Redneck Ballistics tests - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Redneck Ballistics tests

I took the Handi 45/70 to the woods range today and conducted ballistics tests on green trees.

I found a windfall fir tree and blasted it with several different rounds of Trail Boss loads.
With a full case of Trail Boss behind a 340 gr cast flat nose bullet, it penetrated a 12 in. section of the tree and keep on trucking.Just a fun day at our Redneck range. I even tried the old Tokarev with hardball and soft point ammo on the same science tree.Complete penetration with hardball at 12 inches and 3 to 4 inches of tree stopped my self defense load.

I didn't prove a darn thing but sure had fun in the great outdoors after being cooped up for many day's of poor wet, and cold weather.My buddy and forum member tried out his new (used) 44 special Uberti and had fun doing that until the front sight fell off!

The Handi experiment went well. Not so with the Tok! I guess I was too close to the tree and something came back at me and smacked me in the honker! I looked like Rudolf the red nose rain deer for a while till the bleeding stopped. Except for a scab on my nose it was overall a good time in the great outdoors.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post

The Handi experiment went well. Not so with the Tok! I guess I was too close to the tree and something came back at me and smacked me in the honker! I looked like Rudolf the red nose rain deer for a while till the bleeding stopped. Except for a scab on my nose it was overall a good time in the great outdoors.
Those oldies (Tokarevs) are tough cookies. They hit back! Lesson learned, don't stand so close, where someone can punch you in the snozz!
I bet you had a laugh at your buddies expense when the front sight fell off his Uberti. He probably got a kick at your expense too.

Happy you weren't hurt badly.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM

Reminds me of the classic line.'you'll put yer eye out!'
Be vewy, vewy careful, some trees (or fenceposts and car junk wheels...dont ask...) shoot back.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:53 PM

My kind of testing
I'd go shootin with you ANY DAY.
Just stand back..... a little further, lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:46 PM

I have used the redneck ballistic test a time or two myself. Once inadvertently while shooting at a huge buck. That was at least 12 years ago and my daughter, who was 8 then, still won't let me forget about it. Worth it for the memories though.

I also like to use the redneck accuracy test which is MOCC or Minute of Coke Can. If I can nail a Coke can three times at 100 yards, we are good to hunt.

Make it count.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 AM

I cut down a poplar sappling with a 20ga while grouse hunting. The tree fell straight down, except for about the bottom 6' and the bird flew away.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 AM

And the bird got up and slowly walked away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page