Have You Made A Handi Stock? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Default Have You Made A Handi Stock?

Looking for any tips, tricks, advice on the making of a buttstock and forend out of hardwood for a Handi. To my mind the most critical details are the fit to the receiver and the stock bolt angle.
Sound right or am I off my rocker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

There are several homemade stock threads, the search this forum box is your friend.

Tim

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...ml#post1473477

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...tml#post718538

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Well darn it Tim! I thought I had searched. Leave it to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:27 AM

A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a block of kiln dried Honduras mahogany. My father is a woodworker so last weekend I brought him a pallet wood stock set for him to copy with the mahogany. I'll be interested to see how well he does. It will be going on my son's shotgun.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a block of kiln dried Honduras mahogany. My father is a woodworker so last weekend I brought him a pallet wood stock set for him to copy with the mahogany. I'll be interested to see how well he does. It will be going on my son's shotgun.

I would like to see results if you can get pics when he is done.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
I would like to see results if you can get pics when he is done.
Will do. It's my dad's first attempt at gunstocks but everything else he makes comes out good so I think he'll do alright.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have made quite a few stocks and even more forends by using 2 pieces of hardwood glued together then cut and shaped.
I tried several times to drill a long stock bolt hole thru a thick piece of wood and could never get it to work and end up in a place where I could use it to make a stock with.
What I now do is cut a half round groove with a router on 2 ,1" thick boards and glue and clamp them so the stock bolt hole is dead strait and then saw out the shape and work it down with a rasp and files.
Same idea with the forends , use a router to cut a half round barrel channel in 2 boards then glue them together and shape to what you want . Works for me , maybe not what a lot of others would like but easy and with a little of Brownells Acra Glas bedding epoxy you can make a good fitting stock or forend without being a pro.

jedman
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 04:15 AM

I've made forends from cedar, birch, oak, and mahogany. They're the easy part. I hope to manage a stock eventually!

A fun twist I'd throw in is, you can make the rear of the forestock fit the receiver rather than using a plastic spacer with the use of a 1-1/8 forstner bit. I've had great success doing it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Have You Made A Handi Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedman View Post
I have made quite a few stocks and even more forends by using 2 pieces of hardwood glued together then cut and shaped.

I tried several times to drill a long stock bolt hole thru a thick piece of wood and could never get it to work and end up in a place where I could use it to make a stock with.

What I now do is cut a half round groove with a router on 2 ,1" thick boards and glue and clamp them so the stock bolt hole is dead strait and then saw out the shape and work it down with a rasp and files.

Same idea with the forends , use a router to cut a half round barrel channel in 2 boards then glue them together and shape to what you want . Works for me , maybe not what a lot of others would like but easy and with a little of Brownells Acra Glas bedding epoxy you can make a good fitting stock or forend without being a pro.

jedman

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking to use a plunge bit in a router and hog out the forend that way, but I like the idea to cut to boards and glue them together.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddyfisk View Post
I've made forends from cedar, birch, oak, and mahogany. They're the easy part. I hope to manage a stock eventually!

A fun twist I'd throw in is, you can make the rear of the forestock fit the receiver rather than using a plastic spacer with the use of a 1-1/8 forstner bit. I've had great success doing it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You drill the 1-1/8" hole before cutting out the outline of the forend? I've always wondered why that spacer is there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page