch View Post
I think their junkers, & I love them. 17 inch 357 max tamer stock 1X4 leupold, is the absolute ultimate treestand rifle. Muzzleloader season you say . Slufoot 45-70 conversion got it covered. possum in the chicken coop. shorty 17 hmr got it. I have more pricey guns, but it seems the handis always gets the nod for hunting.
Now I admit Im in a bit of a lever gun craving lately. But the handis wont be left behind

Joe S.
Central MS

post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM

Gun Cabinet

I still want one in 480...

Joe S.
Central MS

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Default I had a Ruger #1 in 475/480......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I still want one in 480...
...... but was offered too much money to keep it. It was unfired ANIB.
Oops..... gonna wake up one night on that one.....
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:04 PM

I've had Handi's in 3 different calibers in the last few years. The first was a .22 WMR that was actually a really cool rifle. Green laminate stock and heavy barrel, brushed nickel maybe? It was some sort of light colored finish. It was just too heavy for what it was. The 2nd was a model 158 in .357 Max that had to have a 10 lb.+ trigger pull. The thing was awful. The 3rd, and only one I currently own is a newer production 45/70, and it's a great rifle. I have thought about buying up more in different calibers, but it's kind of hard to justify that when you can get a brand new Ruger American or Savage Axis for not much over $350 and you know it will be a good shooter, not to mention there is still a factory in existence in case they ever need sent in for repair.

FWIW, I'm on my 3rd Ruger American Rifle now: .22 WMR, .223, and 300 BLK. Now that Ruger has dropped the 77/357 and 77/44 from the M77 line up, I look for them to make a comeback in the RAR line!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page