Graybeard Outdoors banner

THE .357 thread

7K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  cwlongshot 
#1 ·
The .357 Magnum seems to have become one of, if not the most popular calibers around here. Probably near half have become Maxi's. Let's see pics of yours. Details of standard or reamed, type of sights, scopes, favorite loads, etc... is even better.

The first one, was bought new with an SB1 frame and synthetic stocks. It is now on an SB2 frame from a 280 Rem I bought new. The lam stocks are from a used 12 ga., removed the recoil pad and dremel fit an H&R embossed plastic butt plate. The scope is a 3-9x40 TC branded that I had laying around. I will eventually go to something smaller like a Weaver 1-3x20 or Leupold 1-4x20. Just found out this barrel will take .360 DW brass so I will be working up loads for it. Big thanks to twoshooter!!
The second one was built for my son with a barrel from here. The frame is a newer SB1. The forearm is from the other 357, and the youth stock is a Choate from Midway. It wears a red/green Bushnell Trophy multi reticle sight.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
We've had four or five Maxies over the years. These are our current two. We seldom, almost never shoot .357 Mags in them. They feed my Ruger Blackhawk. We shoot .38s running slow for small game and plinking and sometimes +Ps. The Maxie load for both is the 180 SSP (I still have about four boxes) over 23.7 gr. Lil Gun running 2150 fps from their 16.5 inch barrels.

Pete

Attachments

#3 ·
Here are my 2 Maxis. Both barrels were bought on here and both have older Sightron S11 scopes. Top is an SB2 bottom is an SB1. They shoot well with Reeds 180 XTP loads. I'm new to reloading and I think 27gr of 1680 with a 180 SSP is the sweet spot, but I'm still trying to grasp the whole reloading thing. I think I'm close. I've had a blast reloading and trying to find the right loads for these guns. I also have 2 factory built standard Magnums with synthetic stocks that I have squirreled away just because.

Attachments

#5 ·
This thread makes me realize I have no really good photos of my 357 gun.

Custom build using a Numrich chambered blank most likely originating as an overrun from production of the IMI Timberwolf pump guns way back when.

I was able to use it to claim the title of shortest non-NFA gun at a recent shooting meet:

Most importantly, using the forums reamer and judicious handloading it will ring steel out to 425 yards and probably further.

It works.

#6 · (Edited)
I'll throw mine in the mix. I'd been looking for one for quite a while and found it on Armslist last week. It's on an SB1 frame with the last three numbers of the frame serial number electropenciled on the barrel lug (which casts just a little doubt in my mind on the PO's assertion that he was the original owner and he bought it as a .357 - Edit - I know better now, thanks to Pete's post below. Thanks, Pete!). Shown with its sort-of big brother in .300 Blackout.

#11 ·
No photos in the new furniture, but I recently put my .357 in a shotgun stock instead of the camouflage synthetic. I plan to chop it to 18", refinish the stock, and coat the barrel and receiver in a stainless finish of some sort, and mount a compact 2.5x matching scope or Skinner type peep. I have always liked the look of stainless and wood together.

It is a lot of fun to shoot. I have some Magnum brass loaded with 158 SWC and Trail Bosss that is accurate enough for cans at 25, but needs tweaked for more accuracy out a little further. I have a 140FTX load that will set things on fire, and a good shooting 158XTP load. I really want to find a good heavy cast load, but that will be a project for mid-summer. My intention is to turn it into a carbine strictly for cast shooting. I need more time to figure out the best way to do it and I am tight on funds and time right now.

Currently, it is my favorite rifle. It is not my most consistent, but I work on that when I can.

#12 ·
Redleg do you have the Lee 200 grain .358 mold? I have one and love it although I don't shoot it much.

Just killing paper here, for that the 158 grain round nose tl or the 124 gr do just fine.

But the 200 grain gas checked would be my cast of choice for harvesting deer in the .357.

#13 ·
I do not cast my own. I have found some 180 grainers though. I will look more thoroughly when time permits. About 1600fps or so with a heavy for hunting, and 158s at 950-1000 for plinking and small game will be my targets. Will see what happens as there are a lot of variables that come into plat.

#17 ·
Well I have had 3 or 4, and down to one and still want another one. This was my first one, sb2 frame, 17" barrel, custom crown, weaver el Paso scope, buffalo classic furniture, used the forum reamer, but at the price that was offered I had to part with it. Then the second one is my current one 16.5 barrel with factory sb1 frame, forum reamer used. Survivor forend, with adapter for bi pod or light under it, choate stock, sitting on top is the UTG bugbuster 3x9x40 with AO and it has a red or green lit reticle. Green cerakote style paint job. I love this rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Stewmagoo, I know this is a very old string, but... I am pretty sure that the second picture in your post is the .357 max that I just bought via the go2gbo classifieds. I couldn’t resist it. Haven’t fired it yet. Any advice on which loads it liked best? Did you ever shoot cast bullets with it?

