Graybeard Outdoors banner

NEF, SB2 30/30 Deer Hunter One Shot One Harvest.

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian Dennis 
#1 ·
Well Folks, We have Anterless Deer season in For The Weekend. And the Weather is starting to Finally cool down to Hunt some Deer . So I had sometime yesterday morning. I grabbed my New Second Hand SB2 30/30 with the 3x9 Bushel Banner on it I gave it the Name "Old Faithful." First time out in the field with Old Faithful.So I always get excited To try out my Gear . I took the Ole Blue Box Ammo .150 gr SP FN . Was also Curious to see how this Ammo would perform . Well I got to the Ground Blind and wasn't there 20 min and here came the Heard . So I found the one For Harvest to Manage the Heard and to also put some meat on the table . Well Folks Old Faithful Let out a Load Crack and Down went the deer A Perfect Heart Shot the Bullet passed Right through Deer . The Deer went about 35 yards for me to Receive it .Old Faithful Performed Well. I'm happy with My New used Gun . Might have to Find a Different Round to use because I like to Drop them where they stand .But Over all not bad for a Round that cost me 25 cents. Now time to Start Thinking about Buck Season as I now know what to expect From "OLD FAITHFUL."

#4 ·
170 gr or bigger would be where I'd start. 30 yards is not bad IMO.

#5 ·
. I found out when skinning the deer that this 150 gr gelled the whole front quarter it had a entrance hole a about this size of a quarter so I have a good many rounds of this stuff because I got it for 5 bucks a box . The last few Years I had fun taking the SKS out Hunting using some Wolf 122 gr HP. I had picked serval boxes of it up for 5 bucks too . But believe it or not that round dropped them where they stood with one shot . But when your a Round that 25 cents and get a Harvest. Out on my Ridge it's a good Day

#7 ·
Congrats on the deer harvest White Feather!

I will use my 30-30 Handi-rifle this year as well to fill my antlerless tag. I just put a different scope on and bore sighted it in. A quick trip out to the range to zero it and I'm good to go!

#9 · (Edited)
I will say I enjoy the Trigger Pull on my Handi 30/30 I still enjoy using a single shot to Hunt with. H&R was my First Gun I ever took deer hunting . My oldest son scored his first Buck with a 410 topper model with a Winchester Slug two years ago I taught him all you need is that one well placed shot . And my youngest son will soon be hunting deer and when he starts It will be on a H&R firearm.

#11 ·
I am new to this site but not new to killing deer with a .30-30 rifle, since 1970. It is the reason I'm not that good at tracking. I've been hunting a shotgun-only area for 20 years, much of it with a 20 ga. Ultra slugger. I just acquired a closet queen Handi rifle in 7mm08 and cant wait to shoot it. Belated Congratulations on your single shot deer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.