shot placement - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 AM

I grew up in shotgun and slug country. Was not much worry about where to hit them. Idea was to hit them. Lot of air around those deer when they are moving.

Over the years the thing that put venison on my table was

A Don't stand out, hunker down and tuck in.

B If they are coming my way, let them come.

The 10 point 200 lb buck on my wall jumped over a deadfall, a firebush, and me. Distance from the end of the barrel to the side of the deer was in inches. Like less than 6 inches.

Slugs may not be super accurate, although these days with rifled slug barrels some guys are getting pretty good results.

But they are a big chunk of lead. And if you put one in a good spot. Don't chase that deer too quickly, give it 15 minutes to lay down, stiffen up and bleed out. Well they will put meat in the pot.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM

About those head shots, Killed a 6 pter last year(mercy killing as some yahoo attempted to make that infamous neck/head shot (take your pick)! That deer had me spending most of the day looking for a shot and finally got the quartering behind the shoulder dead meat shot .The deer was starving and had no lower jaw and this was the 2nd week of rifle ,me shooting a stik bow . The deer was garbage at that point and so is that shot and I hope to never see another animal in that condition . Think before you pull that trigger animals move at unpredictable times and neck/heads turn in an instant with unnecessary suffering and in 2 cases (the other a neck shot 7-8 yrs ago )had a hole a soft ball would fit thru both ended up with my tag not the shooter that caused it /just sayin Ed
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 AM

Neck shot for me when available because they don't have to run far to get into a real **** hole here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Wow, I cant believe satan's home was edited lol.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM

i'v seen alot of neck shots by alot of guys. either the deer was dead right there or they missed clean. i never seen a wounded neck shot. head shot can be a bad deal if the shooter don't under stand where the brain is.

Mike
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Never have taken a shoulder shot. Just slightly behind is my sweet spot. Being an archery hunter I`m never in a hurry to take a shot.
Sooner or later the "shot" presents itself. Guys that are archery hunters know what I`m talking about.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:39 AM

I hold out for the neck shot whenever I can, but I'm fortunate enough to hunt everyday of the season on my own place so I have no problem letting one walk. Nothing wrong with the body shot, I just hate the mess and wasted meat.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
A lot of people think the shoulder shot is a waste of meat - ya, some....
Too much waste, I like no waste if it can be done, and it usually can!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage .250 View Post
Never have taken a shoulder shot. Just slightly behind is my sweet spot. Being an archery hunter I`m never in a hurry to take a shot.
Sooner or later the "shot" presents itself. Guys that are archery hunters know what I`m talking about.

Maybe - for some. I took up archery as a youngster (45# Paul Bunyan recurve) and used the spot & sneak method or just sat and waited. Deer seemed to "sense" my presence when I tried sneaking & belly crawling and never did get a deer with a bow using that technique.

Sitting and waiting on a good known deer route - yup, saw a bunch with the bow but most never walked that trail perfectly and seemed to have that knack of keeping brush between them and me - a couple listened to my ESP pleadings and presented me with a kill shot - I got a couple and missed a couple. (funny how they took off when the arrow was released and they lowered their back and hind legs as if they where digging in to take off at warp speed - that arrow would go over their back and sometimes I gave up looking for that arrow after 30 minutes.) Now with a handgun/shotgun or rifle - they all would have been shot at and probably bagged?%*. I think I remember shooting a couple cartridges back then having "fake" bullets, as those bullets refused to hit anything - never got a refund either.

I suppose if one were in a tree stand/tower - things would be different - but in my limited experience I have found if you wait too long for that "perfect" shot - you don't get a shot - period. Sometimes for some, that's no problem but for me, it usually meant a good fireside story but no deer meat that year unless a relative gave me some.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosth View Post
I grew up in shotgun and slug country. Was not much worry about where to hit them. Idea was to hit them. Lot of air around those deer when they are moving.

Over the years the thing that put venison on my table was

A Don't stand out, hunker down and tuck in.

B If they are coming my way, let them come.

The 10 point 200 lb buck on my wall jumped over a deadfall, a firebush, and me. Distance from the end of the barrel to the side of the deer was in inches. Like less than 6 inches.

Slugs may not be super accurate, although these days with rifled slug barrels some guys are getting pretty good results.

But they are a big chunk of lead. And if you put one in a good spot. Don't chase that deer too quickly, give it 15 minutes to lay down, stiffen up and bleed out. Well they will put meat in the pot.

Look what a 20 ga with a rifled barrel will do . Hickcock 45 also does some pretty good shooting with a 12 ga smooth barrel shotgun at over 200yds off hand . Check out this on his youtube channel.

Neck shots are my favorite when close and shooting conditions are good.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page