Questions for 450 Marlin Ultra Hunter Owners - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnIron View Post
I assume you think they will stop making factory ammunition soon?
Personally, I don't think they'll stop, but it will get more scarce and expensive as time goes on. As per what you said, right now you are limited to two manufacturers and three loads between them. So it's going to be a real pain in the backside to find it, and will cost you your first born for a box of ammo when you do. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against oddball calibers, and this would definitely be a fun one to play with, but I would recommend that you either stick with something more common and easily available, or start handloading. I load all my own.

A lot of people hesitate due to fear of how dangerous it is, space, etc, etc. For the cost of a box of ammo, you can get a loading manual that will include a full explanation of the process. I bet that if you were to get a manual, and actually read it, it will take any concerns away because it really isn't any kind of black magic you're messing with, but just a simple process. There's a lot of side things you can get into, like casting, etc, but its easy to start off and no one says you have to complicate it unless you choose to. As to space, I have my press set up on a 30"x30" table that I can move anywhere in the house I want, and then put away when not needed. You really don't need a whole room dedicated to it, although some of us would like to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I actually had a single stage press at one time. I loaded 357& 44 magnums. In a few years I may start back but for now all factory loads.

Last edited by TnIron; 06-03-2018 at 08:25 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnIron View Post
I assume you think they will stop making factory ammunition soon?
I assume that since there is not a large customer base for a cartridge with this power, there will never be a large market to support the manufacture of lots of ammunition. You can use the ultra magnums and super short magnums as an example. There never was a big need for them and ammunition for them is not often seen. The 450 fits between the 45/70 and 458 Winchester and does nothing that either of them could not do. If every hunter in the US could regularly hunt moose and elk with a season limit of 5 or more each, then there might be a chance the 450 would remain viable as a readily available factory offering. But a Marlin 45/70 would serve the same purpose and the ammo will be cheaper because of the large number of existing rifles for it.

EDIT: Not that you should not get a 450, just be aware that ammo will probably always be scarce and expensive AND there is no reason the gun will likely ever have any collector value.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Why no collector value? Is it simply because so many H&R made so many Handi's?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail Hunter View Post
I picked one up several years ago and now it is a safe queen. As I was told at the time, be sure that your bowels are empty before shooting. It is about like a 3 inch 12 gauge. It's manageable and very accurate with factory Horrnady 325 gr ammo, 1" 3 shot group at 100 yds. Have never hunted with it but simply because I prefer my 45/70 guns.

Good Luck
Richard
Thats pretty darn accurate! Its surprising how well this platform can perform.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM

I've got a .444 with the laminated stock, never fired it, since I'm 77 and from what I read in the foregoing posts, maybe I shouldn't shoot it (lol)
olcop1
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcop1 View Post
I've got a .444 with the laminated stock, never fired it, since I'm 77 and from what I read in the foregoing posts, maybe I shouldn't shoot it (lol)
olcop1
Is it the laminated thumbhole stock?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:26 AM

No, not the thumbhole model, just a grey laminated stock, "Ultra" model, does have nice checkering though.
olcop1
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:18 PM

The .450 is an excellent cartridge, mild to wild and no worries about firing it in a Trapdoor. Hornady brass is still available along with ammo.
I had a custom bolt action in.450 Marlin and it was a wonderful gun. Top reloads and factory loads kick pretty good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM

olcop my .444 handi is one of my 2 most accurate rifles of all time.

Any bullet 220 gr up to 310, 6 to 13 grains of Red Dot.
Easy on the shoulder and ears, dang accurate, and thrifty as heck.

She's a winner in my book.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page