45 Long Colt - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:27 AM

I paid 400$ for just a barrel and was tickled pink to get it at that price.

I'd pay 500$ for the whole gun in good condition.

6 or 6.5 grains of Red Dot below a 230 gr cast bullet = meat in the pot.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

What kind of velocity can I expect from everyday factory loads, not the cowboy loads? Will the frame will handle +P loads?
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Gun Cabinet

My first one was reamed to 454 Casull and pushed 250gr FTXs to 2200fps. The SB2 frame is strong enough for 460 S&W loads.

2400, H110, W296, and AA1680 will propel 45 Colt loads into and perhaps beyond 44 Mag velocities. Just be sure that the bullets will perform as needed in the velocity range you load them to. Pistol bullets are just that, pistol bullets.

Factory loads vary greatly. So many different manufacturers...

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem

Last edited by dinny; 10-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
It can be loaded a bit hotter than a .44 mag with the right loads
No it can not...I see this all the time and it simply is not correct. Now having said that, the 45 Colt when loaded with the upper end of Ruger/TC loads will equal and sometimes exceed the killing power of the 44 magnum. It will do this simply because of heavier bullets and a larger diameter and do it with less pressure but, it will not be a hotter load than the 44 magnum.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Good deal! Snatch that baby up!

Colt 1860 - it just feels right.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 PM

I have 2 unfired 45 Colt Buffalo Carbines I'll list on classified if anyone is interested.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 AM

Gohon nailed it.

They are essentially once you get into the higher end ruger only loads neck and neck.

.44Mag has advantage of higher saami pressures.
.45 colt is .452 instead of .430 so it gains a little there.

.44 mag has the advantage in that the round was created in the modern era, with modern steels and pistols made to contain the pressures.

There are a lot of old colt and other pistols out there from the days of black powder that would blow up with a high pressure load.
So they had to be careful about loads.

That being said, they both have the case capacity with hot powders to get significant speed on a 230 gr or larger cast boolit.
Either at reasonable range with reasonable speed will hit game like a ton of bricks.

So if you want to talk "faster" you need to get into specifics. Or IMO your blowing hot air. Just my opinion.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

* Sighting options *

My old eyes aren’t going to work with these irons. Looking through the FAQS the XS Ghost sight looks interesting. Maybe a Leupold VX1 or VX2 in 1-4x20. Opinions please, need it functional but also want to keep “the look”.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM

GREAT caliber, good price that I would pay if I wanted a third one. :

I have hunted deer with one exclusively before I cought the 357 Maxi bug. I cannot actually tell you how many deer fell to my marlins shooting 21g of 296 W/300g Speer bullet... But It will shoot end to end of a northern whitetail. Its killed deer hogs and one bear for me. Most shots DRT.
One of my handis is re chambered to 454 and shoots real nice. I dont push it as hard as Dinny appears to.

I have never been a 43 mag fan, there is nothing it can do I cannot do better with my 45 Colt. Accept claim to be something its not. :

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ol BW

Have you considered a Skinner peep sight? Another option might be a Williams peep from a 45-70 BC with the small diameter peep unscrewed to reveal a large diameter loop to peep through.

Man, ya gotta be careful when typing "peep" that many times!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page