#19 ·
DawnGazer it is one of my many maxis. Stikshooter who I sold it to, that you acquired it from has some great load data for it that produced great results. PM Ed, I'm for sure he will share it.

Stew

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Well I've done some changing since this post was made. I sold the 357 barrel I bought from here to another member. I remated the factory matching 357 mag barrel and frame, installed camo synthetic stocks, and added a matching camo Nikon 2-7x33 scope. I then put together a factory chambered 357 Maxi with matching frame. Installed a Topper 88 .410 stock set, and mounted a Leupold M8 4x scope.

Attachments

#21 ·
Those are nice rifles. However, viva le differance. I like the stubby just as it is. My Model 157 .30-30 is my favorite “looker”, though it is also a great shooting iron. The stubby will be the new truck gun, until I find a new toy. I wonder if I will ever get too many. 😊

It did not come with a scope so I put a Nikon 2-7x on it. I have a lot of .357 magnum and .38 special so I will take it to the range with that. I have almost 100 cases, and have cast bullets and some H110 and Trailboss powder on order. I am following up on a box of Remington 7 1/2 primers. (I like hand loading almost as much as shooting.)

#22 ·
Nice to see the renewed Intrest. . Only 357 Mag rifles are levers. All others converted to the maxi.

Still lovin my original. Had for many years. Pruned it from 22 to 17 some years back. Still shoots great but surely lost some velocity.
Last year, with Stew's help, I acquired a Grail. A Savage 24 357/20 ga. I did shoot it as a mag but made it a maxi before I owned it a week. Been shooting my own cast thru it. It’s shooting well for me.

My Second maxi H&R went to another member here who lives here in CT some years back.

Picked up a 350 Legend in a RUGER Bolt and have been enjoying that. It’s a Rimless maxi +P.

CW

#23 · (Edited)
Took the new to me H&R .357 magnum, rechambered to .357 Maxi, w/ 17” barrel to the range. Had a great time, despite the rain and not having any maximum ammunition.

I shot .357 magnum w/ 165 gr lswc-gc that chronograph at 1650 fps out of a Ruger 77/357 with an 18.5” barrel. I speculate it flies at 1500+ FPS out of the 17” barrel. Unfortunately, this bullets have proved to be quite unsatisfactory in both rifles. I can’t get better than a 5” group at 50 yards.

I also shot .38 special with 158 gr. LTC that chronograph at 1050 fps out of the 18.5” barrel. Those bullets shoot a 50 yard 5 shot group with all holes touching out of both rifles.

I suspect that my dissertation is boring to most of you, but I really enjoy shooting the H&R .357 rifle. I am still assembling the components and tools to hand load some maxi ammo. Can’t wait to shoot them.

#25 ·
Bullet fit is king, they must be big enough if you want accuracy.

The harder you push that bullet, the more all variables need to be near perfect. Including fit, length, lube, distance from rifling, etc.

It is a bit like driving a car with one cylinder not firing. At 30-40 mph you likely would not notice much. Try to push it over 60 and you sure will.

Enjoy the road your on, its a good one. Stick with it.

#26 · (Edited)
I will try some store bought .357 magnum Magtec .158 gr jsp ammo that has been in the reserves for almost a year. I have some cast .359” 180 gr. sil-gc and 200 gr. rnfp-gc on order. I was told, since I ordered them, that they may be too large and that I should start with a low pressure powder charge.

#27 ·
CW,
I have a Ruger 77/357 that I bought back around 2008. It is, I believe, the only commercially manufactured bolt action .357 magnum rifle made recently. I thought about re-chambering it to maxi, but decided against it. It has been my favorite companion on many walks through the San Diego countryside. (Coyotes don’t much care for it.) The new to me .357 maxi may change that. We shall see.

#29 ·
Some don’t like the synthetic stock. I bought a Boydes stock, but it did not increase accuracy. The original 5.5 rifle is much more pleasant, at least for a portly senior. I load the .38 special long so that they do not slip in the magazine with recoil and jamb it. I load 4.0 gr. of IMR 700X under a 158 gr. truncated cone bullet. It has bagged many rabbits. The jack rabbits are quite Wiley and will generally require a 75 to 100 yard shot.

#30 ·
GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!

I bought a Savage 357/20 last year. Shot it one single time and chambered it Maxi 48 hours after receiving it!!

Love the Maxi! If ya did that Bolt it would be a single shot as it’s too long for the mag and probably too long for the magazine opening!!!

I have a 43 Mag Bolt that I contemplated a 45 COLT. Silly thought and sold it off.

Darn respectable Loads can be made in Magnum with a good cast bullet!!

Cobalt blue Bead Electric blue Art Craft

CW

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.