wood for handi in 30-30 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Default wood for handi in 30-30

I've decided to go back to wood on a Handi rifle project. Don't like the plastic. I went on ebay to look at some. I have heard that rifle and shotgun stocks are interchangeable, is that correct? Also, there are a lot of youth model stocks on there. Does anyone know of a recoil pad that will bring it out to adult length? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 AM

I have used a slip on for my youth sized wood stock and it did add to where it is close to adult size. The limbsaver slip on will work, but the Allen Eraser is 1/2 the cost and works fine for me. Use the "small" size as the medium is too large.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM

The rifle and shotgun stocks are the same - except some of the rifle stocks have a Monte Carlo comb, which is too high for shotgun use.

IIRC there were 2 versions of the youth stock. One came with a recoil pad factory installed and one came with just a plain buttplate. You could add a thick pad (and maybe a spacer) to the latter to bring the LOP to (or very near) the adult length. If it came with a factory pad then a slip on pad will bring the length closer to adult length, but will still be a bit short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
The rifle and shotgun stocks are the same - except some of the rifle stocks have a Monte Carlo comb, which is too high for shotgun use.

IIRC there were 2 versions of the youth stock. One came with a recoil pad factory installed and one came with just a plain buttplate. You could add a thick pad (and maybe a spacer) to the latter to bring the LOP to (or very near) the adult length. If it came with a factory pad then a slip on pad will bring the length closer to adult length, but will still be a bit short.
I totally agree with this post. The one I was describing in my post came with the recoil pad already installed. It is so close to being adult sized with a slip on, I don't notice anything different with my point of aim and length of reach to the trigger. Just keep in mind the auction cost plus additional cost of spacer/slip on. if you watch the H&R/NEF Classifieds on this forum, you can find adult sized stock kits anywhere from $40-75 for the pallet wood stocks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:30 PM

While a slip-on will lengthen the pull length of a youth stock, I got the impression that flat nose was looking to improve the looks of his rifle. If he is handi (pun intended) an youth shotgun with a thin plastic stock could have a spacer and thick pad added to make it long enough for an average sized adult. Slip ones work, but the kind of ruin the looks/lines of the rifle. I have used them and will continue to use them, but I am function over looks. If I can get an accurate, comfortable rifle that looks good, so much the better, but not a deal breaker. If you want to mount a scope above the hammer, a Monty Carlo stock is a very nice feature that you will not get with a shot stock.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page