Handi AKA not-a-tacticool - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Here's the advice I passed along to my sons: If someone is making fun of your rifle, stay polite and smile, then casually shoot the staples out of his target...Scott B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:44 PM

Upnut

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 PM

I brought my 12 ga. Pardner with open sights out at the 100 yd rifle range before deer season to see if I could hit the target. The guys there with me were shooting AR's with scopes and they were making lots of little holes in their targets in about a 6" circle. I took my time, fired three sluggers and went down range with them to pick up my target before leaving. My overall group was about the same size as theirs but the holes were alot bigger. They all said wow thats a good group for a shotgun. I just nodded. Its more about hole size than group size if your trying to impress a deer.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 05-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Up until a few years ago I didn't want to own a rifle unless it was blue steel and walnut (stained hardwood would in some cases) Could not see any use for a semi auto of any kind, except in 22 LR. Said I'd never own an AR. Now I have AR's in 5.56 / .223, 7.62 x 39, and 25-45 Sharps, and am in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel and already built my wife a 5.56 / .223 (she also had no interest in AR's - until she saw a certain one). Maybe it was the Russian SKS that got me started - who knows. Anyway - as long as they are shooting I will not make fun of their rifle or them - but will gladly offer any encouragement and instruction I can to help them shoot better. My niece's husband is one of the tacticool kind - can't see any use for wood stocks - lol. And can blast through a bulk pack of 22 LR in a matter of minutes with his tricked out 10-22. Oh well, maybe one day he will realize it isn't how many shots you fire it's how many hit the mark! Dan

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEK_22Hornet View Post
Up until a few years ago I didn't want to own a rifle unless it was blue steel and walnut (stained hardwood would in some cases) n
I remember seeing seeing a thread several years ago somewhere, not here, where this guy had gotten his hands on an older Marlin 336 with black walnut stocks (probably an inheritance). He said the wood "made it look cheap." The thread was a pictorial how-to where he painted the stocks with truck bed liner. He got a bunch of "looks great" and "big improvement" replies.

I thought, well it's his gun and he can do whatever he wants to it but oh how I wished he had sold it to someone who could appreciate it, and used the money to get a Hi-Point carbine or something else more to his liking.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Gun Cabinet

Handi isn't cool? Someone better tell the kids that were at the range last weekend. I was blasting some 38s out of mine and the little ones (2 of them about 8-10 years old) thought it was the neatest gun they ever saw. Maybe it was the short barrel, maybe it was how quiet it was, but maybe they just thought it was cool. Jeans, t-shirt, plain cases, felt wide brimmed hat, and sometimes a cob pipe with a Cavendish blend to go with the idea of a simple rifle for a simple purpose. I wear a full camo outfit and facepaint when I shoot the semis. I get strange looks from other shooters when I change at the line though-may have to just keep it simple.

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 AM

I certainly think Handi Rifles are cool - I made the mistake of taking my new to me 22LR handi barrel to a family shoot - my nephew's 21 year old girlfriend (at the time - now wife) is a leftie and fell in love with it. I ended up building it for her complete with black poly youth stocks and scope - she thinks it is the coolest gun ever - and my nephew's kids do too! But I also make sure they get to ooh and ah over some nice walnut stocked guns as well! Just about anyone who sees the Buffalo Classic I have instantly says how cool it is! they all seem to love the long barrel and walnut stocks - and the brass and blued steel! That 22 LR gets pulled out and she and the kids all take turns shooting it quite often!

Dan - Handi's - 157 22 Hornet Mannlicher Stock, 157 30-30 Mannlicher stock, 45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine with 22K-Hornet and .357 Max Talo barrels, 45-70 Buffalo Classic, 204 Ruger Ultra with Fluted Barrel, 223, 12 Gauge Topper Deluxe Classic, 20 gauge TDC, 20 Gauge Topper Junior Classic, Pardner .410 Youth, 17HMR Sportster, .357 Mag Handi...
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEK_22Hornet View Post
Just about anyone who sees the Buffalo Classic I have instantly says how cool it is! they all seem to love the long barrel and walnut stocks - and the brass and blued steel!
When u ring the 500 yard steel plate with irons and a boolit cast out of wheel weights , that really impressed them. Most can't hit it with their scoped rifle unto you tell them how to aim at that distance.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
When u ring the 500 yard steel plate with irons and a boolit cast out of wheel weights , that really impressed them. Most can't hit it with their scoped rifle unto you tell them how to aim at that distance.
Double that!

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...tml#post656969

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page