The only thing left is blueing - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Nice little steutzen in the wood Gene; nice thing about the easy change stocks is that you can go either way, choice of the day.
I feel your pain abut the wide groups at distance (found I have glaucoma in the end of last Dec; explains my misses better.....). Still, a hit is a hit/good score even up closer!
Are you gonna try bluing yourself?
I... I probably will try to do it with cold blue. That's why it hasn't been done yet. I'm a little ​afraid I will mess it up so I keep putting it off. Some day I'll do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Nice outfit!

I wouldn't worry about trying the cold blue. Just get something good and follow the instructions. If it doesn't turn out like you want it's not that hard to strip it down and start over. And if all else fails you can always use something like Duracoat.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Spruce is right on, Gene!
The prep is the most important, just like with a paint job; super clean to start, multiple wash downs with cleaner (I use lacquer thinner) wearing those throw away gloves and heat the metal. A heat gun, propane torch or even over the gas cook stove burner using a through the barrel dowel for you to hang on to gets it to a soft sizzle temp for the big mop of 'cold blue'. A check of the I-net will tell you what people have had good luck with. Multiple coats smooths the color out and the worst that can happen is you dont like it and after some reconsideration pay somebody big bucks to do it over ('sometime' later).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Nice!!

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Nice work!! I've blued a couple barrels using Belgian Blue, Brownell's and Midway both carry it, all you need is a tank of hot water, I used a section of galvanized gutter on the BBQ, takes several applications with carding between, but it provides and very nice finish, better than any cold blue I've ever done.

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...ml#post1543484
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tapered octagon barrel 2.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	159498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tapered octagon barrel 1.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	159506  

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 AM

Location: Smack Dab in the middle of God's Country! Saskatchewan, Of Course!

many many years ago, a buddy and I get our hands on 4 Gevarm .22 parts guns, enough to build two complete rifles.

on my barrel, we cold blued it sitting at his kitchen table.

We had NO IDEA what we were doing, just followed the instructions on the bottle of bluing from our local hardware store. Probably Birchwood Casey

I remember, we steel wooled it until is was nearly white, then wiped it with something (I seem to remember starting ether), then blued it, steel wool 0000.... blue.... steel wool... blue.... I think we put on about 7-8 coats.

My brothers thought it was a new barrel when we were done.

that was in 1979. I sold that rifle about 5 years ago! for a semi auto, it was very accurate and FUNNNNN in full auto mode!

I am ONLY responsible for what I say
I am NOT responsible for what you THINK I said
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 PM

I am inspired thanks to you Gene! I have all the bits to put together a classic carbine style handi laying around and am now certain to do so. I am very curious about getting the barrel blued as I have a case colored SB2 for it. Please share if you do it, or where you have it done. Mine will be a combo 20g with .357 insert until I can get a .357 barrel built.

Life is Outstanding!

I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not trade for the favor of the Kings of the world!

Thomas Alva Edison

I will never get old, never retire, and never pass away.......
I have too many projects!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
I am inspired thanks to you Gene! I have all the bits to put together a classic carbine style handi laying around and am now certain to do so. I am very curious about getting the barrel blued as I have a case colored SB2 for it. Please share if you do it, or where you have it done. Mine will be a combo 20g with .357 insert until I can get a .357 barrel built.
I'm still thinking my way thru it. gene
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 PM

I have had good luck with the Birchwood Casey Super Blue. As other said before, prep and clean the barrel well and use some heat. I put the lug in a vise and then use a screw on propane torch to heat the barrel. Apply, let it cool and clean it with a damp rag, then heat and apply again. Finally, oil the heck out of it after the final clean up and let it soak in the oil for a day or so before giving it another good wipe down.

Make it count.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy5775 View Post
I have had good luck with the Birchwood Casey Super Blue. As other said before, prep and clean the barrel well and use some heat. I put the lug in a vise and then use a screw on propane torch to heat the barrel. Apply, let it cool and clean it with a damp rag, then heat and apply again. Finally, oil the heck out of it after the final clean up and let it soak in the oil for a day or so before giving it another good wipe down.
https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...TNMBGWYAK0835M
Thanks, I have an unopened Birchwood Casey Super Blue kit that has been sitting around for several years. I'll have to get it out and try it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page